Esamir Changes on PTR - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is Marsman Related to Barry White?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-16, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Esamir Changes on PTR

Anyone had a chance to look around yet? People seem pretty happy overall. Here's a few threads and galleries.

http://imgur.com/a/AOT2g

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...esamir.141142/

Also a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa5CnvndXMs

Seems they have done some very interesting things on the continent.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-07-16, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Re: Esamir Changes on PTR

Truely excellent changes... but only if the domes are coming too overwise it is a lolpodders wetdream.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-07-16, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Its like having a brand new map.
Old 2013-07-16, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Eggy
Sergeant

What sledge said ^^.

Lots of improvements, that ive been discusing with my outfit for weeks.

More ammo towers AND they are at sensible positions. Crossroads and junctions outside bases rather than in crouded courtyards or next to walls.

Lots more scenery items. Trees, purple spikes, rocks, mounds. All good for hiding vehicles and good for infantry to run from cover to cover.

Lots more "rpg" style base names and the structures match the names.

The biolabs broken up into >4 hexes making a biolab fight more fun.

There are still lots of areas where the awesome vehicle battles can occur, these areas have been made more awesome by the addition over multiple types of cover.

Clustered groups of trees, meaning you can hide a camo sunderer from the vultures.

Lots of different base types and base styles. One i looked at seemed to be a garage style base and another was an indar style high walled fortress.
There also seemed to be one that had 2 towers with pathways on multiple levels between them.

Bases with "secret" backdoor tunnels and passages.

I just hope it doesnt foobar the FPS too much.
Old 2013-07-16, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

There are some bases that are atrocious... Octagon and Geological Survey Camp leap to mind as disappointing messes. I'd like to see catwalks along the tops of the walls so that you can actually use the walls for defense, and they aren't just elevated points that LAs can hop ontop of...

But by and far I am very happy with the Esamir changes as a whole.
Old 2013-07-16, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Slackermagee
Private

I'm seeing tons more auraxium crystals/purple crystal things... maybe a new resource system is incoming within a few months?
Old 2013-07-16, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dragonskin
Major

Wow.... just WOW! Those changes actually look very good. Bases that look like actual military grade bases instead of just small villages meant for a peaceful area. It makes Esamir look so much more hostile than before and much more sci-fi. Definitely shows what they have been up to lately and why Hossin keeps getting pushed back. Looks like a completely different Esamir.

Really hope those base shields come in at the same time this rolls out. Bases kinda look like air vehicles would be shooting fish in a barrel.

Oh and I think my FPS will take a big hit. The one of the big things I liked about Esamir before was you could usually get the best FPS there out of all the maps.

Last edited by Dragonskin; 2013-07-16 at 11:24 AM.
Old 2013-07-16, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Slackermagee View Post
I'm seeing tons more auraxium crystals/purple crystal things... maybe a new resource system is incoming within a few months?
no those would be ancient petrified Vanu turds

liked the video flyby of new Esamir, looking forward to giving it a college try

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-07-16, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Bases look extremely awesome yet they kept a good amount of open terrain in between them. The dynamics on Indar are going to really change and it's going to feel much more like Planetside 1 in a good way. The flow is slowly creeping back into this game.

These changes as well as a lattice system and the respawn changes are going to be excellent additions to the game.
Old 2013-07-16, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I'd have to agree with this also...

http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/co..._easy_testing/

Need free resources or weapons/vehicles on test server to make it a more appealing place to test.

Last edited by Calista; 2013-07-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 2013-07-16, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ringring
Contributor
General

I think it's too early to say. In principle yep, they look good but how will they play out?

Example: Palos Array. This base has high walls all around it and 3 small entrances. One building containing one of the entrances has an accessible roof and is the only one that looks down on the courtyard.

So, attackers, it seems, simply need to zerg that building from outside, occupy the roof and they've effectively won in one fell swoop!

All I'm saying is that the fights may not play out as you expect.

My concern is where is the space for tanks. I'm happy enough that bases have to be infantry fights, but outside should be a tank zone.

The bases are too close together imho. Esamir was a great continent with the familiar base issues, but otherwise it was fine.

I've watched Itzmurdr's (sp) fly through. My comment is that Esamir is supposed to be the tank continent while Amerish is more geared for infantry. I don't like Amerish so I won't be particularly happy if Esamir turns out to be a snow-white Americh,,,,mates.

I'm repeating myself here. Base changes, good in principle but I'll wait to play them before deciding whether they're great or not.
Old 2013-07-16, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Qwan
Captain

Bases lookin good.
Old 2013-07-16, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Some of the bases seem pretty damn close to one another. Interesting to see battles play-out with really big Pop - especially if a classic three-way gets going with neighboring (close) bases.

....it's cool to see they are indeed willing to restructure base. That is an encouraging sign/affirmation.

This "new' Esamir layout really caused me to think about TTK. If they keep the TTK short, it could be more frustrating dynamics than enjoyable.

I'd like to see the PS2 Team increase TTK by 10% - but do it under-the-cover-of-darkness. Do not tell anyone. See if anyone notices. Reassess the TTK again, and try another covert 10% increase. I think they could do this at least two or three times before anyone would notice. They could do this between now and Thanksgiving. I suspect the reviews would be far more positive than negative. But, who knows.

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-07-16 at 01:13 PM.
Old 2013-07-16, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
LeilaniRock
Private

Just did a flyby and I am really excited for the new Esamir \0/
Can't wait for it to go live.
Old 2013-07-16, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Wargrim
Sergeant

This is looking extremely promising.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion