Reopen PS1 trials? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How many greif points do i need for a certification
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Allow trials for the orginal Planetside?
Yes 31 56.36%
No 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-06, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: Reopen PS1 trials?

Sure I can. Objectively, to anyone that doesnt know me, I'm a pseudo-intellectual douchebag who doesn't especially like being told that my opinion is wrong.

The difference here is, I know I'm right. I know that opening trials back up would kill planetside, and I'd give it less than a month to do so. Therefore, factually, it is a bad idea. There are no two ways about it to me. There is nothing you can show me or say to me to convince me otherwise. It isn't a matter of me not being a dick and not browbeating you, its that, to me, your opinion is so flawed that it doesn't even warrant consideration.

Am I a dick? Absolutely.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Things to remember when debating p0intman.

You are wrong, even if you are right.

Comparing cheating in PlanetSide 1 vs PlanetSide 2 is like comparing a Model T to a Modern Car.

Will there be cheating? Yup. However there will be a much larger focus on it this time SOE is betting alot on PlanetSide 2.

That being said SOE is not going to dedicate resources to opening up PlanetSide 1. They are going to keep the focus on where the money will come from.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-06, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Windmill
Private

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
I'm a pseudo-intellectual douchebag who doesn't especially like being told that my opinion is wrong.

Am I a dick? Absolutely.
Yes, you are a pseudo-intellectual douche bag who happens to also be a dick. However, you still seem can't quite grasp the fact that opinions can't be wrong. That's what makes them opinions, they're subjective. Things that are subjective can't be proven or unproven. You can disagree with someone's opinion and state your reasons why that is, but--here I'll just reiterate for the third time--opinions can't be wrong (which you've been claiming in literally all your posts).

I certainly hope there aren't a lot of people like you in this community; I think that would be enough for quite a few to not want to buy a free game.
Old 2012-06-06, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Windmill View Post
Yes, you are a pseudo-intellectual douche bag who happens to also be a dick. However, you still seem can't quite grasp the fact that opinions can't be wrong. That's what makes them opinions, they're subjective. Things that are subjective can't be proven or unproven. You can disagree with someone's opinion and state your reasons why that is, but--here I'll just reiterate for the third time--opinions can't be wrong (which you've been claiming in literally all your posts).

I certainly hope there aren't a lot of people like you in this community; I think that would be enough for quite a few to not want to buy a free game.
Firstly, I'll say this one time and one time alone, I will not argue with an opinion that is fundamentally flawed as the OP's or yours is:

The only way opening PS1 back up could ever hope to work is if they released a major patch that reworks a lot of things, including the chat and name text to prevent hacking and make it a lot more difficult.

They won't. That's why they're rebooting it with a sequel. If you want it or not does not matter in the slightest, it isn't worth their time or effort. The last time they did it, almost as many people unsubscribed from disgust as had happened with BFRs and Aftershock. The only reason anyone with any sanity would do it at this point would be to utterly wreck what is left of PS1, and then if Sony wanted PS1 gone, they'd pull the plug instead.

As for your taunt, I want you to consider that you are a new player coming into an established community and are threatening someone for their attitude and claim that it might reflect poorly on others because I don't have the patience to explain to you how your reception of what appears to be my opinion is flawed.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Things to remember when debating p0intman.

You are wrong, even if you are right.

Comparing cheating in PlanetSide 1 vs PlanetSide 2 is like comparing a Model T to a Modern Car.

Will there be cheating? Yup. However there will be a much larger focus on it this time SOE is betting alot on PlanetSide 2.

That being said SOE is not going to dedicate resources to opening up PlanetSide 1. They are going to keep the focus on where the money will come from.
Hamma,

If I were debating something, that'd be true. I was stating fact and have history to back it up.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-06-06 at 11:23 PM.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Wahooo
Captain

NO to trials. Hackers are in any FPS, but in most any other game they are not 100% game breaking in PS they are and bringing back free trials would overwhelm the game.

I would like to see any account that has paid a month of sub time for the game, that is in good standing, activate the game free to play. Follow that with no temporary bans for getting caught cheating. Those should be perma-bans. Get in the game for the price of a 1 month sub and play on. The game I would think get the influx of pop and should cut down on the number of hackers.
Old 2012-06-09, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
NO to trials. Hackers are in any FPS, but in most any other game they are not 100% game breaking in PS they are and bringing back free trials would overwhelm the game.

I would like to see any account that has paid a month of sub time for the game, that is in good standing, activate the game free to play. Follow that with no temporary bans for getting caught cheating. Those should be perma-bans. Get in the game for the price of a 1 month sub and play on. The game I would think get the influx of pop and should cut down on the number of hackers.
I agree with this. I'd like to see SOE give out some free time again this summer to give the game a nice last summer of gameplay.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-06-09, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Haro
Master Sergeant

Holy crap, everyone CHILL OUT. It's like listening to children arguing back and forth. Take it to private or don't bother with it at all.

To get back on subject: I'd say no. Believe me, nostalgia wants me to say yes, and I want to pilot my reaver or gun a vanguard again really bad. But one quick read through the forums shows the game is absolutely on its last legs. Hacking, BR40, and other issues make it very inaccessible. SOE won't put resources into a product that probably won't last the year. Instead, those resources go into PS2, so that hacking isn't an issue there, and that the players have a great experience.

We're just going to have to bite the bullet and wait for beta.
Old 2012-06-09, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
duomaxwl
Captain

Free trials, no. People who played and payed before, a month or two would be okay (as long as I get credited a month as well.)
If they reopened the trial for anybody, I'd be unsubbed in a minute. I'm not paying $15 a month to be killed by some hacker who made a free trial.
Old 2012-06-10, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Huntsab
Sergeant

I say yes bring back the trials and get SOE's anti hacker GM's online to oversee the game. There is no excuse, there must be GM's on 24/7. We are paying money for what? I would love to see some of these GM's (you know the ones they gonna have for PS2) start work a little eraly and oversee PS1 for a while before PS2 goes live!
Old 2012-06-10, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Crator
Major General

Would be nice. But hacker issues would kill it and leave bad taste in your mouth. Would defiantly raise hacker awareness. For those who don't know, PS1 Reserves program allowed people to play for free with limits applied to your character. The exploits used by hackers totally ruined game play for everyone. And they could be achieved by a single player. They would get banned but sometimes it would take forever for it to happen. So a whole weekend could be ruined easily. And even once they were banned they would just create another trial account cause it's free and hack away again. They closed the Reserves program for this very reason and you don't see the blatant exploit hacking anymore since then.
Old 2012-06-10, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Verruna
Private

PS1 as it is cannot even reach half a pop lock across all empires. While the new players would definitely be nice for one last Hoo rah for PS1, The hackers are beyond gamebreaking, it wasn't a issue of just wall hacking or aimbotting, the hacks they had were literally gamebreaking for whoevers empire was a enemy of the hacker. Since they had no GMs the vast majority of days.. these gamebreaking hackers would be on for extremely large sessions without any bans.. if they ever get banned. Me and 4 other friends who were paying money last time they had trials all had to quit, it was still fun and pops were a bit better back then.. but playing with those kinda hackers that very obviously weren't being taken care of was not worth 15 bucks a month.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sensator
Private

I never actually played the game with a Sub. I had a blast when there were year trials though. I'd probably buy an account if the PS2 beta wasn't coming out soon, but I'd love it if they reenabled trials so I could give PS1 a go again.

Also, if SOE ever wants PS1 to be long standing, they need to make it free to play (to a point). Like most other low populated games are.

Last edited by Sensator; 2012-06-11 at 05:06 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Crator
Major General

Pretty sure PS1 goes away once PS2 is here. Not to mention PS1 will most likely be a ghost town, even if it were free, since PS2 is free.
Old 2012-06-11, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Socks
Private

Really would like to play ps1 with alot of players again, but as stated before ps1 is nothing like ps2. It doesnt represent ps2 well. Next to that it has quite the learningcurve for it to be really fun. Especially because ps1 now primarily consist of veterans. So it problably will only discourage new players
Old 2012-06-11, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Planetside 1 is a shitty, shitty game and nothing good can come from having people excited about Planetside 2 playing its predecessor. At this point the best thing they could do is completely shut the game down so that people won't get the wrong idea about what Planetside 2 is going to be like.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion