I'm very worried about lag. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I am your god! And I demand cheesy sacrifices!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-29, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Re: I'm very worried about lag.

Originally Posted by Karriz View Post
I'm a bit worried about bandwith usage. 64, even 128 players is all fine on my 1mb connection, but what about 2000? Is player data sent from the whole continent area?
First off, the bandwith required for each user on the map is not too much. For simplicity, allow me to consider the case where the connection is 1MB (not 1mb). Even if you had all of those 2000 players sending you 10 packets a second, that means each packet could be over 50 bytes. (lets say 3 longs for the XYZ coordinates [~3*8=24], then velocity vectors: 3 shorts [~3*2=6], then an id for the animation (reloading, crouching, jumping, etc) [2 bytes], then an unique ID for the weapon customization code (includes both the gun and the camo pattern)[4 bytes], then an unique id for the armor/vehicle(dictates the class as well) [2 bytes], an id for the weapon loadout [2 bytes], a list for the player customization specifics, assume at most 5 properties: [~2*5=10 bytes]
Total packet size: 24+6+2+4+2+2+10=50 bytes.) So it is plausible that even with 2000 people sending you packets at a reasonable rate the 1MB bandwidth would be able to handle it. Of course you could send packets for people nearby more frequently than people far away. You could also have multiple packet sizes for people far away vs. close up, where the far away ones will be just an XYZ, Velocity, and an armor but not customization details.

Admittedly, I have not taken into consideration the projectiles, but hopefully it shows you that 2000 people is certainly plausible on a 1MB connection. Now considering your 1mb connection, which is probably more common than an 8mb (1 Byte = 8 bits) connection, we can have the following optimization: Every 10 packets (assuming uniform distribution of when the 10th packet occurs for a given person) we send all of the customization details with the location/direction details, and include a unique id for each player, then we can store the customization details in-memory on the client for each person, which will be updated once a second. Thus, roughly speaking, we have a plausible netcode that will work quite well on your 1mb connection that can support 2000 people running around.

Furthermore, it has been said multiple times that the game uses modern netcode including only sending what you need. I think it was said by Higby that for example, the number of gernades a player has on his vest won't be sent to you until he is really close. Likewise a cloaker that should be 100% invisible won't even be sending you packets at all.

Of course the details of their implementation change, but you can be sure that they are not going to do something stupid like indiscriminately sending data for all the players on the server to everyone.

It was also said that if for some reason there were to be 1000 people standing in a room that it would lag. That is why they have the mission system in place to keep the battle spread out for the most part. (of course, this means while normally the battle will be spread out, sometimes we will get an insane concentrated battle) Also, I don't think any of us here even have an idea of just how many people 1000 players looks like. In PlanetSide, a group of 30 people in the Lobby of an interlink was INSANE.

We also should realize that there have been better algorithms developed for certain computational geometry and similar problems within the rather recent past. Some of these make a big difference in terms of efficiency. It would be cool to hear if there are any really neat algorithms being used that were not around when PS1 was developed. My guess is that there are and that the result is a significant performance boost.

Last edited by SniperSteve; 2012-05-29 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2012-05-29, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
I save that line for when the servers go down unexpectedly.

I could have elaborated yesterday but typing on an iPad can be awful so I'll do it now. We absolutely understand the effect lag can have on a gameplay experience especially in regards to PvP based FPS combat. It's a top priority and there are folks doing their absolute best to make sure the issue is mitigated if not eliminated all together.
Game will be great!
Old 2012-05-29, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I used to worry about lag. Then I realized that the average human reaction time (measured from people who want to know their reaction time), is about 200ms. Tack onto that your input lag and display lag, and you're already shooting at ghosts.

Just enjoy the ride.

(edit: which is to say - the perception of smoothness is probably more important than your latency)
((edit part deux: I guess your input and display lag are already factored into that number. le derp.))

Last edited by maradine; 2012-05-29 at 11:44 AM.
Old 2012-05-29, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
I believe in PS1 the client tracked ALL players on a cont in real time.
No.

Its because it was designed in the 56k Era, and front loaded all graphics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion