Destructable Bases - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Alt+F4 for prize!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-04-11, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Wardog NC
Private

Destructable Bases

In real warfare if someone can't capture a place they often just destroy it instead. I think in this game the attacking forces should be able to destroy certain parts of the enemy base (such as landing pads, towers, etc.) and have a new class that is able to repair the dammaged or destroyed parts of the base. This would add more options on how you want to crush your enemies. You could:
A: Destroy the entire base(or key parts of it) or
B:Capture it the regular way

Another thing is have a more realistic plane crashes because normally once your plane is hit you don't just fall out the bottom, you get pulled down with the plane and it explodes when it hits the ground(or if a missile hits it hard enough to make it explode in mid air)

Last 3 things are, that the pilots should be able to eject from their planes easier and use parachutes if their planes are going down. You should also make it more realistic in the ways that people get in and out of the planes/tanks/trucks (doors, cockpit lids, ect.)
Old 2013-04-11, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Destructable Bases

Originally Posted by Wardog NC View Post
In real warfare if someone can't capture a place they often just destroy it instead. I think in this game the attacking forces should be able to destroy certain parts of the enemy base (such as landing pads, towers, etc.) and have a new class that is able to repair the dammaged or destroyed parts of the base. This would add more options on how you want to crush your enemies. You could:
A: Destroy the entire base(or key parts of it) or
B:Capture it the regular way
How would it work? Would a single tank that bored be able to drive into a base and start destroying it for fun? Could a Liberator do this easily with the dalton from range? It just seems too exploitable with how much that is happening in the game.

Originally Posted by Wardog NC View Post
Last 3 things are, that the pilots should be able to eject from their planes easier and use parachutes if their planes are going down. You should also make it more realistic in the ways that people get in and out of the planes/tanks/trucks (doors, cockpit lids, ect.)
PS2 lacks the animation team to do this. (I think they moved their artists to Everquest Next). Anyway in PS1 we had full exit/enter animations and it worked fine, but PS2 dropped them because of time. It's unlikely we'll see them anytime soon.
Old 2013-04-11, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
leifnielsen
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
PS2 lacks the animation team to do this. (I think they moved their artists to Everquest Next). Anyway in PS1 we had full exit/enter animations and it worked fine, but PS2 dropped them because of time. It's unlikely we'll see them anytime soon.
I don't understand the logic behind this. One of the biggest things MMO's have going for them is that new content is constantly added in order to get people to keep paying for the game. Why would they move their entire animation team over to a different game when this one is just barely getting off the ground?

They're just about to add the new buggy vehicles, which require animation for the wheels and gun turrets. They're just about to give the TR maxes a new "Lockdown" ability, which requires animation. When they add new types of guns and new vehicles in the future, those are all going to require new animations as well. They have to have some animators still working on PS2.

When you say they didn't add the enter/exit animations for vehicles because of time, do you mean the time it takes for the animation to take place? Or the time it requires to animate all that stuff and they couldn't because they had to get the game out on time?
Old 2013-04-12, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
HiroshiChugi
Captain

It would be way too much for the game engine to render all at once. Just think; it would have to renderin ALL of thebases on each continent that have damage to them. Also, what would be the time it takes for the bases to regen the damage that they've taken by small armsfire, rockets, (soon to be bombs as well), tank cannonc fire, etc.? It's too much for a game on this scale and of this magnitude. Maybe on a standard FPS, but not Planetside 2...
Old 2013-04-16, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

See it seems fun, but the system really doesnt want to work with gameplay. I instead support killzone style destruction where you just blow bits off the skeleton. Then nanite systems can come online for automated repair. It would just be a cosmetic update with no strategic purpose but to be cool.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault