Gameplay: Priority targets - squad leader assigned. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's not polite to stare
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-15, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
mercutiouk
Private

Question Priority targets - squad leader assigned.

At a certain command rank have the squad leader able to mark certain enemy characters. It could be an aura, an arrow, they grow bigger as the squad see's them, whatever, something that makes it clear certain people should be targetted with prejudice. It could be used to ensure particularly irritating opposition has a hard time.

Have some bonus associated with this target being either easier to track (appears on squads radar regardless of position unless in infil suit maybe?) or a small exp bonus/maybe have it give CR experience without being squad lead.
Old 2012-06-15, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dagron
Captain

Re: Priority targets - squad leader assigned.

Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
At a certain command rank have the squad leader able to mark certain enemy characters. It could be (1) an aura, an arrow, they grow bigger as the squad see's them, whatever, something that makes it clear certain people should be targetted with prejudice. (2) It could be used to ensure particularly irritating opposition has a hard time.

Have some bonus associated with this target being either easier to track (appears on squads radar regardless of position unless in infil suit maybe?) or a small exp bonus/maybe have it give CR experience without being squad lead.
1 - Marking people in any way that makes aiming at them easier is bad, ask the people complaining about the current spotting system.

2 - You mean it would be used to ensure someone gets gangbanged... it would be used to grief. Newbs/casuals/weak players would all be screwed.
Plus, even for experienced players looking for a challenge, it's no fun when people just click a button and turn you into a target for a whole army... no matter how good you are, one man armies don't really exist, you'd be a pile of ash on the floor in a few seconds.

Sorry, i think i understand your reasons to want this, but the potential to ruin the experience for a lot of people is far too great imo.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-15 at 08:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
1 - Marking people in any way that makes aiming at them easier is bad, ask the people complaining about the current spotting system.
Aiming at someone is not made easier by marking them,only spotting the target and keeping track of them is.
If you have a hard time spotting someone who isn't a vibrant shade of (insert empire color scheme here) you got issues.

2 - You mean it would be used to ensure someone gets gangbanged... it would be used to grief. Newbs/casuals/weak players would all be screwed.
Plus, even for experienced players looking for a challenge, it's no fun when people just click a button and turn you into a target for a whole army... no matter how good you are, one man armies don't really exist, you'd be a pile of ash on the floor in a few seconds.
I fail to see your logic here. "Ensure someone gets gangbanged" obviously we want everyone shooting the medic, not the heavy (in TF2 terms). Or in this case perhaps the engineer and not the MAX he is healing.

If anything this HELPS newbs,casuals and weak players by having someone more experienced marking what they should be shooting at for them, hopefully coordinating and teaching them the game in general if they are in said players squad.

Turning into a target for the whole army is blown out of proportion, but in theory, against experienced players that big white+red cross or engineer backpack + arm device should make you a target regardless.
By being a priority target and being on the field, knowlegable players will call you out on VOIP and focus fire on you.
This suggestion simply allows experienced players to quickly identify a target for newbs with ease and without VOIP.

Sorry, i think i understand your reasons to want this, but the potential to ruin the experience for a lot of people is far too great imo.
"Ruin the experience for a lot of people?" I hardly see how.

Last edited by Kriegson; 2012-06-15 at 09:07 PM.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Kriegson View Post
Aiming at someone is not made easier by marking them...
I find it much easier to just aim below the big glowy arrow in my HUD than at an object that is subjct to visibility conditions (lighting, weather, etc), that can be camouflaged (people's opinions aside, right now it's in the game) or that can be constantly changing shape and size (crouching/jumping/dancing).

I fail to see your logic here. "Ensure someone gets gangbanged" obviously we want everyone shooting the medic, not the heavy (in TF2 terms). Or in this case perhaps the engineer and not the MAX he is healing.
(...)
Turning into a target for the whole army is blown out of proportion
We do want people to focus on targets, but a system that makes that into something trivial pretty much ensures that everyone will shoot at the glowy target.
Let's not make focus fire so easy that it effectively reduces life expectancy to a brief moment.

If anything this HELPS newbs,casuals and weak players by having someone more experienced marking what they should be shooting at for them, hopefully coordinating and teaching them the game in general if they are in said players squad.
(...)
By being a priority target and being on the field, knowlegable players will call you out on VOIP and focus fire on you.
I don't like what modern games do to the gaming community. Holding people's hands like they're toddlers doesn't help them become better players.

That being said, the ability to coordenate your actions with your team is part of the game's basic skills. Using VOIP for coordenation is good, having an automated system to do so isn't. It turns players into mindless robots...
If we start removing required skills from the table, soon we won't even need to aim anymore, just tab-target and press keys until our fireballs and lightning bolts lay waste to the oposing team.

Before you say so: i'm not hardcore, in fact i'm the most casual gamer i know. I do have some understanding of the serious play style though, and i know how important it's needs are.

"Ruin the experience for a lot of people?" I hardly see how.
You may not feel it would ruin the game for you, but hopefully now you see my perspective.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-16 at 01:05 AM.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
mercutiouk
Private

Just to be clear, i'm suggesting this is a perk for a certain command rank. It would be something the squad/platoon leader did to mark targets for his team only. Not visible to anyone outside his team but to basically direct his fellows.

The extra perks suggested with it, well, take em or leave em. You do occasionally just get that one guy that rapes multiple guys repeatedly be it because of high skills, an OP loadout or semi-abusive use of a crutch that gives him an upper hand. This just allows a squad leader to point the guy out easilly to his team, not much beyond that.

It perhaps wasn't so clear in my first post that I intended this to be purely for the squad/platoon to use but:

"At a certain command rank have the squad leader able to mark certain enemy characters" would imply I was talking more about a leader giving a squad a benefit rather than:

"At a certain command rank have the ability to mark certain enemy characters" which is probably more how it would have been put if I meant "mark targets for the faction".

I also didn't mention a cap but lets say only 2/3 guys can be "painted" for special prejudice.

Last edited by mercutiouk; 2012-06-15 at 09:50 PM.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dagron
Captain

Just to be clear, i'm suggesting this is a perk for a certain command rank. It would be something the squad/platoon leader did to mark targets for his team only. Not visible to anyone outside his team but to basically direct his fellows.
(...)
It perhaps wasn't so clear in my first post that I intended this to be purely for the squad/platoon to use.
You were clear, i just felt so strongly about that suggestion that i exaggerated, saying the whole army would see the mark. Being a little dramatic in my reactions is a bad habit i sometimes display.

I admit that was wrong of me as it would distort people's view of your proposition. I'm sorry.

Back on topic:

In my view, 10 people targeting the same player would be enough to ensure they died too quickly.

I also didn't mention a cap but lets say only 2/3 guys can be "painted" for special prejudice.
Just 1 would already be enough to cause mayhem: Squad Leader paints Target > Boom! Target dead > Rinse & repeat.
The game would quickly deteriorate into "which squad burns down the other more quickly?".

You do occasionally just get that one guy that rapes multiple guys repeatedly be it because of high skills, an OP loadout or semi-abusive use of a crutch that gives him an upper hand. This just allows a squad leader to point the guy out easilly to his team, not much beyond that.
Your intentions may not be much beyond that, but they have to consider all the possibile ways in which something is going to affect the game before implementing it, not just it's intended purpose.

For example, it being used to balance things out against OP loadouts or crutches wouldn't work, it would just unbalance them even more as the OP people would also use it. Not just that... it would definitely be used by everyone all the time. It's a powerful tool that people wouldn't only remember when they were being raped.

Plus, that would be unfair to the guy who worked hard to be the best, as he would be the focus of every squad that recognized him and would effectively be prevented from playing.
IMO, if a player deserves that kind of attention, they also deserve to only be taken down by the most organized forces, not by any squad of beginners who just found out how to press a key to mark a priority target.
(In my previous post i talk about my views on the importance of the ability to coordenate and why it shouldn't be replaced by a keystroke.)

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-15 at 11:14 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vanath
Corporal

To be fair a proper squad would be using voice chat to do this anyway.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault