Need help. Axial vs Centrifugal fan - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the game where aerobics arent needed.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-07-11, 03:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deezy
Corporal

[Resolved] Need help. Axial vs Centrifugal fan

First I'll go over my airflow/cooling setup:

I have a Corsair 600t case.

I've added an additional 120mm front intake via aftermarket drive bay cage to complement the stock 200mm stock Corsair intake fan.

I'm using the 120mm rear fan in conjunction with an H100 liquid cooler mounted on the top (240mm radiator) with two 120mm fans in a pull configuration as exhaust. Push & push pull won't work on the H100 because of fan size (including 12mm thick fans, I've tried) and DIMM / heatsink location on my MB. I don't like the aesthetic of mounting the radiator and fans on the optional mesh side panel. I'm covering this just in case someone tries to comment on it. Also, fret not on the psu placement, the 600T is elevated via built in spacers and also has a vent w/ a screen on the bottom for the psu to pull cold, filtered air from the bottom and exhaust out the back.

Back to my dilemma. I'm going to be upgrading my gpu to a gtx 670 this week. My current gpu is an MSI TwinFrozrII 560ti OC. I do enjoy the axial fan's cooling and low noise. However, I'm almost positive it's negatively affecting my cpu cooling (seeing as my cooling setup draws air from the inside of the case).

So, for my next gpu, and to my chagrin, I'll be considering a centrifugal (blower) fan configuration for the cooling. My question is, how is the noise level and cooling on the newer generation centrifugal fans compared to non spec axial fan configurations? I've heard they sound like jet planes but keep hot air out of your case. Is this noise issue true or was that older cards? Now, as you can probably tell, my wiring is fairly tidy and I don't have a problem with air flow obstruction in that regard.

Should I stick with the tried and true cooling of axial fan cooling at the expense of a little more heat in the case, or should I go with a centrifugal setup?

Last edited by Deezy; 2012-07-11 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Resolved
Old 2012-07-11, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Need help. Axial vs Centrifugal fan

Is your CPU overclock currently limited by temperature?
Old 2012-07-11, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Deezy
Corporal

I've a 2500k @ 4.7Ghz stable. I currently idle @ ~40C and @ full load I get to ~70C. I can get to 4.8Ghz but I have to increase the voltage. It'll boot at that speed. Stress tests push it to the same kind of temps as 4.7Ghz, but I'll eventually get a blue screen. Not sure what to do about that atm. So, yes and no, lol. Been fiddling w/ voltage settings a bit, but haven't gotten it stable past 4.7.

Basically, I think my oc is more limited by voltage settings between cpu and memory than temps. LOL this is probably a clearer answer. It's late >.<

Last edited by Deezy; 2012-07-11 at 04:12 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
I've a 2500k @ 4.7Ghz stable. I currently idle @ ~40C and @ full load I get to ~70C. I can get to 4.8Ghz but I have to increase the voltage. It'll boot at that speed. Stress tests push it to the same kind of temps as 4.7Ghz, but I'll eventually get a blue screen. Not sure what to do about that atm. So, yes and no, lol. Been fiddling w/ voltage settings a bit, but haven't gotten it stable past 4.7.

Basically, I think my oc is more limited by voltage settings between cpu and memory than temps. LOL this is probably a clearer answer. It's late >.<
Then I wouldn't worry about lowing CPU temps by sacrificing a decent GPU cooler until CPU temps become your limitation.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Air from a twin forzr-type cooler doesn't come out at the same 60-70 degrees that the gpu is running at - it'll come off at 40 degrees tops, and immediately get mixed in with fresh cool air from that 200 mm, and then mixed some more with the drive cage air. In the end, I would be very surprised if your CPU over clock was affected by this.

Also, think of it this way: manufacturers tend to design similar cards to have similar power and thermal requirements: eg. The heat output from a 670 was designed to be the same as a 570 (actually, its a little less), which is almost the same as a 560ti. If your case runs fine now, it will running just as fine in the future with a 670.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-07-11, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

You're worrying about nothing. You've got way more circulation that you probably need already.

Worst case, lower the CPU speed a bit. It's not like a a couple hundred mhz nets you terribly much from a practical standpoint.

As far as the reference design coolers on graphics boards: The 670 is cooler and quieter than my 570 and that is quite a bit quieter than my 275 before it. None of them are particularly loud unless you keep your room rather warm.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-07-11 at 09:12 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Deezy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
You're worrying about nothing. You've got way more circulation that you probably need already.

Worst case, lower the CPU speed a bit. It's not like a a couple hundred mhz nets you terribly much from a practical standpoint.

As far as the reference design coolers on graphics boards: The 670 is cooler and quieter than my 570 and that is quite a bit quieter than my 275 before it. None of them are particularly loud unless you keep your room rather warm.
I'm a bit of an enthusiast, so lowering is never an option unless I'm not stable, . So no one really has a comparison in regards to noise on a centrifugal vs axial for the 670 series (or a slightly earlier gtx card)? The fan noise is my main concern.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

The only centrifugal coolers I'm aware of are the stock coolers and so there'll always be quieter axial options.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-test-review,3217-14.html

Compare the reference to the ASUS or Gigabyte coolers (generally regarded as the best available for the 670) and there's no contest, sound-wise.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Deezy
Corporal

I was stuck between the the EVGA 670 OC version @ $419 with the stock cooling option as well as that Gigabyte tri-fan 670 @ $389. I think I'll probably go with the Gigabyte card and oc it. Thanks all for the input.

Last edited by Deezy; 2012-07-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Don't buy the EVGA OC version, the 670 automatically overclocks itself based on TDP. That means a normal chip ends up at nearly the factory-oc speeds anyway. Being that there's no cooler upgrade on it or anything, it's a waste of $20-30.

The Gigabyte card is quieter than stock. Found with with the very first google result on "gigabyte 670 noise"...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...w,3217-12.html
and
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDI...abyte/?page=13

I'm a bit of an enthusiast, so lowering is never an option unless I'm not stable, .
Being an enthusiast is not synonymous with "being impractical". I'd also usually think the label comes with the most rudimentary Google skills...

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-07-11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 2012-07-11, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Deezy
Corporal

...Being an enthusiast is not synonymous with "being impractical". I'd also usually think the label comes with the most rudimentary Google skills...
Not sure if you're tactless or being an ass. Either way, I already resolved the issue in my previous post.
Old 2012-07-11, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Forgot to send it earlier and posted it anyway.

Mostly because
So no one really has a comparison in regards to noise on a centrifugal vs axial for the 670 series (or a slightly earlier gtx card)?
Was a google away.
And your enthusiast comment patterns after tons of people on forums about everything that seems paint a picture that anything less than balls-to-the-walls means you're not an enthusiast.

Old 2012-07-11, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Deezy
Corporal

Go on.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Pancake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
Not sure if you're tactless or being an ass.
Don't worry, we all see it.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Don't buy the EVGA OC version, the 670 automatically overclocks itself based on TDP. That means a normal chip ends up at nearly the factory-oc speeds anyway. Being that there's no cooler upgrade on it or anything, it's a waste of $20-30.
The EVGA OC cards have better binned chips, which depending on the circumstance may be worth it.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum