Virtual Reality Training [Try before you buy] - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you see black and red, you're already dead.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-02-24, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
GoldDragon
Corporal

Re: Virtual Reality Training

The fun part to that is making sure they remember it in the fight XD
Old 2011-02-25, 06:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
goneglockin
Sergeant

I always felt that outfits of a certain size should get their own persistent, instanced VR room that they could customize to some extent. And I'm talking about the environment, but I'm also talking about game mechanics. You could let them load different maps, give them death match type games and capture points, something that keeps score and has a demo/record option similar to what we see in other shooters. Play against your outfit or other outfits that accept an invite from you.

Would it take people out of the main fights? Sure. But not everyone cared for that all the time anyway. Besides, if you have a healthy game it won't matter as there will be no shortage of bodies.
Old 2011-02-27, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
GoldDragon
Corporal

Originally Posted by goneglockin View Post
I always felt that outfits of a certain size should get their own persistent, instanced VR room that they could customize to some extent. And I'm talking about the environment, but I'm also talking about game mechanics. You could let them load different maps, give them death match type games and capture points, something that keeps score and has a demo/record option similar to what we see in other shooters. Play against your outfit or other outfits that accept an invite from you.

Would it take people out of the main fights? Sure. But not everyone cared for that all the time anyway. Besides, if you have a healthy game it won't matter as there will be no shortage of bodies.
While I can appreciate this view you pointed out the poison to this idea. Some players will get more engrossed in these instanced scenarios than in playing the main point of the game. As it is with PlanetSide's current set up, if someone wants to get out of the "main fight," as I often do with my outfit, there are inactive continents and bases (or at least less active) that they can strike at.

That said, I can see how my idea of making VR more interactive can potentially have the same problem. Limiting changes to maintain the purpose of PlanetSide is important to remember even with all of these cool ideas people throw around.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Testing weapons before you spend certs.

Lets see them argue against this.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-01, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Zulthus
Colonel

I support a VR room for vehs/weapons, but many people seem to be against it for whatever reason.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Battlefield doesn't have a VR and it is the greatest game ever made.

But seriously, I would like to see the VR back into the game. It was a great place to test out weapons and vehicles to get familiarized with them before you went out to a real battle and fucked all your friendlies over.

With the inclusion of a huge number of certifications this time around, it would nice to be able to try out certs in the VR range, like more range, less recoil etc. and see how they work before you spend a cert point on them, even if they are easily obtained.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-01, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think you'll have a hard time convincing them to add in VR.

PS1 had limited certs. PS2 has unlimited certs, so even if you spend a cert on something you don't want/will never use, all you have to do is play another ten minutes and you'll get another cert. From what we saw the most you'll "lose" by making a choice you don't like is an hour or so. And even then it isn't really a loss since every cert gained is a character improvement so the only thing you lost is the opportunity to have something else a little bit sooner.

Not that I disagree with the idea, but I don't think VR is worth the dev time. Would rather they spent that on something more critical to the game than something that helps me avoid cert buyer's remorse.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
SKYeXile
Major General

We only saw the cert system for enhancing guns, remember the guns themselves are brought with SC or resources.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-06-01, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
"I won't be making this mistake therefore the problem doesn't exist"
Old 2012-06-01, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

VR was so synthetic, I never thought it gave a good approximation of how things worked in a real situation.

I'd prefer some kind of refund period: Buy the thing, you get an hour to use it. In order to keep people from being serial returners if you return something there's a timer the prevents you from buying anything for a day.

If you think about EVE with its skill system, you don't get to "test" a skill or ship. You've got to make that calculated risk.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-01, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Also prioritization is an easy argument to make. Software development comes down to scoping and prioritization. There's a lot of neat stuff that simply doesn't make the bar, and wasting time on it is squandering opportunity to do stuff that can make a huge difference in the product.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

I support VR room but only for purposes of flight and maybe driving simulation (simply to avoid pilots learning to fly ingame, this is especially important for transport vehicles like galaxies). We don't really need a virtual range however, new weapons will be unlocked only by cert points (not cash) if I understood right and since we've heard you'll get 1 cert point for just 10 mins of gameplay on average wasting a few dozen or more until finding a perfect weapon won't really be a problem at all.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
That's why I brought it up. I thought they were going with a purely cosmetic F2P model until I listened to that latest TB session. I may not remember correctly because I was tripping on some pretty strong LSD at the time, but I think Higby mentioned paid for weapons as well.

skip to 3:48

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-06-01, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Athanasios
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
Battlefield doesn't have a VR and it is the greatest game ever made.
True, but BF is not designed as MMOFPS which means that you should unlock everything pretty easily. Also, BF xp points are not translated into real money in any case.

Originally Posted by Malorn
if you spend a cert on something you don't want/will never use, all you have to do is play another ten minutes and you'll get another cert. From what we saw the most you'll "lose" by making a choice you don't like is an hour or so.
Well, the case is that some (most?) of us don't have that luxury of +1 extra hour for a mistake that could have been avoided with few clicks. Work, studies, family, for some people this 1 hour might be their PS playtime of a day.

-----------

If they don't include this VR (haven't played PS1, but assume it's similar to Tribes Ascend training servers where you can try everything), then the best 2nd solution would be to include something like mini-videos showing off the weapon/item; either in-game or in a wiki page. Like StarCraft units' abilities in SP campaign.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Bags
Lieutenant General

Rbstr's refund idea could work, probably a helluva lot easier to implement than VR.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion