If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Can we use 2 Bolt Drivers?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

The last I knew, DICE had said they couldn't do an MMOFPS for hardware reasons. But we obviously know that's not exactly true, they wouldn't be able to have the entire game world filled with Destruction, that's what I think they really meant.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
kertvon
Sergeant

I would truly be surprised if Activision developed a CoD MMO to be honest. PS2 hopes to pull in some players from the BF3/CoD crowd, and at this point PC is loosing massive headway in modern FPS titles. Most PC gamers are tired of the monotony of the existing offerings and are looking for something more meaty to sink their teeth into. Enter PS2. I think amongst PC players this game will strive, but in the console world there are too many sharks to get in the tank with. Between CoD/BF3/Dust and other offerings, PS2 venturing into console territory would be enough to stir up the giants, and while PS2 and SOE are hitting it out of the park, the mention of a CoD MMO would be a pretty fatal blow. Fanboys would be giving up first born children to play it. Considering PS2 will not put too heavy a dent into the general market share of the CoD series, which is console gamers, Activision might not be inclined to turn up the heat. Why would they waste time venturing into unexplored territory when they can make piles of money doing what they already do well. I hate that it stifles the industry, but ultimately, money is the bottom line delimiting factor for the large game companies and I don't think these companies will go out of their way to fix what isn't broken.

No matter what any other company out there does, I had the chance to be a 10 year vet of Planetside and I cut my tour of duty down to a measly 1.5-2 years. So long as the devs deliver an experience that is remotely equal with that of the original, I am in it for the long haul. I certainly hope that PS2 breathes new life into the genre and sparks some much needed genius into the FPS world. Planetside for life!
Old 2012-06-01, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Kaw
Corporal

Isn't that unannounced "titan" MMO Blizzard has been working on for the last five years rumored to be an MMOFPS? If it is, history may repeat itself and Blizzard may steal SOE's thunder again.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kaw View Post
Isn't that unannounced "titan" MMO Blizzard has been working on for the last five years rumored to be an MMOFPS? If it is, history may repeat itself and Blizzard may steal SOE's thunder again.
One of the more popular rumors is that it's a Starcraft MMOFPS, however, the analysts don't think so and the word is that it's "casual". I am unsure if "casual" and "MMO persistence" would both describe the same game.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
acosmo
Sergeant Major

i would cry tears of joy if blizzard made world of starcraft and it was like planetside but with the asymmetrical charm of starcraft and natural selection.

HOLY SHIT I WANT TO BE A MUTALISK
Old 2012-06-01, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Blizzard hasn't made a shooter though.
Yet.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
Yet.
And I doubt they'll have any competition out for years if they chose to.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
The Kush
Captain

PS2 IS THE MMOFPS MARKET
Old 2012-06-01, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Zekeen
Major

I wanna see a COD MMO so I can laugh at their style and gaming model.

It's be an Online FPS trying to call it a MMO, with match based gameplay, but a persistent Chat Room. And it'll be pay to win model, with a pretend "free to play", but you get guns that deal no dmg, and a subscription to get bonus xp. Item mall would have ALL the guns except for 3 starter guns. Every time that unveil a new map, it'll cost 5 dollars to get it. Items like grenades would spend points, which cost money to recharge.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
One of the more popular rumors is that it's a Starcraft MMOFPS, however, the analysts don't think so and the word is that it's "casual". I am unsure if "casual" and "MMO persistence" would both describe the same game.
iirc it has been confirmed to be a new IP. I haven't heard anything about it being "casual", and I don't know that I have ever seen a casual shooter. Even so, I don't see why being labeled casual means it can't have MMO persistence. A game like Second Life is about as casual as it gets and it still has MMO persistence.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kaw View Post
iirc it has been confirmed to be a new IP. I haven't heard anything about it being "casual", and I don't know that I have ever seen a casual shooter. Even so, I don't see why being labeled casual means it can't have MMO persistence. A game like Second Life is about as casual as it gets and it still has MMO persistence.
Well, I know a lot of people at Battlefield land have, in response to me suggesting a BF MMOFPS, said it was complicated. So it's not the persistence that repels the casual description I guess, but the large scale.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Well, I know a lot of people at Battlefield land have, in response to me suggesting a BF MMOFPS, said it was complicated. So it's not the persistence that repels the casual description I guess, but the large scale.
Fair enough. It is all speculation anyway until Blizzard actually officially announces something. That probably wont happen until 2013 at least since there is no Blizzcon this year.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Synapse
First Sergeant

Relax everyone! No one is going to copy PS2, for the same reason no one copied Eve Online and everyone copied WoW.

The WoW model is about building content for your players and then leading them through it. Its fairly easy to code, well proven, everyone knows how it works and that it does fine, and it can be played casually. Its a broad market game.

Eve and PS2 are both in the realm of games where content comes from the playerbase interacting with itself. You're not building quests and hunting dungeons for them, at least you shouldnt be if you understand it. Its a harder sell to investors and frankly harder to do right.

Eve and PS2 are not a model for capturing the MMO market. Its a niche because you're playing to hardcore gamers who want to be closely interacting with your world. It's not a casual thing. That MEANS a smaller market, but also a more fanatic one.

Any marketing person can tell you this. You don't build something for your hardcore users and expect it to capture the broad market.

PS2 will sit in its niche and it will do well. It will stay there and make good money for a long time, I expect. It will never unseat casual MMOs and we shouldnt expect it to.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Someone somewhere is probably planning a WWII MMOFPS. There is WWIIonline and it was a good game for a while,but cornered rat just doesn't have the manpower or funds to make that a really great game.

I played it for a couple years and had fun with it but if someone could pull off a WWII game like PS2 is shaping up to be then that would be a huge hit.

A lot of people are still into WWII games and lets face it, The Nazi's will be the baddest bad guys for the next 100 years.

If someone could put together a WWII MMOFPS with the graphics of say Arma 2,the persistant world and battle size of PS2 and the strategic level of WWIIonline they would have a big winner IMO.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by FINALCUT View Post
Someone somewhere is probably planning a WWII MMOFPS. There is WWIIonline and it was a good game for a while,but cornered rat just doesn't have the manpower or funds to make that a really great game.

I played it for a couple years and had fun with it but if someone could pull off a WWII game like PS2 is shaping up to be then that would be a huge hit.

A lot of people are still into WWII games and lets face it, The Nazi's will be the baddest bad guys for the next 100 years.

If someone could put together a WWII MMOFPS with the graphics of say Arma 2,the persistant world and battle size of PS2 and the strategic level of WWIIonline they would have a big winner IMO.
Get me a game creation team and I'll one up that. But that's not going to happen to my ideas won't come to fruit for a while. Guess you'll have to settle with WW2 online.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion