Infiltrator Recon Device XP Coming Soon - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only place where Mosquitos kill
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-04-26, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Infiltrator Recon Device XP Coming Soon

Not sure if anyone posted this..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-04-26, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

Re: Infiltrator Recon Device XP Coming Soon

About damn time.
Old 2013-04-26, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Good on you, Alex

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-04-26, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Muldoon
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Associate Programmer

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Good on you, Alex
Aww yeah. Thanks!

Btw, tons of answered questions here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ltrators_will/
Old 2013-04-26, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
WSNeo
Master Sergeant

Will this apply to vehicles with scout radars as well? If so I'm going to be SOOOOO happy

Old 2013-04-26, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Radar needs an epic nerf, especially Scout Radar. It doesn't need to be rewarded with xp on top of everything else.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
WSNeo
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Helwyr View Post
Radar needs an epic nerf, especially Scout Radar. It doesn't need to be rewarded with xp on top of everything else.
I'm not going to lie, you're the first person to say that radar, of all things, needs a nerf. What is wrong with radar?

Edit: Looking at your posting history it looks like you spend a lot of time as an infiltrator. So I'm guessing that may be a biased opinion.

Last edited by WSNeo; 2013-04-26 at 10:35 PM.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
RSphil
Contributor
Major

thats cool. it needs it tbh.
Old 2013-04-26, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
camycamera
Major

at least makes it a bit moar useful
Old 2013-04-26, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by WSNeo View Post
I'm not going to lie, you're the first person to say that radar, of all things, needs a nerf.
The latest thread on the official forums complaining about radar. (it's not the first) here

What is wrong with radar?
1) Radar devalues player skill by providing a mechanical player crutch replacing the need for situational awareness and actual player observation.

2) Radar favors zerg play, removing many of the advantages of stealth, ambush, flanking etc that a smaller number of players might use to overcome a larger group. It devalues tactical gameplay.

3) Radar largely nullifies the the core concept of the Infiltrator class, and there's no counter aside from 12 seconds of cloaking. It also impacts the Light Assault class devaluing it's ability to flank the enemy.

4) Vehicles have a counter to radar in the form of "stealth", no such option exists for Infantry. Yet it is Infantry that should have the lowest battlefield profile, not vehicles. This is needed for balance between vehicles and Infantry.

5) Scout Radar is available to everyone via ATVs, last time I checked you don't even need to be on it for it to work. It is actually superior in just about every way to Infiltrator's class tool, the Recon Dart. Its permanent, no ammo limitations, does not give your position away (can even combine Radar and Stealth on an ATV), costs less certs to max out, can be used by every class but a Max.

6) Scout Radar on ESFs is combining the best detection with the most mobile unit in the game, that also does not lack for firepower and defense.

7) Why use Suppressed weapons when there's radar everywhere?

8) Why use Camo when there's Radar everywhere?

9) Radar makes for a dumbed down game.

Edit: Looking at your posting history it looks like you spend a lot of time as an infiltrator. So I'm guessing that may be a biased opinion.
So my opinion is biased, but yours is not? Is that what your saying? Everyone has a bias to one thing or another on this forum... you are clearly biased towards radar from your response to my post, I don't even need to look at your posting history to figure that out.
Old 2013-04-26, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
RSphil
Contributor
Major

id like to see radar jammers as an option for vehicles as well then. this would make thing interesting on the battlefield. or even mobile ones that engineers could deploy like turrets now.
Old 2013-04-27, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Timealude
Captain

I'm not going to lie, you're the first person to say that radar, of all things, needs a nerf. What is wrong with radar?

while i dont think it needs a nerf, I think the recon device needs a buff rather then a forced reward to use it, even though its welcomed. It needs something to set it apart from flashes that use scout radar.
Old 2013-04-27, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
AThreatToYou
Major

1) Radar devalues player skill by providing a mechanical player crutch replacing the need for situational awareness and actual player observation.
It also increases the value of player strategy by giving them more choices. Incentives will just make the metagame value of XP reflect the value of the strategy better. Keep in mind that everything in this game is done by players. Someone had to bring that sensor and someone has a chance to destroy it.

Now, on it decreasing the value of situational awareness, I guess so. But the players also have to be aware of the option of taking out the radar and removing the enemy's advantage. I'll take nil on that one: no increase no decrease, just different situations.

2) Radar favors zerg play, removing many of the advantages of stealth, ambush, flanking etc that a smaller number of players might use to overcome a larger group. It devalues tactical gameplay.
I'll admit it does remove many factors of stealth and ambush, but only at so far of a range. And also, knowing where your opponent is all the time doesn't suddenly devalue tactical gameplay. It just makes the player's choices more obvious and thus gives more chances to react. In some cases, it might even promote tactical decisions because players will have more information to think about.

3) Radar largely nullifies the the core concept of the Infiltrator class, and there's no counter aside from 12 seconds of cloaking. It also impacts the Light Assault class devaluing it's ability to flank the enemy.
I think you're taking the extent too far, but it does counter infiltrators a bit. On Light Assaults, too.

I remember in beta that there was a suit modification that would allow you to never show up on the minimap unless physically spotted. We really should have that if we are going to have radar.

9) Radar makes for a dumbed down game.
It adds a complexity that can remove other complexities. Adding strategies to a game doesn't simplify it. Now, should radar-equipped units be themselves more visible on radar? Yes; we can argue over the mechanics but having a radar system in-game is good because it can add another layer of depth to the meta of attacking or defending a base. It was always a part of the set-up of defense in PS1 to place motion sensors basically everywhere you could shove them.
Old 2013-04-27, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
It also increases the value of player strategy by giving them more choices. Incentives will just make the metagame value of XP reflect the value of the strategy better. Keep in mind that everything in this game is done by players. Someone had to bring that sensor and someone has a chance to destroy it.[...]

It adds a complexity that can remove other complexities. Adding strategies to a game doesn't simplify it.[...]
Having access to Scout Radar is trivial, it's cheap, readily available, and shared with everyone in your faction. There's no great player strategies going on here.

What does it add in terms of complexity in being able to see all your opponents on the minimap? This sort of implementation of radar mechanics is a pure reduction of player strategy choices. Seeing everyone on the mini map is the removal of player options and the impact of certain player skill on gameplay.

Radar is to a player's situational awareness, observation, and concealment/evasion skills as aimbots are to a player's twitch skills.

I'm all for Intel gathering tools so long as there's counters, but in the end it should be a player's ability and the way they utilize that ability that has the largest outcome on game play... not game mechanic crutches like radar and aimbots that do all the work for the player.

Last edited by Helwyr; 2013-04-27 at 01:01 AM.
Old 2013-04-27, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
AThreatToYou
Major

Having access to Scout Radar is trivial, it's cheap, readily available, and shared with everyone in your faction. There's no great player strategies going on here.
You're free to argue that, I'd say, but I would be asking more to improve the strategical choice of Scout Radar. Making it more rare and perhaps even restricted to squads or restricted to players only so close to the scout radar, having the scout radar active only when manning the vehicle, or things like that. Right now though I don't see very much scout radar. Adding this incentive will also let us decide whether or not its OP so we can start doing these things.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion