News: Heavy Assault Comm Link - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep your mitts off my freaking beans!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-03, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
SkitzoSniper
Private

Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
well there have been lights been seen with MCG's, but until its confirmed its probably just devs playing.
Ahh ok. I am still interested to see what they are going to do with MAXs

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The Rexo is a tank yes, but it is a different type of tank from MAX. But if we go back to PS1, MAX and Rexo had a similar role there too, except the MAX had a few advantages, namely vehicle armor, which forced attackers ot use AV weapons which made them vulnerable to the AI weapons of the other infantry supporting the MAX. The MAX's weapon was also better at killing than the Infantry versions.

What we do know is max are also even slower than Rexo just like PS1 with slow turning (PC gamer article mentions infantry running circles around MAX and MAX can't shoot them), and MAX rely on all the other infantry to protect their immediate surroundings, and they have vehicle-class armor. So not only are they healed differently but they take damage differently.

I'm not really worried here becuase the Rexo / MAX comparison appears to be roughly the same as it was in PS1, with the MAX having more armor and vulnerable to different weaponry types, which forces the enemy to have to deal with both.

Consider two squads - one with a MAX and one without. An enemy squad of lets say Light assault and medics would have a much easier time dealing with the squad without a MAX than the one with because they dont' have effective AV weaponry to use against the MAX. A squad will want both to maximize effectiveness. I expect the MAX will also have better weaponry for the chosen role as compensation for the lack of a shield, the slow mobility and speed. But We should be seeing that next week
Old 2012-04-03, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
SKYeXile
Major General

With no gold ammo, i think the max would have to be killable by regular ammo, having to have a heavy with AV around would seem wrong.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-03, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
SkitzoSniper
Private

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
With no gold ammo, i think the max would have to be killable by regular ammo, having to have a heavy with AV around would seem wrong.
Or they could just introduce the AP ammo in the beta if killing with regular ammo proves far too easy

This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

AV options as we know it:

All Classes (except max maybe?)
1) Grenades (everyone gets them, but they have resource cost)
2) C4 (replacement for grenades, don't know if it costs resources)

Engineers:
3) AV turret they can build, supposedly very powerful. I presume it can be built indoors and used as anti-max weaponry.
4) Grenade-launcher like attachement for armor piercing rounds
5) Anti-Tank mines (don't know if these will affect MAX)

Heavy Assault
6) Rocket Launcher

MAX
7) Empire-specific AV weapon (can be equipped on both arms)

It looks as though all classes have some capacity to do AV damage with CV / Grenades, but looks like Engies, MAX, and HA are the primary sources of infantry-based AV.

Gotta diversify your squads.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-04-03 at 07:01 PM.
Old 2012-04-03, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
SkitzoSniper
Private

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
AV options as we know it:

All Classes (except max maybe?)
1) Grenades (everyone gets them, but they have resource cost)
2) C4 (replacement for grenades, don't know if it costs resources)

Engineers:
3) AV turret they can build, supposedly very powerful. I presume it can be built indoors and used as anti-max weaponry.
4) Grenade-launcher like attachement for armor piercing rounds
5) Anti-Tank mines (don't know if these will affect MAX)

Heavy Assault
6) Rocket Launcher

MAX
7) Empire-specific AV weapon (can be equipped on both arms)

It looks as though all classes have some capacity to do AV damage with CV / Grenades, but looks like Engies, MAX, and HA are the primary sources of infantry-based AV.

Gotta diversify your squads.
That's a whole lotta anti-max weaponry

Old 2012-04-03, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I want this person to wield a sniper rifle instead of a cloaker with one. Seriously.
I'll take a sniper with camouflage over a sniper with heavy armor that can become temporarily invulnerable. Besides, that would make REXO's good at close, medium, and long distance.

For close-quarters combat that requires sustained fire, their versatile LMGs can be swapped for the raw destructive power of their empire’s hip-slung Heavy Assault weapon. Finally, their rocket launcher can destroy enemy vehicles with a variety of targeting types, continuing to be the preferred method of directly dealing with enemy armor while on foot.
That quote makes it wound like they carry both the primary weapon and an AV weapon; is the AV exclusive to the REXO, or can I switch my rifle for an AV weapon with more limited ammo? The idea being that if a REXO cost resourses and we have a need to defend against vehicles, will we be forced to spend resources to fight back?
Old 2012-04-03, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Captain B
First Sergeant

Looks pretty sweet.
Old 2012-04-03, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
SKYeXile
Major General

The classes need videos, these write ups and pictures arnt doing it for me.

GET THE HYPE TRAIN ROLLING.

like:

o.O

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-04-03, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Kail
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The Rexo is a tank yes, but it is a different type of tank from MAX. But if we go back to PS1, MAX and Rexo had a similar role there too, except the MAX had a few advantages, namely vehicle armor, which forced attackers ot use AV weapons which made them vulnerable to the AI weapons of the other infantry supporting the MAX. The MAX's weapon was also better at killing than the Infantry versions.

What we do know is max are also even slower than Rexo just like PS1 with slow turning (PC gamer article mentions infantry running circles around MAX and MAX can't shoot them), and MAX rely on all the other infantry to protect their immediate surroundings, and they have vehicle-class armor. So not only are they healed differently but they take damage differently.

I'm not really worried here becuase the Rexo / MAX comparison appears to be roughly the same as it was in PS1, with the MAX having more armor and vulnerable to different weaponry types, which forces the enemy to have to deal with both.

Consider two squads - one with a MAX and one without. An enemy squad of lets say Light assault and medics would have a much easier time dealing with the squad without a MAX than the one with because they dont' have effective AV weaponry to use against the MAX. A squad will want both to maximize effectiveness. I expect the MAX will also have better weaponry for the chosen role as compensation for the lack of a shield, the slow mobility and speed. But We should be seeing that next week
I think its also important to point out that a MAX will have two active weapons as opposed to infantry needing to switch between theirs. While it remains to be seen if a MAX can actually fire both simultaneously / near-simultaneously, on paper at the very least the difference between it and HA is just another level of tradeoff between firepower and armor vs mobility and speed.

Edit: And how awesome would it be to plug in two mice so you can aim & fire each arm independently. Ignoring the fact how one moves at the same time becomes a difficult question.

Last edited by Kail; 2012-04-03 at 07:31 PM.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Doctor Digit View Post
This is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Okay, not really, but it's pretty cool!
Old 2012-04-03, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by noxious View Post
This is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Okay, not really, but it's pretty cool!
I thought it looked more buff in the other shots, and therefor cooler.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-04-03, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Conq
Staff Sergeant

Black vagina shaped breathing apparatus. Check.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
noxious
Second Lieutenant

After reading the description and the replies in this thread, here are my brief thoughts;

Giving the class both AV and AI abilities is necessary, I think.

The lighter classes all have specific roles; intelligence gathering, long range damage projection, high mobility, heals, deployables, etc.

Then there's the heavier class, the MAX, that does just one thing (AA, AV, or AI, assuming they're like PS1 MAXes) but it performs that single role better than any other infantry unit.

Finally, you have the heavy assault. Like the MAX, it is designed expressly for death and destruction, but it trades exceptional performance in one area for flexibility; the heavy assault is a jack of all [damage dealing] trades, master of none. What the class gains in flexibility for dealing with immediate threats it loses in ability to maximize damage output to specific target types and further, cannot perform at all any of the variety of support roles that the lighter classes perform.

Last edited by noxious; 2012-04-03 at 09:34 PM.
Old 2012-04-03, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
kaffis
Contributor
Major

So, I'm confused. Is the Jackhammer hip-slung, now, or do NC get a Light Machine Shotgun?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion