Thrustpads [Jump Pads] - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better Red Than Dead!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-17, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Thrustpads [Jump Pads]

Alright alright we all know this is going to come up so lets try to keep it isolated in one thread.

Jump Pads.....Discuss

Personally I am turned off at easy infantry movement similiar to Tribes in some aspects for a game like this. However it may be reduced to bases only and we still need to get a feel for it. Opinion:Skeptical but I'll give it a shot since they have been making good design decisions so far.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Re: Jump Pads

I think it will work as they are going for a faster-paced combat feel, but that's what beta is for.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
EVILoHOMER
Major

Have you played the game? No. Lets wait and see when beta starts to how they impact gameplay. I've never played a game with jump pads and thought they ruin it, more like they're hella fun...

When are people going to wait to play the game before complaining about the gameplay?
Old 2012-05-17, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Stardouser
Colonel

I think it's a problem as it makes the game TOO fast paced, and too much like Tribes as you say. Planetside is a game with hundreds of players in a battle, large maps(ie, distance) is supposed to provide some separation, otherwise what do we need 8km X 8km maps for? It also means that it doesn't matter where defenders deploy.

Yes, they are making good design decisions in general, but this might make the game too fast.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-17 at 11:41 AM.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

It allows better designs for the bases and allows players to defend a side easier if it gets attacked.

I like.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MyMeatStick
Sergeant

Very nice design feature if you ask me.

I guarantee some people wont like it though.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

I don't see an issue right now.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Have you played the game? No. Lets wait and see when beta starts to how they impact gameplay. I've never played a game with jump pads and thought they ruin it, more like they're hella fun...

When are people going to wait to play the game before complaining about the gameplay?
It's a valid question. You don't have to have played the game to question their impact, the video shows much. The speed at which infantry can move around the base certainly affects things. Then you have the ability to basically fly between pads using weaponry? How about when dropping bombs are introduced?

Of course Beta will answer many questions, but the jump pads really stood out.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-05-17, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
LightningDriver
Corporal

They look like zip lines in the caves, just without the actual lines. Engineers like me will place mines on the landing pad. I can also see this as being a sniper's paradise.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I think it's a problem as it makes the game TOO fast paced, and too much like Tribes as you say. Planetside is a game with hundreds of players in a battle, large maps(ie, distance) is supposed to provide some separation, otherwise what do we need 8km X 8km maps? It also means that it doesn't matter where defenders deploy.

Yes, they are making good design decisions in general, but this might make the game too fast.

You are making it sound like everyone will have their own personal cannon.

It is not like they are going to make super jump pads at each base that will allow ground vehicles to fly to another base.

They are only found around bases to allow the owning factions players to easily move around it. There was nothing worst than having to walk around the entire base to find the entrance.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

For me it just look like it doesn't fits.Like the BF3 killcam.Just doesn't fit for me.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Graywolves
General

I think the purpose is clear and it feels off to us veterans but I think I could get used to it given time.

Here are my thoughts on it.

Pros:
Jump pads provide quick access to areas of a massive base in a large scale, increasing the pacing of the battle and getting people to the fight quicker.

Multiple people can jump and attempt to meneuver themselves in a way to avoid collision or knocking each other around.

Fighting chance if enemies are waiting for them on the other end.

cons:
In its current form you fly out in the open between points. Making you vulnerable enroute and showing off your new position.

It also takes up some space in its current form.

I would rather use one of the followings.

-Same jumppad concept but pushed towards the edge of the wall and send players horizontally to the next point. Problem with this is crowding and people knocking each other off as well as easy to camp. But you get more space on the actual roof tops and less people accidentally sending their avatars somewhere distant than where they want to be and possibly killed.

or

-Link the structures underneath in a hallway. Simply let people run through or zipline/cannon across. This way they are not vulnerable or cluttering the sky and there's now a tiny bit more indoor combat.

edit: Not cluttering/taking up space is another thing for the jump pads.

Personally I currently feel like jump pads are a little too....arcadey? It just feels weird going from spawning and using transport and fighting to propelling yourself using a jumppad. Maybe if they just made it look different.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

How does it feel off to veterans? Did you never go in the caves?
Old 2012-05-17, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
How does it feel off to veterans? Did you never go in the caves?
Where in the caves did you propel yourself in an arc and free fall?
Old 2012-05-17, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Senyu
First Lieutenant

What about a light transport thing? Like there is a person size walkthrough door way at same spot of jump pads. When you walk through it, there is a few second delay as your body is pulled like going into warp speed or being sucked into a black hole, and you flash to the other end. Visually enemies would see it as one of these two ways depending on which is more popular. A quick flash of light the size of a person zip from one point to the other showing the direction it went. Or simply just the doorway flashes and the recieving end flashes afterward showing usage.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion