News: Totalbiscuit and Matt Higby Live Stream Discussion! - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My Mommy Says Your All Just Jealous!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #241
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Totalbiscuit and Matt Higby Live Stream Discussion!

My only complaint is the silly camo. I think I'd rather see a hello-kitty logo on someone's head than be foot-to-toe in leopard-print. Silly logos/stickers are things people put on tanks/guns etc. Zebra camouflage? Not so much.

Other problems might arise, but the fact that that's my only problem with the game so far is pretty damn impressive.
Old 2012-06-01, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #242
Arkanakaz
Private

The game is looking great, but wont MAXes having the option of choosing anti-air/anti-vehicle/anti-infantory for each arm result in the same poor balance as with the BFRs choosing a weapon for each arm in PlanetSide 1? In PlanetSide 1 it was only ever worth going exclusively for one role for various reasons - wont the balance for MAXes in PlanetSide 2 by exactly the same, therefore making choosing each arm a waste of time?

It could be made useful if only one arm could fire at one time although that would require a rethinking of a lot of balance issues I guess.
Old 2012-06-01, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #243
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Arkanakaz View Post
The game is looking great, but wont MAXes having the option of choosing anti-air/anti-vehicle/anti-infantory for each arm result in the same poor balance as with the BFRs choosing a weapon for each arm in PlanetSide 1? In PlanetSide 1 it was only ever worth going exclusively for one role for various reasons - wont the balance for MAXes in PlanetSide 2 by exactly the same, therefore making choosing each arm a waste of time?

It could be made useful if only one arm could fire at one time although that would require a rethinking of a lot of balance issues I guess.
In PS1 you couldn't have a different weapon on each arm and the VS max only had one weapon so IDK what your talking about really.

Also I don't see what the issue is, it's an obvious trade off. versatility is useful just as much as having two Cannons is useful, but for different reasons. I like the added variety and I don't think it will be hard to balance. MAXs need to have that added function to make them distinct from other infantry in their role.
Old 2012-06-01, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #244
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I like to think of it as just being a good thing to have the option. A lot of people will probably take 2 of the same type of gun, but if there ends up being value in mixing and matching, you have that option too.

Nice to have as many customizations options as possible, considering that the removal of freeform inventories cuts some of our options for creativity. I'm hoping load out and other customization options will give us the chance to at least approach that freeform inventory level of options, in addition to expanding beyond it as we already know we will be able to do in some ways.
Old 2012-06-01, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #245
bjorntju1
Captain

So I watched the video and I really liked what I saw. The only thing I am dissapointed by are the very bland interiors. I don't really mind that they are more open than in PS1, but it is just a couple staircases and some walls... I hope they are going to add more props to it so it looks less bland. Things like crates etc.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #246
Arkanakaz
Private

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
In PS1 you couldn't have a different weapon on each arm and the VS max only had one weapon so IDK what your talking about really.

Also I don't see what the issue is, it's an obvious trade off. versatility is useful just as much as having two Cannons is useful, but for different reasons. I like the added variety and I don't think it will be hard to balance. MAXs need to have that added function to make them distinct from other infantry in their role.
I was taking about the BFRs not the MAXes in PlanetSide 1. The thing with using different weapons on the BFR is that they have different projectile speeds meaning you can't lead the shots correctly for both guns at the same time and in practice its far superior to have double the time to kill at the expense of versatility. Regardless of the arguments in practice every BFR I can remember had duel load outs (excluding armor scorpion and the NTU gun which PlanetSide 2 MAXs wont have).

Its true that it does add some options but with free 2 play I can imagine this being a trap for newbies - I think it could be rebalanced in some way to make taking two different guns worthwhile. As it stands I can't see how this is going to turn out any differently from the pointless option of having a choice to mix guns on BFRs in PlanetSide 1.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #247
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
So I watched the video and I really liked what I saw. The only thing I am dissapointed by are the very bland interiors. I don't really mind that they are more open than in PS1, but it is just a couple staircases and some walls... I hope they are going to add more props to it so it looks less bland. Things like crates etc.
Didn't they mention that the interiors were unfinished?

I expect they want to get more people playing before they start filling up interiors. There's no point designing a room when they have a limited number of testers and then finding out it's too cramped.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #248
Purple
Sergeant Major

is this on youtube yet?
Old 2012-06-01, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #249
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
is this on youtube yet?
yes

http://youtu.be/onvySU5NkFo
Old 2012-06-01, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #250
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I was taking about the BFRs not the MAXes in PlanetSide 1. The thing with using different weapons on the BFR is that they have different projectile speeds meaning you can't lead the shots correctly for both guns at the same time and in practice its far superior to have double the time to kill at the expense of versatility. Regardless of the arguments in practice every BFR I can remember had duel load outs (excluding armor scorpion and the NTU gun which PlanetSide 2 MAXs wont have).

Its true that it does add some options but with free 2 play I can imagine this being a trap for newbies - I think it could be rebalanced in some way to make taking two different guns worthwhile. As it stands I can't see how this is going to turn out any differently from the pointless option of having a choice to mix guns on BFRs in PlanetSide 1.
Ah I see I overlooked that you said BFRs, sorry.

I think the quicker TTK will make having two different weapons more effective because even with 1 AI weapon you can still kill quite fast. In PS1 you could really feel the increased damage, but if people die quicker you get to a point where more could be simply overkill.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #251
Arkanakaz
Private

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Ah I see I overlooked that you said BFRs, sorry.

I think the quicker TTK will make having two different weapons more effective because even with 1 AI weapon you can still kill quite fast. In PS1 you could really feel the increased damage, but if people die quicker you get to a point where more could be simply overkill.
Good point. Gives some light that it could work out.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #252
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

I have watched movies shorter than that cast.
I regret nothing.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #253
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

Took me awhile to catch all of it, but I liked it a lot. I remember I heard about this only last summer, but it's a nice surprise to see it's already so far along and looking so good.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #254
outsider
Private

that was really good.

It was good to see the game crash as much as it did. The whole "when is the beta?" issue has been bugging me of late. it was good to see not only the great stuff going for it, but also to be reminded at how much further this game has to go before it is ready. I get the feeling that when we get to play with the beta, it will be a true beta, bugs and all, not some modern beta that is just a glorified marketing process. Still looking forward to the beta, but not so worried as to when it comes out now.

I'm hoping that the graphic settings were set a bit low for the stream. It is a beautiful game but I found the draw distance for foliage to being a bit too close. Same concerns with the game elements just popping in when in the aircraft looking around. Still very pretty, I'm just hoping that I can set those draw elements to much further away ( even if I have to pour more money into the box ).

I think the targeting reticules are a bit dominating on the screen, hoping there are alpha settings for those.

The scythe seems a bit quiet, I'd really like the VS aircraft to make noises similar to the alien spacecrafts in Stargate Atlantis or Babylon 5. The thing really needs to scream in a very unnatural way.

I'm really not worried about the raised concerns for spec ops teams to sit in a gal for 15 minutes flying over nothing but water to go blow some gen somewhere. It was fun the first 20 times but I think that kind of strat is a bit dated now. With the ability to set missions points, I don't see why the spec ops gal team can't make an air cav mission to punch a hole through the enemies defenses so they can slip through. It's a much more interactive way to get the same job done, decreases downtime and creates a more interesting environment for everyone than a bunch of outfits doing their own thing in private.

The main issue I have of miles of empty ocean is it becomes such an easy exploit for afker's to sit in the middle of nowhere and stock up on resource, gained from the actions of the active members, while at the same time pop locking the continent. I want the big fights and an enthusiastic community of everyone, to the best of their ability, actively trying to win. And if that impinges on others people rights to play the game they want to, well then thats why I play TR! :P

I noticed when the magrider TK'd there was no red screen or audio warnings that it was a TK. Hope that will still gets in.

Last edited by outsider; 2012-06-01 at 09:18 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #255
Saerain
Private

The factionist banter was highly amusing. Both TB and Higby were really good at slipping in jabs, catching and retaliating very playfully. Though Matt almost let one slip by him at 0:49:00.

I appreciate Matt's point that the zebra and giraffe prints are a small part of otherwise less disruptive camo, as I think a little bit of silliness goes a long way, I just kind of worry about them being used... let's say disproportionately.
Double exponential of the velocity of computing measured in CPS/unit cost, a.k.a. the law of accelerating returns wherein Moore's law's curve itself rides on a second curve, i.e. the rate of exponential growth grows exponentially.

Last edited by Saerain; 2012-06-02 at 05:15 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion