Indoor Combat? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your content are belong to us!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Levente
First Sergeant

Re: Indoor Combat?

People whine when theres is close quarters and meatgrinding corridors.
People whine when there are Huge continent maps + more infantry combat focused gameplay.
Then people whine when theres not enough close quarter meatgrinding corridorfights.

I dont want to live on this planet anymore...
Old 2012-06-01, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
People whine when there are Huge continent maps + more infantry combat focused gameplay.
Then people whine when theres not enough close quarter meatgrinding corridorfights.

But soon, soon, you will get to shoot them all! And that will make up for a lot of the whining, won't it?
Old 2012-06-01, 04:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Levente View Post

Different people like different things, who knew?
Old 2012-06-01, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Also consider that there isn't another option, planetside literally is the only one of its kind so we must love and support it but we also want it to be the best it can be!
Old 2012-06-01, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
T MAN
Private

Aparrently there are no doors in the future, which is crazy because the tech plant is wide open to just fly in and spam away. The tower from the looks can be subdued from the likes of the liberator and the now confirmed galaxy gunship, cause the sides are wide open to just shoot in.

In planetside 1 the doors protected you from fire power and guarded you once they shut and the cc, respawn room, gen room were all guarded by doors that would lock and would have to be hacked to get in.

In PS2 even the cc's are now all wide open plain as day, I dont know about you but i would think the future buildings would have some sorta door mechanic or something to guard them. Not just wide open, like "oh hey come on in, hack our stuff take what you need".

If you guys remember the titan in BF2142 it had 4 cc's that you had to destroy to get to open the door that then lead to the gen room.

Maybe well get something like the titan with what we've seen in that concept art with that big ship in the sky, Now that would be awesome.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
Aparrently there are no doors in the future, which is crazy because the tech plant is wide open to just fly in and spam away. The tower from the looks can be subdued from the likes of the liberator and the now confirmed galaxy gunship, cause the sides are wide open to just shoot in.

In planetside 1 the doors protected you from fire power and guarded you once they shut and the cc, respawn room, gen room were all guarded by doors that would lock and would have to be hacked to get in.

In PS2 even the cc's are now all wide open plain as day, I dont know about you but i would think the future buildings would have some sorta door mechanic or something to guard them. Not just wide open, like "oh hey come on in, hack our stuff take what you need".

If you guys remember the titan in BF2142 it had 4 cc's that you had to destroy to get to open the door that then lead to the gen room.

Maybe well get something like the titan with what we've seen in that concept art with that big ship in the sky, Now that would be awesome.
Would you have a door if you couldn't die? Doors are so hard, you need to open AND close them all the time. Much easier to just let the intruder inside to do his bidding so you can respawn faster, better to just let him kill you rather than fight it.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Dreamcast
Major

Weren't people saying last time when Planetside 2 first 45 minute video was released that it was too close combat?.....Some even said it was CoD like.

That map seemed pretty closed combat to me so it seems close quarters is in
Old 2012-06-01, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I suspect that aircraft will have a harder time farming in those close quarters areas than some people are suggesting. Still possible for them to have an impact, but I'm doubting they will destroy the CQC.

The main reason I think they are going for a more open urban combat style is to make sure that classes like Infiltrators and Light Assault have alternative routes to take, so that everything isn't bottlenecked into tight corridors where only Rexo(HA) and MAXes could survive long enough to contribute much to the fight.

I think it will play out pretty good. If nothing else, they can actually modify bases this time around, so if they need to add some more roofs and cover against vehicles, it will be possible.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Hamma
PSU Admin

Per what Higby said when I played there was definitely a huge focus on building to building combat rather than indoor fighting. Most bases will be building to building firefights in order to capture them.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-01, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I wouldn't be surprised if a smattering of cover being placed throughout the Tech-Plant allowed for more of the CQC that we are used to, for example when taking an original Tech Plant.

Just with players having to move from cover to cover, rather than just corridor to corridor.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-01, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Hamma
PSU Admin

Aye for sure.

It's going to make for some interesting tactics - can't wait to get in there with a bunch of folks.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-01, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I may be biased, but personally I think it's going to make certain base fights a lot more fun to occasionally have to worry about aircav spamming you as you run from one building section to the next.

Although it wont be so fun if it ends up happening all the time. I just don't see that happening with all the available cover we've seen though. Not like PS1 bases where being outdoors in a base fight often equaled getting farmed.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I sure hope the beta population isn't as heavily biased towards aircav as the veterans around here are.

I mean, I get WHY the veterans are biased towards aircavs -- reavers and mossies grew to be way powerful as the average cert-count went up and everybody could afford it.

But I'd rather see Planetside 2 reach a more balanced distribution of play than late-game PS1.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
I sure hope the beta population isn't as heavily biased towards aircav as the veterans around here are.

I mean, I get WHY the veterans are biased towards aircavs -- reavers and mossies grew to be way powerful as the average cert-count went up and everybody could afford it.

But I'd rather see Planetside 2 reach a more balanced distribution of play than late-game PS1.
I agree, but I'm not a long term vet either. Mostly played during BR20/25 days. I've always loved aircav.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post

A lot of the hate from veterans towards Air Cav is a result of the stigma that they're kill whore vehicles that are essentially anti-everything with no real drawbacks. I did a whole lot of Reaver/Mossi farming and I can definitely say they were overpowered to a degree. But that's more of a flaw in game design to some extent, other factors like that games coding and connections also come into play.

They said they wanted to drift away from the "flying camera" flight mechanics that were prevalent in PS1, and they were instead shifting towards more realistic flight mechanics. From what I've seen, the flying camera gameplay still persists, especially with the Scythe, but I think the Scythe's mechanics are sort of based around that.

Maybe we can assume that flight mechanics aren't yet finished. Either way, I'll certainly be doing a lot of Scythe whoring.... Sywhoring?

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion