If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Yes... it's that important!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-02, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Yes, yes it could... if only there was some MMOFPS still in development that could change its heading.
Heh, sure is subtlty.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Yes, yes it could... if only there was some MMOFPS still in development that could change its heading.
I lol'd
Old 2012-06-02, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Spoof
Corporal

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
We're not tourists or newcomers on MMOFPS mountain, this is our hill and we have been and will remain the kings of this hill.
That hill has been held solo for the past nine years. Someone ought to tell those other 'mmofps' usurpers that 64 players doth not an mmo make.

Here's to nine more.
Old 2012-06-02, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
That hill has been held solo for the past nine years. Someone ought to tell those other 'mmofps' usurpers that 64 players doth not an mmo make.

Here's to nine more.
Amen. 9 years of watching maybe a hundred games list themselves as "mmofps" more than games list themselves as sandbox, and none of them being true. 8v8 and "massive chat rooms" are not massive multiplayer.

I hope you don't get bored of Planetside for the next 10 years Higby, we're holding this one to ya to keep it going strong the whole decade!
Old 2012-06-02, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
IHateMMOs
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Heh, if you ask Derek Smart he'll gladly tell you that his MMO "Line of Defense" has already beaten Planetside 2. But I highly doubt that. Planetside 2 looks like it's going to be the best in its genre, unfortunately, there aren't many others to compete with. Wait no, that's a good thing.
Old 2012-06-02, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by IHateMMOs View Post
Heh, if you ask Derek Smart he'll gladly tell you that his MMO "Line of Defense" has already beaten Planetside 2. But I highly doubt that. Planetside 2 looks like it's going to be the best in its genre, unfortunately, there aren't many others to compete with. Wait no, that's a good thing.
Hmm.. Line of Defence seems like Planetside 2, but with smaller maps but more open, with space. And over 23,000 people per server, thats alot, but how many will Planetside 2 have? I can't remember the exact number.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Hmm.. Line of Defence seems like Planetside 2, but with smaller maps but more open, with space. And over 23,000 people per server, thats alot, but how many will Planetside 2 have? I can't remember the exact number.
WOT apparently has he world record for the most people on 1 server, max 30 people per instance. I dont really see how the amount of people on a server is relevent. im sure soe could had 60 more maps on the one server and be all like "LOOK AT US GUYZZZ" but its meaningless unless they're on the same cont.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-02, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Toppopia
Major

WOT apparently has he world record for the most people on 1 server, max 30 people per instance. I dont really see how the amount of people on a server is relevent. im sure soe could had 60 more maps on the one server and be all like "LOOK AT US GUYZZZ" but its meaningless unless they're on the same cont.
Its like saying. "Look at me! I have 5 million dollars. But my aunt has it."

Unless those server people can actually work up to each other and see each other and interact with each other, then that doesn't count as people being on the same server physically. Or something along those lines. I probably worded it wrong.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Stardouser
Colonel

Speaking as a gamer, I can think of a lot of really amazing potential MMOFPSs that i'd love to play.

I'd love to see an MMOFPS with twitch FPS gameplay similar to Unreal Tournament - I love that gameplay style and think it could be made into a very cool MMOFPS.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't announce Halo online soon, seems like a no brainer for the 720 (if they call it that).

I'm looking forward to playing Firefall and I think Defiance will be pretty cool with the TV show tie in too.

Now, would any of these steal Planetside 2's thunder? No way. We're not tourists or newcomers on MMOFPS mountain, this is our hill and we have been and will remain the kings of this hill.
I had suggested in another thread that you guys convince SOE to let you hire a full additional team and also make a modern themed MMOFPS with the appropriate changes(large contiguous landmasses instead of islands, Blackhawks instead of Galaxies), which I thought would be a lot less work since half the work is just changing to modern theme appearances, and got shouted down as a fool. I'm sure that will happen now too, but I firmly believe there's room in the marketplace for both Planetside 2 and a modern theme shooter. If there is NOT, then, when someone does come out with a modern theme shooter, then either it or PS2 will die. And if there is, SOE being the first to bring a modern theme MMOFPS to market alongside PS2 could allow absolute domination of the market.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I had suggested in another thread that you guys convince SOE to let you hire a full additional team and also make a modern themed MMOFPS with the appropriate changes(large contiguous landmasses instead of islands, Blackhawks instead of Galaxies), which I thought would be a lot less work since half the work is just changing to modern theme appearances, and got shouted down as a fool. I'm sure that will happen now too, but I firmly believe there's room in the marketplace for both Planetside 2 and a modern theme shooter. If there is NOT, then, when someone does come out with a modern theme shooter, then either it or PS2 will die. And if there is, SOE being the first to bring a modern theme MMOFPS to market alongside PS2 could allow absolute domination of the market.
1. Modern MMOFPS is a slippery slope. Why? Because with a futuristic/alt setting you can create sides of conflict with no RL analog, however in a modern day MMOFPS you'll have to choose who's fighting who. Example: USA vs Russia. Who's gonna choose Russia on an American server? Or America vs Terrorism? Or Asia vs NATO? Plus all the stuff you have to go through to give more or less accurate display of the fighting sides. And moreover - what if a war actually breaks out between the said nations while the game is still alive? Black PR, to say the least.
2. There's no point for a company to create competition to itself. That's basically splitting the income.
3. TBH I'd rather see some pre-immortality SP planetside for it only takes script and a little redesign of the PS2 engine.

But that's a subject for another topic.
My thoughts on the actual matter is that Halo will never compete with planetside for it will never make it to PCs. CoD is born to be a match-based game so no danger from here either. BF - EA+MMO is a bad combination. The thing will only work if dice decides to separate from EA and dispose of all the acquired greed.

Blizzard is a different story, but blizzard has very low experience when it comes to 100% openworld designs. Though there is a high possibility that they will release an MMOFPS but it will still be a MOFPS, like GA and such.

I only see few PS competitors - D514 (it can really draw some audience that has both PC and PS3, despite it being a MOFPS) and if EA decides to make a CnC MMOFPS project, but yet again, EA did nothing good online since UO.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-02 at 07:04 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
IIChaosOfWarIII
Private

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I can only imagine all the bunny hopping master chiefs in the thousands throwing grenades in all directions.
Bunny hopping never worked in reach, and 4 looks to be taking a lot from reach so I would assume the "bunny hopping" would not be a valid tactic with thousands of *spartans considering you can't jump that high anymore, and it would be just as vehicle based as planetside so the scorpion or wraith would easily stop any "bunny hoppers".
Old 2012-06-02, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
1. Modern MMOFPS is a slippery slope. Why? Because with a futuristic/alt setting you can create sides of conflict with no RL analog, however in a modern day MMOFPS you'll have to choose who's fighting who. Example: USA vs Russia. Who's gonna choose Russia on an American server? Or America vs Terrorism? Or Asia vs NATO? Plus all the stuff you have to go through to give more or less accurate display of the fighting sides. And moreover - what if a war actually breaks out between the said nations while the game is still alive? Black PR, to say the least.
2. There's no point for a company to create competition to itself. That's basically splitting the income.
3. TBH I'd rather see some pre-immortality SP planetside for it only takes script and a little redesign of the PS2 engine.
1. Who says modern theme has to also mean realistically themed combatants? That's only necessary in reality sims anyway. Just do something like Nod vs GDI from Command and Conquer. GI Joe vs Cobra, who cares.
2 You might disagree with me, but as I said, there is room in the marketplace for both, and there are plenty of future theme haters. Some overlap will occur, I am aware. Although the free 2 play model allows people to play both I think...
Old 2012-06-02, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Fanglord
Sergeant

Speaking as a gamer, I can think of a lot of really amazing potential MMOFPSs that i'd love to play.

I'd love to see an MMOFPS with twitch FPS gameplay similar to Unreal Tournament - I love that gameplay style and think it could be made into a very cool MMOFPS.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't announce Halo online soon, seems like a no brainer for the 720 (if they call it that).

I'm looking forward to playing Firefall and I think Defiance will be pretty cool with the TV show tie in too.
Couldn't agree more, I think the majority of MMOFPS that will eventually materialise will be primarily PVE based with a splash of PVP. I think PS2 will sit nicely as the king of 100% PVP MMOFPS.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by cryosin View Post

COD has been making the same game for 20 years, they don't know how to make an MMOFPS. Wish em luck.
*Does some counting on fingers* Wait, what?
Old 2012-06-02, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Nice Higby. You guys have been doing this for 10 years now.

Do you think also that these franchises have dug themselves into their own technical holes with destructive environments as precedent? I would imagine that its not quite possible at this time to do large scale maps with thousands of players and have destructible environments. Or at least it will be a challenge for them as EA and blizzard have no MMOFPS experience.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion