Lasher, Jackhammer and MCG. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma lives in the PSU server.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-06-30, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Xaine
Major

Lasher, Jackhammer and MCG.

This is the first time i've played PS1 in a while. I've seen the Lasher go through many changes, but currently i've come to the opinion that..

Its fucking awful.

You see TR running around with stolen JHs, and NC with MCGs.. and you see the VS with either... but i can't remember the last time i saw either the TR or NC with a Lasher.

I'd rather use the sweeper, and i do. The range is very short, yeah - but its TTK is actually good and it kills people? I do FAR better wth the sweeper than with the Lasher. Every time i come up against a JH or a MCG with a Lasher i get destroyed.

Am i just a baddie, or what?
Old 2012-07-01, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Re: Lasher, Jackhammer and MCG.

I remember back in 2003 or 2004 when they released that patch that made the Lasher insanely overpowered.

You didn't even need direct line of sight to kill with it because the lashes hurt so bad.

I also remember having whole bunch of those babies stashed away. Threw them away when it got nerfed.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2012-07-01, 01:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post

You see TR running around with stolen JHs, and NC with MCGs.. and you see the VS with either... but i can't remember the last time i saw either the TR or NC with a Lasher.
We have ammo for those
Old 2012-07-01, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Snorf
Private

Lasher 2.0 was overpowered, yet it was still the closest to being the vs balanced ha. They just were never able to figure out how to get it right.
Old 2012-07-01, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xenostalker
Corporal

I've always wanted to post my own raging thread about how utterly useless and pathetic the Lasher is...

Thank you, kind sir. Now I can simply reply with "I agree."

But... PS2 is coming out so...
Old 2012-07-01, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I like to pick up a Lasher now and then, especially for a base fight, but not having access to ammo for it makes it pretty hard. And I can't keep them in my locker without using up a bunch of space for pilfered ammo boxes too.
Old 2012-07-01, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
This is the first time i've played PS1 in a while. I've seen the Lasher go through many changes, but currently i've come to the opinion that..

Its fucking awful.

I'd rather use the sweeper, and i do. The range is very short, yeah - but its TTK is actually good and it kills people? I do FAR better wth the sweeper than with the Lasher. Every time i come up against a JH or a MCG with a Lasher i get destroyed.

Am i just a baddie, or what?
And funnily enough as TR I'd rather fight against the NC+JH than VS+Lasher. I think it is due to the effective range where if I keep the range long against JH I have an advantage.

Perhaps your experience is because the Lasher is an in-between weapon and by that I mean you need longer range against the JH and shorter range against the MCG so you need to fight in 2 different styles.

I'd advise not trying to use the VS MA though .... it's much easier for me to fight against than the Lasher.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
cryosin
Master Sergeant

The problem with the Lasher is that it is simply a worse MCG.

It has a longer TTK, more recoil, slower rate of fire and you basically cant strafe and shoot the thing unless you're point blank.

The sad part is, its still our best indoor weapon outside of the sweeper(which is just worse than a Jackhammer).

I end up using it because I at least have a chance against other HA's, but it is un-deniably worse.

The Lasher was originally balanced around its "lash". It wouldn't always win 1v1, but its lashing made it very good in large numbers, which is what planetside is all about.

Unfortunately, the lash has been reduced to nothing. It literally does about 5% armor damage, regardless of which firing mode you use. That's right, 5%(maybe less?) of their ARMOR.... meaning you gotta chew through armor before it even matters. Essentially, the lash doesn't exist. Not to mention, the orb has to travel at least 10 feet before the lash effects anything.

I think if the lasher took 1 less hit to kill a rexo it would be balanced right now, but at this point it doesn't matter. They could never figure out how to balance the lash over the main target, and that's why it was always OP or UP.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
DarkSkyes
Corporal

lol the lasher is bad if you have bad aim. I actually have a better KD when I play VS than I do when play TR. If you don't miss the lasher has a much better TTK than the MCG and it matches up well with the JH at close range. If you do miss a shot though, you are dead.

If you learn how to use it the lasher is actually a very good weapon.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xaine
Major

Given that I've played several FPS games competitively, I seriously doubt my aim is the issue here.

After about 4 shots the orbs start flying everywhere in a 45 degree cone in front of you. You can burst it, but then the TTK gets even worse.

The Jackhammer actually has a semi decent range for a shotgun. You can't kill the NC before he can run at you with the JH and destroy you.

The MCG has better range, less recoil and even at point blank the TTK seems pretty similar.

But yeah, PS2 soon I guess. Just you'd think in 9 years they would have managed to balance it.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ringring
Contributor
General

Don't think of the lasher as a bad mcg .... it is itself, distinct and different.

The lash itself may only do 1 hit point of damage or whatever it is, but that means that if you miss the lash will cause the mcg cof to bloom and your TR opponent will start missing shots ... the lash isn't what it was but it still has a benefit.

I repeat against TR get in close and put your better TTK to use.
Old 2012-07-01, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

The older lashers were, of course better than what it is now. That being said, it's still not as useless as a lot of people make it out to be. You can still be effective at killing with it if you know what you're doing.
Old 2012-07-01, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The concept of the Lasher is all wrong for an HA weapon. The VS needed a manportable PPA.

Old 2012-07-01, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
infy
Corporal

Weapons in ps doesn't really matter, it's all bout your aim. Sometimes i can kill people with the lasher way faster than the mcg/jh, clientside oi?

check out some of my vids :

Old 2012-07-01, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
legendary
Private

The Lasher does it job. Stop trying to use it like the other HA weapons, it has its own sweet spot, even if it’s a bit squirrelly to aim. The lasher is a great team weapon, godly suppression.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion