Friday Night Ops, Tunnels and SMGS Feb 1 - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You're getting brain juice all over the keyboard!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-02-02, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Friday Night Ops, Tunnels and SMGS Feb 1

Originally Posted by Shuuda View Post
Talk about moving the goal posts, you guys:

"We want tunnels out of the spawn rooms!"

"Here you go."

"No! You've got to put the SCU and Generators in them, and let there be massive fights! This sucks! The developers NEVER LISTEN!"
Looks like you havn't been listening since pre-alpha either.

We have gone into some excruciating detail at times summing up the problems with getting into situations you can't judge before you get out into a firing squad situation. That goes for anti-grav lifts, teleporters, drops out of spawns and more.

We have posted many times over where a SCU should be located, that the CC should always be reachable by indoors without vehicles interfering, infantry bufferzone meaning an decent area where spawning infantry can only be engaged by other spawning infantry.

I'm not sure how many times it has been requested for the love of humanity to put the spawns into the main base and underground into a bunker complex that could only be camped and rooted out by infantry. Probably a few million times.

How hard can it be to see a new camp area when you create one?

How hard can it be to realise these tunnels, implemented as they are now, will be an inefficient variant on teleporters?

Hell, there even were sarcastic postings that they didn't hope the tunnels would be long straight lines, literal tunnels, "because that sounds like something SOE would do".

And you somehow missed all the months of constructive critique and just read "tunnels" and then complain nobody ever said something about the how? Wow.

You know, when people don't say "don't put anti-grav elevators at the end, it is because people expect that to be common sense in that they would get camped. When people comment the courtyard is too big as is and logistical lines for defenders too long, as is, then a long tunnel isn't exactly what we seem to be asking for, now is it?

Nobody asked for defender only tunnels as far as I'm aware of. "Attacker tunnels" sound like the opposite of this. Yet one of the main complaints is that attackers can camp too easily. What does this do? It creates a slower, more campable version of the Sunderer in a vehicle bay. That is all. Sorry if you are surprised we are surprised.

Maybe we have too much experience to see such things as common sense...

It makes me become quite desperate though.

I did see some improvements to the tower, so let's hope that at least accounts for something.
Old 2013-02-02, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Tikuto
Major

PacMan tunnel....

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2013-02-02 at 05:34 AM.
Old 2013-02-02, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Figment
Lieutenant General

Btw, you can actually see just how large the courtyard is if you look at the length of that tunnel.

That's probably culprit #1 where it comes to indefensible courtyard, of course next to ignoring the walls constantly by either skipping over them or driving through the holes.

Also a warning: you know how you can "cling"/"hang"to terrain everywhere? You see how narrow those manholes are? You're going out headfirst and will get stuck on your shoulder while being pushed up, just like how when you're jumping down or going up through the yellow shields often get you stuck for a millisecond.

That's enough even for me to get a headshot off, tbh.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-02-02 at 07:23 AM.
Old 2013-02-02, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
laoss
Private

Actually I was expecting some kind of underground tunnel system with underground halls where you can reach every building in the base. Some sort of bunker system without any fancy tech. Not those tiny one-way tubes ..

Last edited by laoss; 2013-02-02 at 07:26 AM.
Old 2013-02-02, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
bjorntju1
Captain

The SMG's look very cool though! Lets hope the other guns get the same makeover!
Old 2013-02-04, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Yes I know some guys are disappointed but im relieved that at least there is now an option to get out of the spawn room. And as Arc said its a first iteration, so we should cut them a little slack. I love the new spawn rooms, a major improvement.

Old 2013-02-04, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by laoss View Post
Actually I was expecting some kind of underground tunnel system with underground halls where you can reach every building in the base. Some sort of bunker system without any fancy tech. Not those tiny one-way tubes ..
That's what I was asking for.

The whole thing makes me wonder how they will implement the extra continents and the interc ontinental meta game. Experience indicates not well.

I believe the Germans use a term in engineering of doing something English, or something like that, meaning just about good enough to get by but in reality not done well. This whole patch is like that.

Not desperate figgy despondent.

Last edited by ringring; 2013-02-04 at 06:37 AM.
Old 2013-02-04, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I believe the Germans use a term in engineering of doing something English, or something like that, meaning just about good enough to get by but in reality not done well. This whole patch is like that.

Not desperate figgy despondent.
What you're saying is, they're constantly first creating the Robin Reliant in the class of alternative game mechanics, where the other alternatives are Golfs and Porsche 911s: all older pre-existing concepts, but some are reliable and one is uhm... British.
Old 2013-02-04, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

So Ze Germans have a term called "British" when describing something mediocre built to just "get by"?

.....Sounds about right actually (I'm British)
Old 2013-02-04, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
I said this in chat during the stream and I'll say it here.

The 1st pass on tunnels is just defender only, we are trying to see how they play. What the players do, how they use them. After we have that info we can look into more tunnels, different tunnels, attacker tunnels etc. Just remember this is the first iteration.

You guys were beta players, you saw many first iterations on lots of things, you also saw us systematically tune and tweak first iterations to become better versions.

Hopefully this clears things up about the tunnels.

I think you guys took Tunnels to literately. We wanted underground components to bases with objectives added as an alternative method of assault of a base ( Like a INF only backdoor ).

Personally I was also hoping you guys would take a tip from PS1 and move the spawns down there.

Also, with occlusion, frustum and dynamic object removal, I'm not sure why you would NOT want part of the base game play underground, it seems like this would be a boon to the render distance problem.

Personally, I feel you guys dropped the ball.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion