orbiting stations 'contintnet' (space battles) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So easy a caveman can do it!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-17, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Gugabalog
Major

Re: orbiting stations 'contintnet' (space battles)

I played SWG, the seperation felt necessary. Though it would of been cool to have airstrikes by space craft.
Old 2012-08-24, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
EpicBlaster
Private

I think this idea is cool, but I also have another idea for the err idea. First I think each space station owned will allow you to do certain support things on certain Continents. EG If say the Vanu own the station above Indar they could (Possibly?) do some of the following, Air Strikes or More Drop Pod Landing options, (they can drop pod far into enemy territory)
Old 2012-09-08, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
KamiGaijin
Private

This is an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a long while too.

Each Empire will have 1 facility in orbit above each continent. These facilities are where the Orbital Strikes come from.
Make these bases attack-able using aircraft: since the aircraft in this game could theoretically achieve orbit (their engines don't require atmospheric oxidizer for fuel). Taking out an enemy orbital facility would disable their ability to call down OS's on that cont.

To reach the facility, you would have to fly all the way to the enemy WG and then simply ascend up until you transfer to another zone. This zone would have different flying physics due to reduced atmospheric drag and greater inertia. To actually enter the base, you would need to enter a shielded hanger. Maybe have a it so the shield will initially block landing, but a generator can be destroyed by aircraft to weaken it allowing entry, but keeping breathable atmosphere in.
You could even make it so there is a separate entrance, but only MAXes could get in because it requires exiting the Gal in space.

Last edited by KamiGaijin; 2012-09-08 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2012-09-08, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I proposed orbital bases in PS1 years ago. Actually spoke with T-Ray (PS1 and now PS2 art director) in person about it years ago and he said they'd actually done up a whole bunch of art assets for orbital bases in PS1 but they were all scrapped in favor of putting in the caves. He seemed kinda bitter about it; musta been a lot of work wasted.

I'd say maybe it's something they'd put in PS2 after release but Dust 514 kinda moved in on the orbital base concept and it might be too "copycat" now to implement.

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-09-08 at 11:30 PM.
Old 2012-09-08, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
brighthand
Corporal

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
I proposed orbital bases in PS1 years ago. Actually spoke with T-Ray (PS1 and now PS2 art director) in person about it years ago and he said they'd actually done up a whole bunch of art assets for orbital bases in PS1 but they were all scrapped in favor of putting in the caves. He seemed kinda bitter about it; musta been a lot of work wasted.

I'd say maybe it's something they'd put in PS2 after release but Dust 514 kinda moved in on the orbital base concept and it might be too "copycat" now to implement.
Let us hope that the possible "copycattery" of this idea will not be enough to deter the devs from implementing it anyways; this idea is FAR too amazing and beneficial to this game to be left out in the rain.
Old 2012-09-09, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by brighthand View Post
Let us hope that the possible "copycattery" of this idea will not be enough to deter the devs from implementing it anyways; this idea is FAR too amazing and beneficial to this game to be left out in the rain.
Agreed. Smed is definitely set on player-built bases being put in some time after launch, and with this new Player Studio allowing the community to create their own PS2 art assets, perhaps we'll see the community push for player-built orbital bases.

Besides, Smed is a huge EVE-Online fan (I'm a long-time player myself) and has openly admitted to borrowing ideas from the game, which is tied directly to Dust 514 (they inhabit the same universe and the games interact cross-platform). As long as CCP doesn't see PS2 as competing with Dust 514 (which isn't likely as Dust 514 is a PS3 console exclusive) then it might not be an issue.
Old 2012-09-15, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Whiteagle
Major

I have an idea that could work.
What if Auraxis had a web-like, low orbital mega-structure (similar to an Orbital Ring, but laid out in a hexagonal lattice of facilities and frame connecting them) that was tied to the continents by various space elevators?

Factions would then be able to not only fight for the low orbital stations, but also be able to fight their way up or down the Elevators in order to gain secondary footholds in otherwise unreachable enemy territory.
Old 2012-09-17, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Wiifi
Private

Take a successful game such as Star Wars Battlefront 2 and apply it to Planetside... I remember spending hours playing on the space platforms/ships there and I was playing against AI for the most part. I remember spending so much time flying from ship to ship going into the enemies ship and camping the shield generator. That on a larger scale, having to destroy/take over multiple ships would be amazing.
Old 2012-09-17, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
KernolKlusterFk
Corporal

They are already contemplating if they should add Naval vehicles to future updates. Now you request Space updates LOL?
Old 2012-09-17, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
brighthand
Corporal

Originally Posted by KernolKlusterFk View Post
They are already contemplating if they should add Naval vehicles to future updates. Now you request Space updates LOL?

I would take low-orbiting space fights before naval warfare, even though naval warfare is also very welcomed.
Old 2012-09-17, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
KernolKlusterFk
Corporal

I would take low-orbiting space fights before naval warfare, even though naval warfare is also very welcomed.
Obviously most people would. And obviously space flights will probably require 10x more work. Also note that PlanetSide has always had a large Military/ Navy player community and have been asking for Naval implimentations since PS1. Nothing says teamwork (and Epic) more than 20+ people operating 1 ship.
Old 2012-09-18, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by KernolKlusterFk View Post
Obviously most people would. And obviously space flights will probably require 10x more work. Also note that PlanetSide has always had a large Military/ Navy player community and have been asking for Naval implimentations since PS1. Nothing says teamwork (and Epic) more than 20+ people operating 1 ship.
I would think that space would require less work. And I'd be in even more favor of 20+ people operating 1 space ship than a naval craft.
Old 2012-09-18, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
KernolKlusterFk
Corporal

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
I would think that space would require less work. And I'd be in even more favor of 20+ people operating 1 space ship than a naval craft.
lol why do you think it would be easier to impliment space battles when the ground work for the game engine has already been made for ground war. Actually you may be right, if a space ONLY map were made where they just simply lowered the gravity and made new vehicles and bases.

Last edited by KernolKlusterFk; 2012-09-18 at 10:27 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault