News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Loose mouses sink Mosquitos....or something like that.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-12, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
exile
Private

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
This might have been perfectly true with the old xbox. Im pretty sure that the old xbox didnt have native support for kb+m like the ps4 has. And for just a few bucks a young consoleer can go down to walmart and purchase a cheapo mouse and keyboard and play his ps4 like he was part of the pc master race.
Seriously, if you were going to set up a mouse and keyboard in front of your TV, where would you put them? As I said before, some people will use a mouse and keyboard with their console, but for most it is too much of a hassle. If having a decent experience with the game is predicated on that it's just a barrier to entry that SOE does not want it's players to have to go through.
Old 2013-06-12, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
exile
Private

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
It's piss funny that you seem to think all consoler's are kids... Also that the only FPS on a console is CoD ...(grabs D)
Where do I say they are kids? I actually own a 360 and a PS3 and still use them both a lot (Street Fighter, Dark Souls, Terraria, classic arcade games like Final Fight, etc).

CoD isn't the only one but is far and away the biggest FPS community (the biggest anything community?) on consoles and exactly the player base that SOE wants to tap into.

Last edited by exile; 2013-06-12 at 07:40 AM.
Old 2013-06-12, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by exile View Post
Ffs, this game isn't your personal little sand pit to play in with no consequences outside it, it is a game played by thousands of other people and also a business. SOE has to speculate about what will be best for the game, because there is little chance of getting players to come back after they have tried it and left.

It's just a simple matter of risk/reward, why would SOE add any additional risk without a major incentive? What is that incentive?

And yes, I am classy as fuck.
Again, if it's too much work for little reward in regards to making the software work cross-platform then no, they shouldn't do it. But if it isn't, and they plan on offering keyboard + mouse support for the console version of the game anyways, why not offer the players who do use them to play against players who are on the PC? That's IF the controller really sucks that much. Cause I don't have any evidence of that other then the MS XBox article that was linked. Doesn't the PC version allow the use of controller devices already? Sorry, I'm not a console gamer and I don't know much about the controversy/debate over this subject. There's apparently a lot of it though.

Classy my ass....

Last edited by Crator; 2013-06-12 at 08:46 AM.
Old 2013-06-12, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
Regpuppy
Private

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
I want cross-platform compatibility
The problem with this, in shooters at least, is that console based shooters both need and use aim assist, even if you don't notice it. This makes controllers more usable for them than they would be otherwise.

When the aim assist is fairly strong, it can end up annoying lower to mid skilled PC gamers. If it's not present, the PC gamers will absolutely and hopelessly destroy console gamers because precise aim with the mouse, barring extreme aim assist, is far superior. Even with aim assist, I'd expect PC gamers to absolutely make life hell for console gamers.

Not to mention the fact that after a year passes. Having them both connected to each other would -greatly- hinder it's development from the standpoint of a PC gamer.

They're far better off splitting the two up because any of these issues can cause players from both mediums to be upset with the game. It's better to have separation of servers with people being on more or less equal footing with each other.

Last edited by Regpuppy; 2013-06-12 at 10:32 AM.
Old 2013-06-12, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Okay, my view on PS4 version of PS2: This is kind of the same as my opinion of MLG: It's going to force a standard upon PS2, so we'll enjoy greater optimization, balance, and funds that will go towards greater things being introduced into the game... so in that regard I am fine with it, though personally I will not be participating.

When it comes to Cross platform: Yeah I'd love to see a cross platform server, but only because at my core, I am a being of pure evil and chaos, who derives energy from the tortured souls of others. In reality, it isn't going to ruin my day if that never comes into being.
Old 2013-06-12, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Whiteagle
Major

Seriously, if you were going to set up a mouse and keyboard in front of your TV, where would you put them? As I said before, some people will use a mouse and keyboard with their console, but for most it is too much of a hassle. If having a decent experience with the game is predicated on that it's just a barrier to entry that SOE does not want it's players to have to go through.
Then we must invent... THE COUCH MOUSE!!!

A mouse that works on any couch upholstery!

...People kind of already use Keyboards with higher end Entertainment centers...

...Actually now that I think about it, what's to stop them from opening up the control scheme so you can mix and match input devices?

So you could use a Controller in your left hand and a couch mouse in your right...

...My god... I'VE CREATED A MONSTER!!!
Old 2013-06-12, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Crator
Major General

Looks like some PS2 players use a mouse+controller combo, without a keyboard. Is this game controller supported?
Old 2013-06-12, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Looks like some PS2 players use a mouse+controller combo, without a keyboard. Is this game controller supported?
My god, if Sony were to make some sort of Gamepad+Pointer peripheral...
Old 2013-06-12, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
My god, if Sony were to make some sort of Gamepad+Pointer peripheral...
I guess. Seems they would still be separate though. Cause the players seem to be using the mouse for precision aiming while still using the directional pad to move around but when not needing precision aiming they simply use both hands on the controller, with the joystick.
Old 2013-06-12, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
exile
Private

I assume that controller & mouse setup is so they can use the controller for flying.
Old 2013-06-12, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
exile
Private

That's IF the controller really sucks that much. Cause I don't have any evidence of that other then the MS XBox article that was linked.
Think about the basic physics of it: a controller requires you to move your crosshair from point A to point B at a constant speed, capped to your mouse sensitivity; a mouse essentially lets you "place" your cursor where you want it by moving your hand to the corresponding position on your desk. A controller moves in a direction, a mouse snaps to a point.

Think about doing a quick check behind you as you're running along; with the mouse this is two quick flicks to turn 180 and then turn back, taking a fraction of a second. With a controller, in order to do it in anywhere near the same amount of time you would have to have your sensitivity so high that the slightest touch of the stick causes a large amount of movement, making fine aiming extremely difficult. In reality, in order to have decent aim, most players use a controller sensitivity that means doing a simple check of their 6 takes a couple of seconds or more!

This is the heart of the issue, even without taking into account the difference in stability and control you have with your whole hand and arm controlling a mouse, compared to your thumb which is the least dexterous part of your hand!

Now put this into PS2, where situational awareness is a vital skill in the complex, open environments where attacks can come from any direction, including above you, and any half decent player is constantly looking all around them for threats and targets.

Controllers are just disabled compared to a mouse, there is absolutely no room for debate in this.

Last edited by exile; 2013-06-12 at 08:09 PM.
Old 2013-06-12, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Actually I would be a severe disadvantage if I had to switch to PS4 using a mouse and keyboard.

Losing my Nostromo would be really bad. (Some people this doesnt bother as they are just fine using a keyboard with out looking, other people like me need solid anchor points in order to use more than 5 or so keys.)
Old 2013-06-12, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Crator
Major General

Controllers are just disabled compared to a mouse, there is absolutely no room for debate in this.
You're right, but I've already stated that some are using mouse+controller setup and throwing away the keyboard. That gets rid of the issue with sitting on the couch. So, still viable cross-platform imo.
Old 2013-06-12, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
exile
Private

You're right, but I've already stated that some are using mouse+controller setup and throwing away the keyboard. That gets rid of the issue with sitting on the couch. So, still viable cross-platform imo.
Your logic is unassailable.
Old 2013-06-12, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Why do you care anyway? Do you want to play aim-assist-handicapside so badly as to argue in favor of prenerfing the console port into a CoD clone?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion