Anyone else worried about the Max? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Going down faster than a whore on overtime
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Virulence
Sergeant

Re: Anyone else worried about the Max?

I liked how they weren't completely impervious to small arms fire.

With solid medic/engineer support, though, yeah - they're going to be an absolute terror.
While the union makes us strong.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

No there was no cool down timers for the MAX or cost resources they could even get in tanks this was just like arena battle anything goes.When they are resources to buy the max and on a cool down timer it be better
Old 2012-06-05, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
atone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Virulence View Post
I liked how they weren't completely impervious to small arms fire.

With solid medic/engineer support, though, yeah - they're going to be an absolute terror.
definitely. i think that is key with what they said about making sure that you never feel like your ineffective while also rewarding those that team play. win/win
Old 2012-06-05, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

It took, what, 3 Deci shots to kill one back in the day? Now they can actually be hurt by small arms, but with that hit point pool they should retain their defensive and siege breaking capabilities.

The VS MAX is definitely the most agile... in its sprint/run mode it seems to be able to keep up with Agile-armored grunts.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
MAXes can't jump so there's actually almost no dodging from missiles in a max, kinda changes many things.
Yeah, but the missile did 25% damage ingame. At least the fission did. Now the MAX moves just as fast as a heavy assault, they were pretty effective at long range, they have more health and they turn just as fast. Since medical app/engineer ap are class specific the Heavy Assault is basically on equal ground with that MAX unit, a MAX can carry AI/AV or AI/AA so again it has basically the same privelege as a heavy assault.

So a Heavy Assault guy requires 4 shots to kill the MAX but is in every other way it's equal or at a disadvantage. In Planetside MAX's were powerful but they required teammates to cover their flanks due to slow speed and slow turning, in Planetside 2 they can turn fast and move fast in sprint and dont take long to jump in/out of sprint. They don't require friends to cover their sides so they have all the power and none of the cost. If the MAX went into the open in Planetside the Heavy Assault could flank it and use movement but now that MAX's are about as fast in combat/turning as Heavy Assault the only real advantage among infantry is the vertical play that the Light Assault can bring to the game.

In other words MAX's have the power to take on 2-3 others with none of the tradeoff that their Planetside 1 equivalents made to get that power. I know it's silly to complain about alpha footage but they seriously need a turning rate lock or far longer time to come out of/go into sprint to be balanced.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Furber
First Sergeant

Old 2012-06-05, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
proxy
Contributor
Sergeant

Those MAX's did look pretty spry.

There should be a slow acceleration when strafing, etc. They should be dependent on squad mates to watch its back.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
proxy
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Yeah, we know it's alpha. We're judging alpha, not the final game.
This

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Furber
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
Not worried at all.

I have full confidence in the developers that they will tweak and balance the game during beta.
This. Basically summed up by my image
Old 2012-06-05, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Haro
Master Sergeant

I've said in early posts, it's really way to early to judge, especially since most of us and most planetside veterans haven't played yet.

But if I had to justify current balance, it'd be like this:

1. I like softer maxes. Purely personal opinion here, but since they will be part of indoor combat a lot, it was often difficult for me and others to get good AV weapons on them. So I think this is better, though I'm open to tuning.

2. More importantly, I think the class system will help balance this. For one, Maxes will be more common than ever, because they are much more available. People like playing them, and even in this gameplay, I saw a lot of brutal max footage, just tearing through people. They definitely have more staying power than regular infantry, and if you had the numbers of maxes in PS2 with PS1 armor, then they would be ridiculously overpowered. On top of that, maxes can go multi-role now, carrying both AV and AI weapons, or dual AI weapons, making them much more of a threat to infantry overall.

In addition, classes helps limit their hard counters while making some of their best allies more common. I think there will be more engineers in PS2 than one because they don't need elaborate certing, and are part of a more functional class. Therefore, repairing maxes can be very powerful, and should be encouraged. On the other hand, rockets will be more limited, and you just can't carry a deci in your inventory anymore, so I think that Maxes need more of a soft counter.

I think this cannot be stated enough: This is not Planetside. This is Planetside 2. Things are going to be different, and though some of you may want to have everything from the original come back, that's not going to happen and I hope, for everyone's sake, we keep an open mind about these things. From the sound of interviews and from some of the footage I saw, Maxes still have plenty of firepower and a lot of people loved playing as them. I can't truly say whether or not they're balanced, obviously, but just realize that we cannot truly judge this gameplay by the standards of the original. Too much has changed in the overall structure for the characteristics of the original to transfer untouched.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Not particularly worried no, everytime someone tried to kill a MAX in the small bit of the stream I managed to get to see they did so one at a time. I think its acceptable for MAX units as they are supposed to perform the roll of indoor tanks. If you aren't coordinated or at least attacking en masse you should be turned into ground beef.

MAX units really wouldn't be effective in their roll if they couldn't easily shred individuals and repel small groups of infantry with no coordination. Now like I said I didn't see everything so maybe I missed something but I did get to see some MAX action and that was my impression.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-05, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

The MAX is a newer edition to regular olaytesting and will get plenty of scrutiny before launch.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
The MAX is a newer edition to regular olaytesting and will get plenty of scrutiny before launch.
Like removed armor regen?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Aurmanite
Captain

What I saw was smart MAX's living so long they ran out of ammo, and bad MAX's getting killed by light assault.

Looked about right to me.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
The Kush
Captain

Nope it looks exactly like PS1, clearly you have never played PS1 or you wouldn't have made this thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion