Can Endgame/Metagame help drive PS2 to continued success? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You are now pregnant with Hamma's child.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2009-11-11, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Can Endgame/Metagame help drive PS2 to continued success?

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
No. No fucking economy, period. No gathering flowers. No gathering scrap metal. No weapons-making, no farming, no resource gathering. No taking PvE missions for money. None of that shit.

You put any kind of commodity in a game, and the fucking Chinese and Koreans will abuse those free accounts and spam the living fuck out of you saying "BUY MY PLAT! WWW.WEBSITE.COM CHEAP AND FAST!"

Fuck that. I fucking hate - I *HATE* I HATE I HATE - gold-spammers. You want to kill my interest in a game? Allow Hong Xiaopeng and Ji Jen-kim to come in with their army of mindless workerbees and abuse free trials out the ass. It's bad enough I had to fucking endure Smiley777 and GODJOEY spamming global broadcasts with their horse shit, and it's bad enough that I had to endure free-trial spammers causing havoc in chat.
A game economy doesn't need money to work. Take NTU for example. Expand what you can use it for in more diverse applications. Add it is a fuel source to vehicles, etc. Make it necessary to maintain NTU supply lines and I don't mean making ANT runs a constant need.

Old 2009-11-13, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by JackEarthrider View Post
you must really hate free trial people.
No, just gold-sellers.
Old 2009-11-13, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
No, just gold-sellers.

Well the thing about gold sellers is they are typically just poor asians doing it as a job. And are often bad at the game itself. Because of this they typically are not a problem in PvP focused games cause there are those that will just hunt them down an kill them for kicks an free gold. Since we can be certain Planetside Next will probably not have any PvE zones an will have you vulnerable to the other faction all the time I don't see them being any issue if there was an economy. Besides I think if there was an economy the farming work might be automated by machines an controllable structures anyway.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I really don't care if it's their job. And they're all level one and they all stay in safe zones so you can't kill them.

JUST SAY NO TO ECONOMY
Old 2009-11-14, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Firefly, I mostly agree with you.

If theres an economy though, the only way you should be able to gain Empire (Gold, lets call it just for the sake of argument) Gold is by taking bases, or Outfit Gold if someone in your outfit gains a CR level. If your outfit is the only involved with taking the base, your Outfit gains half the amount of Gold that your empire does.

I absolutely agree, however, that resource gathering cannot be a part of of an FPS. Actually though, now that I think of it, making ANT runs to the nearest warpgate could be called resource gathering. But maybe if the resource gathering was not beneficial to anything or anybody except yourself. Maybe a global shop at each sanctuary, where any resources you collected could be used to buy ONLY ITEMS THAT WOULD CHANGE THE LOOK OF YOUR CHARACTER. The market would also be run by the game, and there are no rising or falling of prices, and if tons of people buy item A, Item A doesn't run out of stock.

Thats going fairly far out on a limb, and I think that if any character personalization items are to be for sale, you should have to pay real money for them.
Old 2009-11-19, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ANaKeR
Private

No economy.

Keep the game the way it is. An economy would change the game too much and would take the focus away from it as a First Person Shooter.
Old 2009-11-19, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Tikuto
Major

Here to shoot and kill and not to share cock-rings on an in-game auction.

No economy please. Wouldn't be PlanetSide with that in it.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2009-11-19 at 03:18 PM.
Old 2009-11-21, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

It would be appreciated if you guys read what people post instead of just sayin "no economy."

I'm not sure what the reference of 'cock-ring sharing' was, but the economy wouldn't really be player-driven.

Nobody is actually interacting with each other, the only thing that you can do with the economy is buy.

The two ways to affect the economy would be pretty simple.

The more land, bases, or continents you own, the more stuff is available for your character, outfit, and empire to buy.

The more your character, outfit, and empire does (specifically taking bases, taking continents), the more money your character, outfit, or empire has to buy the available equipment.

Since it seems that everyone is against having an economy, The things you can buy shouldn't affect the gameplay, just the way characters and bases look.

For example, you and your outfit successfully take a base. Because you were the hacker that hacked the CC, you gain, lets say, 500 gold. You go to the equipment terminal, and buy a 'Base Hacker' (500 gold) patch, that shows up as a colored ring on your ankle/wrist. This doesn't change you or your enemies ability to fire a gun, it just shows your empire (and enemies) that you've hacked a base. Now lets also say, you were the leader of the outfit that took the base. Depending on the percentage of involvement of people in your outfit vs. people who are not in your outfit, you gain a representative amount of Outfit gold. With the outfit gold you recieved, you buy a 1 day outfit emblem, so that everyone in your outfit has a symbol (of your choice) on their shoulder. Again, gameplay is not affected, you are just recognized as someone in the outfit.

There are also multiple ways this could be expanded, depending on new ideas that aren't in PlanetSide, but have been mentioned on this forum.

If you have a "General of the Army", or someone who has supreme control over the empire, he could have Empire gold, and could use it to buy things for the empire. However, if there were to be Empire gold, it would most likely start to affect the gameplay. However, the Empire gold cant be 'farmed' and no single player could gain enough Empire gold to make a difference. For instance, the GoA could buy extra turrets for a base under siege, or a small outpost to better defend a narrow canyon or other choke point. These Empire gold bought would be completely destructable (once their bar is depleted, they not only go offline, but EXPLODE... The gold is then gone, and more has to be won in order to rebuild the structure.

Also, the 'constructables' could have timers, depending on how much money you bought them for.

Lastly, as a game modifier to make people want to work in squads, you could have a 1.5x exp/gold bonus for being in a full squad, and a 2x exp/gold bonus for being in a full platoon.

Also, outfits could gain 1.25x Outfit exp/Outfit gold for having an all-outfit squad, and 1.5x for a full platoon.

I'm not sure if exp bonuses are already set up in PlanetSide, but a gold bonus would be another incentive to join up in a squad.

Quick recap, gold doesn't affect the gameplay at all, just changes the way your character looks.
Old 2009-11-22, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Tikuto
Major

An economy in PlanetSide would easily get the NO vote. It wouldn't be welcomed at all by the majority including me.

Originally Posted by JackEarthrider View Post
To summarize:
Resource gathering, yes
Some form of customization/crafting, yes

Overpowered customization, no (that will lead to everyone needing it)
Progressive resource costs, only to a point (make it interesting, but not long)

Base customization, sure, but only if its not a days to build minutes to destroy kinda thing or no one will bother.
However, resource-gathering sounds interesting. I thought of this before in another thread. Each Empire gathers resources from somewhere to be able to trigger events like temporarily allowing BFRs or huge flying Behemoths of the sky, or maybe fortify the Empires home-land (Sancutary); something like Warhammer Online's city-ranks.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2009-11-22 at 06:12 AM.
Old 2009-11-22, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

resource gathering would be stupid in an FPS, if there was resource gathering it should only be to benefit the empire as a whole, not the person who was gathering the resources.

Maybe an exp bonus
Old 2009-11-22, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
resource gathering would be stupid in an FPS, if there was resource gathering it should only be to benefit the empire as a whole, not the person who was gathering the resources.

Maybe an exp bonus
That's what I mean. Empire global objectives gathering resources somehow like using old Teraforming facilities, new resource-gathering facilities, remote player-contructed camps to gather resources, ownership of a Cavern, Oil rigs and so-on. these goals would be on the side of our minds and we wouldn't frequently actively compete for the resources. We'd just be fighting and winning, and--OH We have enough resources to set an Empire-wide player-triggered super-Event.
Old 2009-11-22, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Kumoblade
Corporal

Originally Posted by ANaKeR View Post
No economy.

Keep the game the way it is. An economy would change the game too much and would take the focus away from it as a First Person Shooter.
Keep the game the way it is?

Then that would keep the population the way it is. In a Pathetic state.

If people aren't willing to change or adapt to newer games then stay playing this one if thats all you want.

However, you have to look at the fact that PlanetSide Next won't stand on its own 2 legs if its Modelled the same way as PlanetSide was.

Now a days People want MORE. There has to be another element of gameplay besides go shoot someone's face off in a Mindless war of no dominance.

If you're happy with PlanetSide, thats great, play PlanetSide. However, modelling a Next Gen Game after a 6 year old game is a STUPID MOVE. It's got to have more selling points than Counter-Strike, COD4, Global Agenda, UT3, etc... Games which offer "First Person Shooter" Elements, and Global Agenda appearing to be setting the bar for what may classify as an MMOFPS (which I really don't think it is).

Personally, I don't think there should be an Out-of-Outfit trade economy.

I think games like Mafia Wars for facebook did a damn good job on how an economy should be, or hell, even Borderlands. I think there should be a Salary provided to your character based on your Battle Rank/Command Rank/Achievements. And I think there should be an Upkeep on what kind of gear/items you want to use and you purchase/sell upgrades and such from Outfit Vendors/Faction Vendors and be rid of character trading all together. Then other players can go to said vendors and find items that others have sold there and are for sale. No player setting prices BS.

Also, I think there should be a salvage yard where you can drop off salvaged items you've picked up which are used for upgrading empire cities/outfits/garages, etc.. to provide Outfits and/or Empires with more available and better upgrades for vehicles, weapons, etc...

Last edited by Kumoblade; 2009-11-22 at 04:50 PM.
Old 2009-11-22, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I think a salary would be an interesting concept to add to PSN.

Though, i'm of the opinion that while there should be an economy in PlanetSide Next, it should be completely controlled by the 'government'. An economy would definitely set PSN apart from other games of its genre (again), SOE would have to implement it correctly. Players should have little to no control over prices.
Most everyone who is in favor of an economy is also in favor of having a computer program control the economy.
Old 2009-11-22, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Kumoblade
Corporal

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
I think a salary would be an interesting concept to add to PSN.

Though, i'm of the opinion that while there should be an economy in PlanetSide Next, it should be completely controlled by the 'government'. An economy would definitely set PSN apart from other games of its genre (again), SOE would have to implement it correctly. Players should have little to no control over prices.
Most everyone who is in favor of an economy is also in favor of having a computer program control the economy.
With good reason. People are assholes when you give them any amount of power/control over an economy. Look at HP who made 1.9 billion in 12 weeks, and turned around and gave all their employees paycuts in a poor economic situation, and plan for more paycuts next year. =P.

3rd Party NPCs and governments should control the economy. Big wig super corporations, black market dealerships, etc.. etc..

Honestly, I'm all for just more interactivity. We have First Person Shooter games. PS:Next needs something to set it apart. What if engineers could sabotage enemy vehicles? Stealth in and plant bombs on vehicles so when they're started up, they go boom, or they break down after so long of driving. Tear important components out and reverse engineer them so your Outfit can implement cross-faction parts in their vehicles, etc...

What if Hackers could download valuable data from enemy terminals to assist in getting plans/upgrades to make for your own faction. Or turn on a Gas switch to flush the enemy spawn room with carbon Monoxide to poison them when capturing a base, or locking doors/unlocking others from a remote terminal associated with a base? What if you could engage in hacking warfare with other hackers? What if you could hack medical terminals to inject poison into people instead of healing them?

What if infiltrators could don enemy uniforms, sneak in and steal vital information from terminals?

A race to new technologies founded on spying/hacking/engineering/chop shopping/and salvaging. An economy and warfare based on a race to beat the other factions to new weapons and vehicles and gear while the other factions tries to prevent advancement and sabotage advancements you make.

With so much to do, you could get quite an amount of diversity in a FPS while having hundreds of soldiers on the field of battle with something worth fighting for.

Last edited by Kumoblade; 2009-11-22 at 11:48 PM.
Old 2009-11-23, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sifer2
Major

I agree with what kumoblade said above. All you people so against the idea of any economy do need to realize that if Planetside is not changed in the sequel its unlikely to do any better than the first did. I am sure SOE themselves realize this an we need to come to grips with that.

Anyway yeah when it comes down it I too kind of prefer more of a global system than an individual system. Where gathering resources might benefit you somewhat but is mostly about improving your factions supplies of equipment an such. Similar to how ANT's work powering bases for everyone. I don't think anyone is asking for a world of warcraft style auction house.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion