Thermal targets and heat grenades - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I predict you will eat something in the next week...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-08-01, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ozziewolf
Private

Thermal targets and heat grenades

The title basically sums up what I have in mind.

The thermal target would be a deployable that when viewed through a thermal scope would look like a person off in the distance. Up close it could look like anything from a card board cut out in the shape of a person to some sort of small device that projects the heat signature on to a nearby surface.

My other idea is a heat grenade. Little to no damage the heat grenade would create a large heat radius that would obscure any one in or behind it when viewed through thermal scopes. At most when looking through the heat wave with a normal scope you'd see some wavy mirage effect that wouldn't really obscure vision.
Functionally it's a smoke grenade that is only useful at night against thermal scopes.
Old 2012-08-01, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gugabalog
Major

Re: Thermal targets and heat grenades

I love this idea!

Reminds me of WW2 disinformation campaigns.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kneesoxx
Private

I don't know how useful this would be, though. How would the target behave? Certainly if it just stood there, it would not be convincing enough.

I think the heat grenade is too use-specific. IMO the best balance is where everything is unique - not every attachment or weapon needs a hard counter.

Last edited by Kneesoxx; 2012-08-02 at 12:19 AM.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
WVoneseven
Corporal

Great idea!! There should also be a daylight flash nade and the thermal fakes should look believable at distance in the day as well :P
Old 2012-08-02, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gonzo
Private

These are interesting ideas, but are very specific and role-specific.

When we have to spend resources on grenades, I doubt very many people will buy heat grenades vs other types. The function of blinding thermal vision should probably be rolled in with a standard flashbang-style grenade, to keep it more useful and appealing to "buyers" in a market with a lot of very useful competition.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Novice bot
Sergeant

For thermal scopes, there also needs to be "chill" suits for INF's. As it seems that INF's already have an form of detection towards other INF's, that kind of class spec should stay viable, and thermal vision should not "top" that easily. Naturally, if the INF doesn't spec points into blocking thermal, then he should be visible through it. Perhaps we could give it to Light Assaults as well.
Old 2012-08-02, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gugabalog
Major

Maybe willie pete (White Phosphorous) could be the heat grenade? That way it wouyld have actualy use as a destructive greande and maybe short term area denial?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault