Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 60 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The NC say - Better dead than red!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-10, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #886
mynameismud
Corporal

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

For me, i am not saying how anyone else should feel or think. But for me this isnt something that can be compromised, balanced, or added in to see if it works.

FOR ME, not pushing my opinion on anyone else.

but FOR ME if prone is in any way then i simply wont play the game. If you like prone im happy for ya, im am not trying to tell anyone something they like is bad.

I just do not like it not one bit. Even if the scale, factions, and vehicles come back, if prone is in this no longer seems like planetside to me anymore.

I was fine with everything else they have changed so far, but this feature will make me not play.

I am not saying my thoughts on this should change anyone's opinion cause that would be selfish. I am just saying I am excited for this game cause it is called planetside. If prone is added in it no longer seems like a planetside game to me despite the factions, scale, and vehicles coming back.

If it is added to beta I will give it 3 days to be removed before i sadly go back to TF2.
Old 2012-06-10, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #887
indirect
Staff Sergeant

I love prone, but it's not welcome in Planetside.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #888
commiedic
Private

Long topic is long, but here is my reason for having prone in the game and what the animation should be.

Prone is great for snipers and hiding yourself from vehicles. That is why it is so necessary in games like Battlefield. When you have a tank coming by or a helicopter flying overhead crouching just doesn't do the trick when behind cover. Snipers can utilize it to minimize how much of them can be seen. Since they are about getting in vantage points and taking strategic shots. It is a very useful mechanic and I believe it has a place in every FPS especially ones with high powered MAX suits and vehicles.

How should it work? Definitely not like CoD where you instantly faceplant the ground and can shoot while doing it. It should be a "slow" animation. I would like to see a prone animation implemented that goes through crouch first and then goes to prone, but while in animation you can't shoot, throw grenades, sprint, or reload. It is a tactical move. Bind it to the same key as crouch and force a hold crouch action to go to prone that way you are forced to go through the crouch animation before going prone.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #889
McBane
Private

Originally Posted by commiedic View Post
Long topic is long, but here is my reason for having prone in the game and what the animation should be.

Prone is great for snipers and hiding yourself from vehicles. That is why it is so necessary in games like Battlefield. When you have a tank coming by or a helicopter flying overhead crouching just doesn't do the trick when behind cover. Snipers can utilize it to minimize how much of them can be seen. Since they are about getting in vantage points and taking strategic shots. It is a very useful mechanic and I believe it has a place in every FPS especially ones with high powered MAX suits and vehicles.

How should it work? Definitely not like CoD where you instantly faceplant the ground and can shoot while doing it. It should be a "slow" animation. I would like to see a prone animation implemented that goes through crouch first and then goes to prone, but while in animation you can't shoot, throw grenades, sprint, or reload. It is a tactical move. Bind it to the same key as crouch and force a hold crouch action to go to prone that way you are forced to go through the crouch animation before going prone.
Agreed. You mean more or less like below (or even slower as in Arma2).

Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Some demonstration material for disambiguation:

1. From stand into crouch into prone position

2. Dive into prone position and crawling

Old 2012-06-10, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #890
commiedic
Private

Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Agreed. You mean more or less like below (or even slower as in Arma2).
Well I would say that if it was going to go into development then start out with a more BF3 prone system and definitely keep the delay on shooting again while going into prone, but if that doesn't pan out with the majority of players then move to a more ArmA2 prone system which is a longer animation and delay on shooting than BF3.

A quick swan dive to prone would probably get shunned. Even though most games that have prone have that option. Like ArmA 2 / BF3. Not a huge fan of a quick dive to prone and since most of the community hates prone as it is I just say keep it simple with the slow tactical prone animation for now.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #891
Stardouser
Colonel

Comments removed - test this in beta -that's the only answer.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #892
The Kush
Captain

ive said it before and ill say it again

HELL NO WE DO NOT NEED PRONE
Old 2012-06-10, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #893
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Exclamation Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Prone, the main thing, what is prone? Why do people like/hate prone? What makes it balanced? What makes it op? Well my dear PS2 players all you VS are more of a friend then the other scum of the universe, but back to my point . Prone is in competitive shooting, the prone position is the position of a shooter lying face down on the ground. It is considered the easiest and most accurate position as the ground provides extra stability. It is the starting position in three positions events.
Prone is the best way to when sniping and closes up, to aim more accurate. The positive things about prone are that your accuracy increases, and you make your self a smaller target to other opponents. It is a way to hit the deck in open fielded positions and no trees and rocks are provided. It works in closed in areas as well, being able to hide behind things that would not be possible crouching or standing.
There are as well flaws to this technique that is used in the battle field. Moving around is painfully slow but yet effective if trying to get under the radar. Rotating around to check your 6's is also hard. Grenades also can kill some one prone because it would take to much time to get up, turn the other way of the explosive, and run far away from it before it explodes.
When prone is announced as a topic many things pop into a persons head, some more then others. Some think prone, bad! Campers, snipers, dolphin dive(my Favorite!), others think prone is good, more places to hide, harder for snipers to hit me, I can take cover!
Then if talking about a game, witch it is mostly about, the word "balance" comes in. If i add this will it be "balanced"? If I take this out will it be "balanced"? Now if the devs were to add prone for good, there would need to be balance for both the hardcore and casual players. In this prone stance, yes prone is able to be added to PS2 but what would have to happen to make it work? Well there would need to be some way to sooth players that they won't have evil, vial, not allowed CAMPERS!!! Because we all know camping is a noobs tactic, right ? with the love and hatred for this idea, it's like dark vs light, evil vs good, kind of scenario.
So we need to make it not to good for snipers, and not to evil for dolphin divers. First off, If faced with a camper indoors you have some options, 1 run in and kill him, 2 grenade, 3 go around and flank him. to stop some one from being op in this scenario there would have to be a 1-2 second time to stand, making it almost impossible to get away from the grenade. But to not make it op for the camper because they are allowed to camp, it is a liable tacit! They should be able to through the grenade back, press a button and it can go back. Now for out doors scenario, you should rarely be stopped and standing still, best time for snipers to kill you for being silly. This game is team based so have more then just Rambo on your side. You should have inferred so that you are able to see the sniper, there should be multiple ways to get to him and take him out with ease. For the guys on the ground, when the first shot goes off look around, find out were its coming from, to make the sniper not op (for some people) there should be tests on if matter to have the cloak on when prone, the whole reason for camping far, far away is so that they can't be killed by an assault rifle, they can't be seen and so that there cloak is most effective. The prone position should also stable the gun for more accuracy. Snipers should not be punished for doing this, as the team on the ground you should be able to asses the situation and kill the sniper by hiding, if in a open field, go prone to make the shot harder.

What do you people think about this statement and how it could be changed?
Old 2012-06-10, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #894
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
ive said it before and ill say it again

HELL NO WE DO NOT NEED PRONE
need better answer this this smarty, read my post i just did, it explains how prone could be implemented and how it would be balanced.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #895
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
What do you people think about this statement and how it could be changed?
Needs a TL;DR.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-06-10 at 09:37 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #896
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
Needs a TL;DR.
tl dr sorry means what...
Old 2012-06-10, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #897
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Rage rage! Die moar dead horse!

Lol glad to see most of the arguments are still the same from when I went to bed last night, haha. I still stand by my argument that the mechanic will be more or less forgotten entirely for favor of mobility and only a small percentage of players will actually make the best use of prone. Thus, I'm willing to see it appear in Beta, but then the dev's take a look and when less than 10% of players are ever using the mechanic at any given time, they may decide that it's just not worth investing more time and resources into.

Once again, not to say that it won't have its own tactical advantage, I just feel that they have done a superb job at filling the bases and landscape with more than adequate HEAPS of cover and in such a shifting battlefield with new rocks always coming in to break your old scissors that prone will be more or less dismissed as a combat strategy. Does that mean that no one will be using it? Heck no, I can say that even though I don't think prone will be necessary thus doesn't belong in PS2, I would still use it from time to time when the situation allows. I'm just saying that you have to actively be looking for a situation that allows you to prone, otherwise you're putting yourself into a rather high risk medium/low reward situation.

Anyone know how much glue a dead horse can make?
Old 2012-06-10, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #898
Resolve
Corporal

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
need better answer this this smarty, read my post i just did, it explains how prone could be implemented and how it would be balanced.
The poll answers the question if we need it or not. Plus, ps1 did just fine without it.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #899
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
The poll answers the question if we need it or not. Plus, ps1 did just fine without it.
It did FINE but it could do BETTER beta waiting time! haha also people can change opinions, if that was added were you could change at any time then what would it then look like?
Old 2012-06-10, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #900
McBane
Private

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
"Well CS does fine w/o vehicles and a maximum of 32 players. Why change that winning formula?"

That's right, this is a defeatist argument. By that, you will never have any kind of evolution or improvement because everything was so perfect 10 years ago.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion