Noob Tips for Flying - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Honey, I griefed the kids
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-08-31, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CB McNasty
Private

Noob Tips for Flying

Anyone want to give a vet some flying tips, because boy is it different from PS1.

Like can i still hover and turn 360 degrees. All i seem to be able to do is strafe left and right. I tried to gain speed and bank and just ended up running off the map. Its been a great start haha.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SeanNewBoy
Corporal

Re: Noob Tips for Flying

Request to Devs, please dont have the scythes aim off the continent at the warpgate, it makes it really hard for noobs like me to learn how to fly. Or at least make the out of bounds farther from the spawn.
Old 2012-08-31, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Pvt Badger
Corporal

Try flying a Galaxy first. Yes, it's slower but you can quickly learn how to pilot and be of use at the same time. First thing you do in a Galaxy at the gate is to land and load up. Find some action on the map, mark that location, fly there and land. Mount the top gunner's position and kill any hostile than gets too close.
Old 2012-09-04, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
PocketTank
Private

or just try and buy as many fightery yor timer and resourses last, and learn to fly step by step

first tray to learn how to hover
second how to land and more of hovering
next do some barrel rolls
and then find people and and die a lot
Old 2012-09-04, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
BloBBloB
Private

What i did was that I read the controls carefully, and that made me a better pilot than my friends :P

Otherwise, Practice makes perfect.
Old 2012-09-08, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DayOne
Captain

Use the minimap to land, and remember the arrow in the map is you, in the cockpit.

Flying is weird, just try flying about for a bit, you'll get it eventually. I don't even fly to attack, just to transport myself or others.

Also wait till you have flares unlocked. It's 100 certs, you need them. At least you can get those certs while on the ground*cough*BF3*cough*.
Old 2012-09-08, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

+1 on using the minimap to land especially with a Galaxy.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-09-08, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kipper
Captain

Also use 3rd person when landing, especially in the Galaxy.

They are prone to doing weird things if you don't get them on reasonable level terrain. The weirdness can vary, but the end result is always an explosion.
Old 2012-09-09, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yep! I 3rd person and mini map when I land.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-09-09, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sunrock
Major

I maybe would train on a Reaver or Skythe before jumping into a Mosquito if you play TR. I'm not really a good pilot but I can east least land and do a barrel roll. However I find the Skythe allot easier to handle then the Mosquito. The Mosquito is just too quick so you have spun around 180° just by taping the key for 0.01. Well that is an exaggeration but its not far from the truth. But compared to the other two attack planes it feels like that.
Old 2012-09-11, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
They are prone to doing weird things if you don't get them on reasonable level terrain. The weirdness can vary, but the end result is always an explosion.
huh. sounds almost like real flying

great tips. thanks
Old 2012-09-11, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sunrock
Major

What went wrong at 2:25? Flew in with too high speed? This is what happens in most air fights TBH. I go in for the attack. They detects me and then I'm dead.

Also when your target gets out of your field of view. Have anyone got any good tips what to do?

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-09-11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 2012-09-12, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_AjTFicldI
What went wrong at 2:25? Flew in with too high speed? This is what happens in most air fights TBH. I go in for the attack. They detects me and then I'm dead.
Also when your target gets out of your field of view. Have anyone got any good tips what to do?
I do Sunrock. Watching the vid the first thing wrong I saw was you engaged him in a turning match using forward throttle. This makes the craft do a large turn radius. Hit the reverse key, like your landing a galaxy, to slow while using vertical accelerator at full throttle. Either drop or climb while spinning either left or right. You will beat him in the turn because your inside his turn radius. Watching the video he is at full throttle and over shoots your cockpit. So, imagine an ice skater spinning and their partner is orbiting around them. In this strategy you are the ice skater and the attacker is elliptically orbiting you after the over shot. So basically, slow>spin>engage(fire shots on the target)>forward throttle in a chase>finish them = unhappy scythe or Reav.

Also, everyone says the mosi is faster and to use this in a dog fight(circling for position to line up guns). I say don't. Use it to engage quick or to fall-back quick. The 3 craft are all VTOL fighters, this is the secret to 1 v 1 in PS2. Feel free to research Harrier Jump Jets tactics which are very viable to this game.

Lastly, when you both passed one another he had the exact same situation as you. He had no idea when he turned where you will be, so regardless of the faction anything could have happened. He did the maneuver from the first paragraph, put shots on you and you had a small window of escape.
As a disclaimer: this may not work in all situations and there are many more strategies out there. If you don't have the space bar (vertical lift) & ctrl (Lower) bound to your xbox 360 game pad, do it as quickly as possible and fall in love with it. It will greatly increase what ever faction air vehicles life.

Let me know how it goes!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions