What is the best Vanu Sniper Rifle? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I know you didn't just refresh to see this quote....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-03-31, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HelpLuperza
Corporal

What is the best Vanu Sniper Rifle?

Hey guys,

I was going to try between the parallax and the nyx. I cannot decide which one to choose. What do you guys think is the best Vanu Sniper rifle in the game?

Last edited by HelpLuperza; 2013-03-31 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SternLX
Sergeant

Re: What is the best Vanu Sniper Rifle?

Parallax is the best in the Vanu line of Bolt action.
Old 2013-04-02, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

Jennyboo would agree

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-04-04, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Pep
Private

Great video. new to PS2 and trying out being an infil on vanu side. I learned a few tricks watching this that should help.. beside the fact I need a better gun than the noob pellet gun. Thanks
Old 2013-04-04, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

If your going to get it through certs instead of SC, drop 100 certs into the XM98. Its a dramatic improvement over the starting rifle and only 50 less dmg then the Parallax. You'll get kills (certs) faster then continuing with the default weapon.

Old 2013-04-04, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Grendel
Private

Haven't done the research on the Parallax yet--it does do the most damage on a bodyshot--but I'm very partial to the V10. It shoots flatter than the XM98, which is otherwise very comparable.

Honestly, they're all very similar. You should note that the Nyx is not technically a sniper rifle, it's much more similar to the Eidolon battle rifle than the sniper rifles. Still very useful, but not a sniper rifle.
Old 2013-04-04, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Flatter? Does the V10 have better velocity then the XM98?

Edit: Will have to take a look at the google docs, but the wiki stats are almost identical between the xm98 and v10 with a bar faster reload time with the XM98 and a dramatic difference in their cost.

Last edited by CraazyCanuck; 2013-04-04 at 10:04 AM.
Old 2013-04-04, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by HelpLuperza View Post
Hey guys,

I was going to try between the parallax and the nyx. I cannot decide which one to choose. What do you guys think is the best Vanu Sniper rifle in the game?
I prefer the Parallax as well. If I'm not sniping, but being aggressive and infiltrating, I do the Eradani SX5 (SMG).

Here's what to do and what not to do as a sniper.

Note, after I snipe, I usually cloak immediately and reload as well as move a bit to the right or left. It depends on if I think I'm spotted or not. If I'm spotted I go elsewhere and snipe.
Old 2013-04-04, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Pep
Private

Thanks for the advice. another good video too. I appreciate the help.
Do you guys use a suppressor on your sniper rifle?

Last edited by Pep; 2013-04-04 at 10:37 AM.
Old 2013-04-04, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Here's the google doc on weapons: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...SUVxLWc&gid=12

V10 has same damage, slightly slower short reload time, but is 50 m/s faster then the XM98 so it will be more accurate. You'll get more rounds/min with the XM98. Other stats are identical, so for the difference in cost, imo XM98 all the way (100certs to 1000). If your going to spend those kind of certs might as well do it on the Parrallax.

Now the Ghost is another low cert cost sniper rifle at 250 certs. It has an even faster reload time allowing 55 rpm over the XM98's 49 rpm but you sacrifice more bullet velocity 500 m/s compared to the 550 m/s of the XM98. I would prefer this weapon at medium range over the XM98.

I don't snipe much any more with my infiltrator. Instead you'll find me in amongst the enemy with my smg but that's my preferred playstyle. I run the XM98 for the occasional sniping with the Eridanni for most of infil playtime in combination with prox mines. Prox mines are your best buddy next to your weapon. Cert into it as soon as you can afford them, you won't regret it.

Last edited by CraazyCanuck; 2013-04-04 at 11:18 AM.
Old 2013-04-04, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

OK, just confirmed this in VR.

Beyond about 80 metres the Parallax does NOT kill on a headshot, due to the characteristic Vanu damage drop off over range.

Which would be nicely balanced if bullet drop for the other rifles became significant at or around 80 metres, but with the NC longshot you can put the crosshairs right on their nose at 160 metres and it'll register a headshot.

So the best answer to the original question, of "what's the best Vanu sniper rifle", would be "none of them".

A common pool NS Sniper rifle would be a nice addition to the depot, then.

Last edited by Juryrig; 2013-04-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 2013-04-04, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Cromation
Private

All I do is snipe and ive used parallax and v-10 and I have found the v-10 to actually be better than the parallax since gu4. After gu4 the parallax had a massive amount of bullet drop on it.
For the silencer I would never use it on a ling range rifle.
Old 2013-04-04, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Grendel
Private

Beyond about 80 metres the Parallax does NOT kill on a headshot, due to the characteristic Vanu damage drop off over range.
BS, you're either trolling or you just missed. I regularly score headshot kills with my V10 all the way out to infantry render range.

Just to check, I just went into VR, and was EASILY headshotting at 170+ meters with the Parallax.
Old 2013-04-04, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
BS, you're either trolling or you just missed. I regularly score headshot kills with my V10 all the way out to infantry render range.

Just to check, I just went into VR, and was EASILY headshotting at 170+ meters with the Parallax.
Hmm. I dropped a waypoint right by one of the targets, so I could measure range (ok, it's going to be within plus or minus a couple of metres). Then started hitting them with headshots, gradually increasing the range to find the point where they stopped dying.

It came out consistently around 80 metres. You get a clear indication that you've hit the headshot - with the circle around the hit indicator.

I then repeated the same thing with the Longshot with my NC alt. That killed at every range.

*shrugs* maybe it's me, maybe I'm just missing? If so, I'm managing to do so repeatedly, on one character only, and repeating the exact same set of steps with another character has a different result. So I'm missing as a Vanu but hitting (at twice the range) as an NC? Seems slightly unlikely.

I originally posted on this thread today when I was at work, after checking in VR last night. I then redacted it, assuming I must have been doing something wrong. I checked again, more thoroughly, when I got in-game this evening, before I reposted.

So, no, not trolling. For me at least there comes a point where the Parallax is not killing on a headshot. OR I'm managing to fool myself in the VR.

Last edited by Juryrig; 2013-04-04 at 05:35 PM.
Old 2013-04-04, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Merzun View Post
All bolt action rifles are the same. If your target doesn't die in VR then you didn't hit the head.

The waypoint is about 10m in front of target so the first shot is at about 110m. Second shot at about 130-140m and the last one at about 160 or even more.

http://youtu.be/SjOkHBfteVo
OK, looks like I'm just missing the headshots then. I'll try again....alternatively, just ignore me

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions