Leadership - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 4 out of 4 think PSU is great, the 5th guy was killed.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-15, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Re: Leadership

Leadership should also be about having trust in others. You shouldn't have to micromanage.

Delegate responsibilities.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
sigh...

My point was i said two different things,

1. was that if you want to run an organised military outfit, i understand why the kicking threat was neccessary, because you are trying to remove the time wasters, and that it was as far as PS1 went to enforcement.

And 2. that obviously sometimes those things are neccessary to get results, but at the end of the day people gravitate more towards people they like playing with, and once an outfit reaches a certain size, you lose your voice within it, and it stops being an internet social circle and becomes a way to bark orders.

So how does the game find its middle ground? I liked the feeling of being a soldier in a war bigger than myself and making an impact no matter how small, but other FPS's players want to be the hero. So how do you encourage a player base of John Rambo's to sit in a bunker and shut up? I will be interested to see how much the mission system works, i assume it will take a few weeks/months for people to figure out their not in Kansas anymore....

Oz, where you get Magrindered into paste.
If you need enforcement other than success to motivate your people to follow simple instructions you're probably not a good leader.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Aurmanite
Captain

One of the saddest (and most hilarious) truths about leadership in these games, involves the people taking a video game so seriously that they have convinced themselves there is a 'right way to play', and have contempt for those who don't play their way. It's like these people have given up on their relationship with reality and decided that how one plays a video game is really important. Video games are so serious after all.

Video game leadership isn't all that much different than real life leadership. The hardest part is convincing people that they should do what you want them to. Thinking about it too hard, or praising your own abilities to do it is mostly a waste of your energy. Your human brain is capable of greater things.

If you belong to the hardcore play my way or else crowd, I'm embarrassed for you, and you have my pity.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by BuzzCutPsycho View Post
If you need enforcement other than success to motivate your people to follow simple instructions you're probably not a good leader.
So your enforcement for getting people to follow your orders for an hour, is the promise of success that you may or may not be able to give them?

What came first the chicken or the egg, or the guy who said "lets make a chickeny eggy type of thing?"
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

So your enforcement for getting people to follow your orders for an hour, is the promise of success that you may or may not be able to give them?
Yes. I've known nothing but success with my outfit in PS1 and Guild in WoW. I never had to "bribe" our membership just to get them to follow simple instructions which most often than not would result in victory.

What came first the chicken or the egg, or the guy who said "lets make a chickeny eggy type of thing?"
Wow! Your jokes are just as bad as they are in the "comics" you draw. At least you show consistency,

One of the saddest (and most hilarious) truths about leadership in these games, involves the people taking a video game so seriously that they have convinced themselves there is a 'right way to play', and have contempt for those who don't play their way. It's like these people have given up on their relationship with reality and decided that how one plays a video game is really important. Video games are so serious after all.
There is an example of what a bad player would say.

If you belong to the hardcore play my way or else crowd, I'm embarrassed for you, and you have my pity.
Typical response of a bad player who gets beat by the "hardcore" good player.

Anyway back on subject here this is the bottom line. A good leader doesn't need a bribery system to get his outfit to follow his directions. A good leader only needs the tools to make getting said directions accomplished. An example of tools would be platoons, waypoints, etc.

Last edited by BuzzCutPsycho; 2012-04-15 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Vancha
Colonel

I'm actually curious about this. I'd love to be able to witness the first time people like Buzz or SgtMAD tried to lead, to see whether they were slightly more reserved or had their current attitude from the get-go.

I mean, I'd ask them directly to recount the experience, but obviously their first attempt went flawlessly and they discovered godhood.

(No, but seriously, I'd be interested to hear the accounts of "first leadership attempts" from any outfit leaders here).
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-15, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Leadership and organization bring success. It can bring success even with "less-skilled" or novice players provided they have discipline.

Planetside culture evolved into the small leetfits that were sometimes not even half a squad. The prospect of "less skilled" players coming in and beating such groups with organization and discipline is highly threatening to that culture.

When the larger and organized groups come in they render the small groups irrelevant. Naturally they lash out at them

Leadership is a skill.
Discipline is a skill.
Organization is a skill.

They just aren't the skills you might value, but they get results and they make a difference. Larger outfits know this. So do smaller outfits, though they loathe to admit it because it threatens their recruitment and reputation.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-04-15 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Aurmanite
Captain

Yes. I've known nothing but success with my outfit in PS1 and Guild in WoW. I never had to "bribe" our membership just to get them to follow simple instructions which most often than not would result in victory.
Self gratification. I'm happy for you though, everyone needs to feel good about themselves now and then. Your video game success must impress...someone out there.

Wow! Your jokes are just as bad as they are in the "comics" you draw. At least you show consistency,
This is something a bad human being would say.

There is an example of what a bad player would say.
This is another example of what a bad human being would say.

Typical response of a bad player who gets beat by the "hardcore" good player.
Typical response from a bad human being that's embarrassed by its reliance on video game awesomery to justify its existence.

Anyway back on subject here this is the bottom line. A good leader doesn't need a bribery system to get his outfit to follow his directions. A good leader only needs the tools to make getting said directions accomplished. An example of tools would be platoons, waypoints, etc.
This is absolutely true. The mission system has the potential to be an excellent tool for leaders to utilize. People will follow leaders that set the most rewarding and achievable missions, which are the ones smart leaders will be setting.

Last edited by Aurmanite; 2012-04-15 at 04:10 PM.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I mean, I'd ask them directly to recount the experience, but obviously their first attempt went flawlessly and they discovered godhood.
I had a simple plan which worked and gradually improved upon it from there. I couldn't possibly expect a plebeian like you to understand.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Self gratification. I'm happy for you though, everyone needs to feel good about themselves now and then. Your video game success must impress...someone out there
It impressed your mom last night.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Aurmanite
Captain

It impressed your mom last night.
She's my bottom bitch.

Wait, don't tell me. You were so good she gave the money back, right?

Also, good work on the mom joke. Keepin it simple so a plebeian like me can understand.

Last edited by Aurmanite; 2012-04-15 at 04:21 PM.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Buzz, your little man syndrome is really working against your credibility as any kind of leader.
Old 2012-04-15, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Also, good work on the mom joke. Something simple a plebeian like me can understand.
Part of being a good leader is knowing how to effectively communicate with people from all walks of life.

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
Buzz, your little man syndrome is really working against your credibility as any kind of leader.
Who are you?
Old 2012-04-15, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Vancha
Colonel

I had a simple plan which worked and gradually improved upon it from there. I couldn't possibly expect a plebeian like you to understand.
Of course you couldn't, but won't you humour me, oh great patrician!?
Old 2012-04-15, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Part of being a good leader is knowing how to effectively communicate with people from all walks of life.
Well I guess that makes sense if you redefined 'effective' to mean "prop up your own ego", lol.

Who are you?
Someone not buying your koolaid!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion