Deployed Galaxy Spawning - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: if God was a geek this would be his church.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-11, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Tachyr
Private

Re: Deployed Galaxy Spawning

Main problem with having to man the turrets to defend the galaxy is that if there is no air activity gunners will get bored and move out.
All that is needed is a cloaker spotting when this happens and call in air cav to take it out.

I still argue that the Galaxy as a fat mans AMS is a bad decision and either go with the DSU idea or implement the old AMS cloaked concept.

It's a loose loose situation. If the Galaxy is to easy to kill the pilots will be frustrated and less prone to pull new ones.
If the deployed galaxies are to hard to kill then the defending force will cry foul as it is easy to swamp an area with Galaxies and deploy them.

Cloaking adds a much better tactical option and much easier to balance. That is why the original AMS idea worked so well in PS.
Old 2012-04-12, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
atomos
Private

Why can't they just give the galaxy a cloak when it's deployed like the old AMS? Make it part of the vehicle utility slot and disable the turrets when the cloak is enabled.
Old 2012-04-12, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Last edited by StumpyTheOzzie; 2012-04-12 at 08:15 AM. Reason: I retract my statement
Old 2012-04-12, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by atomos View Post
Why can't they just give the galaxy a cloak when it's deployed like the old AMS? Make it part of the vehicle utility slot and disable the turrets when the cloak is enabled.
Maybe even make it so that the Galaxy can't even have guns when there is a cloak module on board, even while in flight. It would still have to deploy to activate the cloak bubble, but it would be far more vulnerable in transit, balancing it's greater survivability.
Old 2012-04-14, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Retrograde
Private

Just throw MOAR GALS! at the problem.
Well, from the original, loading a gal was a pain. Had to be done at certain bases (if i remember right). Flys really slow and no one wants to defend you on that run.

In the new one, there's a spawn timer on it, so even less incentive to goof off with one.

That's my only point. One big issue when attacking was convincing someone to go and drive an AMS all the way to the front line. If some random enemy saw you, you were done. Can you imagine all that work getting the galaxy, the resource cost, and then seeing it get blown up within seconds of landing?

Main problem with having to man the turrets to defend the galaxy is that if there is no air activity gunners will get bored and move out.
Exactly. No one will hang around to even fix it after it lands, much less sit and wait while everyone else is having fun.

At this point, I'll take having a fixed spawn that it can hot drop near the front line.

Last edited by Retrograde; 2012-04-14 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
Old 2012-04-14, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Exactly. No one will hang around to even fix it after it lands, much less sit and wait while everyone else is having fun.
You say that as though the only direction you can get attacked from is the enemy base. The enemies there are going to be tied up fighting your capture force. It's more likely the gal will be targeted by enemies from other bases trying to flank/relieve pressure.

...or the 3rd faction.
Old 2012-04-14, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
You say that as though the only direction you can get attacked from is the enemy base. The enemies there are going to be tied up fighting your capture force. It's more likely the gal will be targeted by enemies from other bases trying to flank/relieve pressure.

...or the 3rd faction.
...or the 4th.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-14, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
ReallyBigSky
Private

A flying fortress that would survive during 15 minutes on its own without repairs against sustained fire from 10 aircrafts who would all die due to the flying fortress' extremely threatening weapons.

A flying fortress that has landed in front of an enemy base.
There are aircrafts circling around it, trying to cause as much damage as they can while knowing that they will die long before they run out of munitions.
Tanks are doing the same, but they're getting shot by weapons that look a whole lot meaner than what the air sissies have to deal with.
Some foot soldiers manage to deal some damage to the structure before they die but they know it merely slows the engineers' work.

A heavy fortress that costs heavy resources, wields heavy weapons and is protected by the most impressive armor plating you have ever seen. It reminds you of 15 Prowlers from PS1 all put together within the same structure. With AA guns. And spawn tubes.

Now can you tell me why the FUCK you would want to put an invisibility bubble on THAT?

Stop thinking that the galaxy will just be a fat AMS.
Think BEYOND PS1.

Why are you all on this forum if you're all worried that the developers might be a bunch of brainless zombie morsels who don't know what they are doing?

Old 2012-04-15, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

Those concerned about the lack of stealth spawning. Drop from a galaxy and use leader spawn. The leader can easily hang back/stay cloaked to provide spawning for his/her squadmates.
Old 2012-04-17, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Ok I know this isnt probably the place for this post but here it is. I know at this moment there wont be any vehicle entry animations, but the galaxy is huge and I think it would be cool if the back opened up and you could walk in and have a seat.

This is how I imagine a airborne drop going. At the base you and your company load up into the back of a galaxy, no windows, and the ramp goes up. Inside the galaxy you get a sense of flight, the way it moves and sways. Shortly you here the WUMP of anti air guns going off around you, the pilot says over the vox channel "drop in thirty seconds" outside the hail of anti air is pelting the airplane as the galaxy shakes and shudders under the incoming fire and you still cant see anything. The rear door goes down and you line up to do the drop and you get your first view of the battlefield, a riot of explosions and tracer rounds. This is what I want when I jump out of a galaxy into a hostile drop zone.
Old 2012-04-17, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Vectorian
Private

Why can't they have the AMS and the Gal deployment method I think they are missing a very important aspect when there is no cloaking spawn unit. They should have both in the game imo. That way ppl with gals can still make spawns if they want but I have a feeling that those will easily get spotted by the many enemy aircraft flying around. So having AMS as backup is going to be a vital strategy if they were in the game even though Gals will be easier to get into position. An AMS will allow more random spawn locations. I always liked those fights that happened out in the open in PS1 didn't happen to often though cause not enough random spawns. Most of the time it would be super close to a base. Gals alone I don't think are going to do it they are going to be priority targets for aircraft.

Last edited by Vectorian; 2012-04-17 at 11:34 PM.
Old 2012-04-18, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by Vectorian View Post
I have a feeling that those will easily get spotted by the many enemy aircraft flying around.
Let's hope so.... and I say that as someone who looks forward to flying the Galaxy as well as the other aircraft!

Easily spotted doesn't mean easily destroyed. From what we know it will take a fair sized co-ordinated attack to take out a Galaxy with its deployed defences, not to mention friendly troops will be pouring out of it and friendly air units will also be protecting it.

It just sits there on the ground outside your base saying "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!". I like it.

An AMS will allow more random spawn locations. I always liked those fights that happened out in the open in PS1 didn't happen to often though cause not enough random spawns.
Ugh, a thousand times no. People appearing from random locations you can't detect is super annoying. That's why you have clearly defined spawn points, so you know that if you can take/surround/deactivate them your chances of being shot in the back from a place you thought was under friendly control are lessened.

Moveable spawns are important, but stealth ones not so much. Imagine you're defending a location, its a pretty heavy onslaught - you can't go out, because if you try, the enemy will get in. How does the enemy unlock your defences? Sending more vehicles maybe, hacking a door, doing an air drop - something to shake it up and break the stalemate. But how do you unlock the enemies offensive? If you can't see where they're spawning, not easily. If you can, you can also call in air support or vehicles to attack their spawns and force them back. Its more tactical.

Most of the time it would be super close to a base. Gals alone I don't think are going to do it they are going to be priority targets for aircraft.
Planetside 2 is "Epic battles on a massive scale."
It is not "Epic games of virtual hide and seek on a massive scale".
Old 2012-04-18, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Galaxy as an AMS is about as sensible as putting the spawn tubes in the middle of a field with giant arrows next to it.

Galaxy's where the first target any time they entered any air space. Its not hard to hit a flying barn, even less hard to see one...over there.

I have no idea why the AMs was removed. If they feel it was "boring" (debatable) then it should be improved. Not removed.
Equipping the Galaxy with four flak guns that remain deployed when it is being used as an AMS would be desirable. I doubt the pilotophiles would like it, but not being able to rape a spawn point is bound to ruin the game for someone.

While making it much better for most.
Old 2012-04-18, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
HellsPanda
Corporal

I look forward to parking an anti air galaxy with spawn tubes on top of a base roof.
Old 2012-04-18, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by HellsPanda View Post
I look forward to parking an anti air galaxy with spawn tubes on top of a base roof.
I look forward to shooting it from underneath with rockets and tanks
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion