News: UES Interview with Matt Higby - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shalashashka!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-01-29, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin
 
Hamma's Avatar
 
UES Interview with Matt Higby


http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...higby-2943.htm


Last edited by Hamma; 2013-01-29 at 01:08 PM.
Hamma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


VS get the jelly legs animation? we can only hope!
I'm sure teh TR and NC would vote highly for that.

Rendering, cant wait til they do something with that.
I think that and the flashing screen of eye aids are my biggest issues.

Those top reinforcement options for deployment will work better after some of those XP rules and defensive mods to towers etc are in after the patch.


Thanks for taking the time to do the interview Hamma & Higby.


(PS2 webdevs, Briggs needs API data pushed out to PSU thx!)
DirtyBird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant
 
ShadetheDruid's Avatar
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
VS get the jelly legs animation?
Next up on the list of complaints: "VS are OP because they get the crazy legs animation."
__________________
ShadetheDruid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


About the running animation, I wonder if he read my comment that the VS had to mince!

However...... I think the DEVS should seriously manage some expectations about the tunnels.

If people get what they are apparently going to get and that's it, they'll go ape.

People are expecting and hoping for an underground infantry area that can be fought in not a defending empire only passageway.

If that is simply a first pass before they're done properly then please say so before the mob gather their pitchforks and burning brands and match on SOE Towers!

Say, you're going to do right right with a later iteration. Please.


Second point. Matt talked about changing psychology of spawn camping by removing the xp award. This won't work, for one thing people are still rewarded by getting a kill that pads your stats. Even if you follow PS1's example and have 'qualifying kills' it still won't work because it didn't in ps1.

Which is not to say that dynamic XP is not a good idea, because it is and it's not to say that spawn camping is a bad idea because it isn't for gameplay reasons.
__________________

Last edited by ringring; 2013-01-29 at 01:40 PM.
ringring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant
 
Phantomdestiny's Avatar
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Originally Posted by ringring View Post
About the running animation, I wonder if he read my comment that the VS had to mince!

However...... I think the DEVS should seriously manage some expectations about the tunnels.

If people get what they are apparently going to get and that's it, they'll go ape.

People are expecting and hoping for an underground infantry area that can be fought in not a defending empire only passageway.

If that is simply a first pass before they're done properly then please say so before the mob gather their pitchforks and burning brands and match on SOE Towers!

Say, you're going to do right right with a later iteration. Please.


Second point. Matt talked about changing psychology of spawn camping by removing the xp award. This won't work, for one thing people are still rewarded by getting a kill that pads your stats. Even if you follow PS1's example and have 'qualifying kills' it still won't work because it didn't in ps1.

Which is not to say that dynamic XP is not a good idea, because it is and it's not to say that spawn camping is a bad idea because it isn't for gameplay reasons.
from what i understood right now tunnels are here to help people defend the base by using them as fast travel/defending positions. However i also understood that if the concept goes well then maybe underground/tunnels areas for the attacker can be implemented : think the tunnels entries under the amp station in esamir but bigger .
__________________
Phantomdestiny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rockit
Banned
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


I am going to bite my tongue about these "fluff" animations but just barely. So vehicle entry/exit animations were considered unnecessary but empire specific run animations aren't?
Rockit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant
 
SturmovikDrakon's Avatar
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
I am going to bite my tongue about these "fluff" animations but just barely. So vehicle entry/exit animations were considered unnecessary but empire specific run animations aren't?
the former slows down gameplay. the latter would help with target identification.

I disagree with that though. Could have gone the Halo way, where you can already control the vehicle while you're getting in
__________________

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2013-01-29 at 02:35 PM.
SturmovikDrakon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rockit
Banned
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Originally Posted by SturmovikDrakon View Post
the former slows down gameplay. the latter would help with target identification.

I disagree with that though. Could have gone the Halo way, where you can already control the vehicle while you're getting in
Well I believe Matt's view was that these run animations add a level of immersion. Ah whatever, do what they want to do. My 16K SC ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
Rockit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Originally Posted by SturmovikDrakon View Post
the former slows down gameplay. the latter would help with target identification.

I disagree with that though. Could have gone the Halo way, where you can already control the vehicle while you're getting in
What a bullshit.
Mox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
I am going to bite my tongue about these "fluff" animations but just barely. So vehicle entry/exit animations were considered unnecessary but empire specific run animations aren't?
haha this is true.
Seeing as the animators have time on their hands for some fluff, perhaps those vehicle entry/exit animations might get another look in.

Running animations wont do much until the rendering is fixed anyway.
If you cant see them from across the road it wont matter what animation they have
DirtyBird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin
 
Hamma's Avatar
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


He said enter/exit animations. Get him!
__________________

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Hamma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rockit
Banned
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
He said enter/exit animations. Get him!
Yeah well you'll really love me when I say they might need to consider some form of 3rd person infantry. I never thought I would say it but I miss the hell out of that from PS1. It was reinforcing to see my char progression (and now you can throw in the run animations) as part of my personal immersion and ownership of my char.
Rockit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tatwi
Contributor
Major
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Needed more Adrienne and less Higby's hair, but otherwise a good video. That could be my weather worn scalp talk out of jealousy though. Who knows. Still would like to know if Infiltrators will ever get gear that is not a skin suit, but that's me, always focusing on the big picture, the serious issues.

Glad you and Jenny had fun.
__________________
Tatwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-29, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Animations are only a part (and not even the hard part) of doing vehicle entrance/exit animations. We'd have to literally redo the art for all of the vehicle models, attachments and textures to support it, repacking and atlasing the texture sheets,etc. It would take a couple months of dedicated work from a few different people to do. The limitation is not really about animator time, run animations are 100% animator time.
Higby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant
 
SturmovikDrakon's Avatar
 
Re: UES Interview with Matt Higby


Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Animations are only a part (and not even the hard part) of doing vehicle entrance/exit animations. We'd have to literally redo the art for all of the vehicle models, attachments and textures to support it, repacking and atlasing the texture sheets,etc. It would take a couple months of dedicated work from a few different people to do. The limitation is not really about animator time, run animations are 100% animator time.
Thanks for answering!

But it makes me wonder why the art team decided to go in this direction in the first place, not future proofing at least. It's just one of those immersion factors that is sadly missing.

I didn't see any noticeable hatch on the Prowler or the Magrider either, how do the drivers get in there anyway? :P
__________________
SturmovikDrakon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.