Hearing Silent feet? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May cause damage if directly exposed to retina
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-16, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Re: Hearing Silent feet?

Originally Posted by Koosalagoosagoo View Post
I cant tell you how much hearing peoples feet helps on battlefield 3 when I am on the second floor of a building.
Well i hope that you can hear them when there sneaking up behind you.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

They had a very good sound system in WWII online. You could tell what tank was coming toward you from the sound of its engine and transmission. Yes,even the transmission in all the tanks sounded different and the main gun and mg's on tanks all had sounds modeled after thier real world counter parts.

Made it very easy to id friend or foe once you got use to the different sounds. I got so good that I could ID a Tiger or PZIV from 1 Kilometer out and set up an ambush. Good times. Hope they are that detailed in PS2.
Old 2012-06-16, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by jepaul View Post
Good point.
Thanks I hope that the game will be better the more the forums progresses and the devs look at us (some of us) as smart and will add some of us to the PS game and not just the leaders.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-21, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rodney Gates
PlanetSide 2
Audio Director

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
I have had issues with games with not hearing people coming up behind me. Like in COD you can barely hear people vs combat ares which you can hear them from one side of the map to the other. Could the devs add something in between that or is it going to be leaning into one or the other. There should not be Silent Running unless your floating over the air as you walk. People are going to hear you there is no way to mask it.
There will definitely be footsteps, jumping, landing etc. They're quieter when you crouch, and all that. Since we're still developing the game, sometimes they break, sometimes they work, but rest assured they will exist. :-)

- Rodney
Old 2012-07-21, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

What about major base fights? Wouldn't you just go deaf from listening to 300 pairs of feet on top of 300 different guns/grenades/vehicles/aircraft/orbital strikes.

Even in planetside, a 1 on 1 or squad vs squad fight was pretty rare. Now you've got the same area to fight in but with 2000 people instead of 600.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
Even in planetside, a 1 on 1 or squad vs squad fight was pretty rare.
Strongly dependent on how you played, I was involved in 1 v 1 and squad v squad fights very often.

OT - No music or ambiance, just sound effects is the way to play
Old 2012-07-21, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
DarkChiron
First Sergeant

If you can hear me walking around as an Infiltrator with the perfect cloak without special implants I'm going to be thoroughly pissed.

Last edited by DarkChiron; 2012-07-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rodney Gates View Post
There will definitely be footsteps, jumping, landing etc. They're quieter when you crouch, and all that. Since we're still developing the game, sometimes they break, sometimes they work, but rest assured they will exist. :-)

- Rodney
Yay

*kiss*
Old 2012-07-21, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Slide Surveyor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Dairian View Post
I loved how PS1 did it. If you had audio amp you could hear there footsteps better and see them on the map. And if you had silent run the enemy couldn't hear you at all.

This is why I play with NO music. LOL

Sound was everything in PS1.
But the music in PS2 is good!
Old 2012-07-21, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

as an infiltrator in a base or tower and i would think im alone then i would hear a sound that would later turn out to be another infiltrator. but it was usually the hacking or a drop/jump that i would first notice not someone running or anything.
i do not recall hearing everything, just what i needed to.

in PS2 the bases and everything are going to be much larger as well so how far sound travels will change or not. either case it will be different.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
What about major base fights? Wouldn't you just go deaf from listening to 300 pairs of feet on top of 300 different guns/grenades/vehicles/aircraft/orbital strikes.

Even in planetside, a 1 on 1 or squad vs squad fight was pretty rare. Now you've got the same area to fight in but with 2000 people instead of 600.
Like DXB I got into 1on1 and squad-level fights all the time in PS1. It all depends on your tactics and where you choose to fight.

That said, there is no doubt a pre-defined limit to the number of simultaneous sound stream Forgelight will send to you, just like there's a limit on how many simultaneous sounds streams your sound card can play at once. So you won't be hearing 300 pairs of feet running around even if there are 300 people nearby.

Originally Posted by DarkChiron View Post
If you can hear me walking around as an Infiltrator with the perfect cloak without special implants I'm going to be thoroughly pissed.
Then prepare yourself to be angry. The infil cloak suit is a very powerful tool even without sound suppression and should not be a free pass to be undetectable to both of the only 2 senses we have in the game. If you want to move silently, you crouch-walk, you buy the Sensor Shield (or PS2 equivalent) implant, or you pick and choose when you move so your sound is masked or goes unnoticed. It's what separates a good cloaker from just a grunt in a invisibility suit.

You'd be surprised at the number of things you can get away with stomping around the battlefield while mostly invisible. In PS1 I've hacked AMSes, resecured CC's, etc right under the noses of enemy troops, and I've never used SS as a cloaker.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-07-21 at 01:30 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
DarkChiron
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Then prepare yourself to be angry. The infil cloak suit is a very powerful tool even without sound suppression and should not be a free pass to be undetectable to both of the only 2 senses we have in the game. If you want to move silently, you crouch-walk, you buy the Sensor Shield (or PS2 equivalent) implant, or you pick and choose when you move so your sound is masked or goes unnoticed. It's what separates a good cloaker from just a grunt in a invisibility suit.
By 'perfect cloak' I meant 'I have all the shit to be not detected'. With all the options available already to be able to find cloaked Infiltrators (motion sensors, thermal imaging), if any jackass, no matter his load out, can hear me walking around that's ridiculous.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

@DarkChiron

Unless you are running around in padded magical socks that somehow don't make noise, people NOT being able to hear you, regardless of your visibility, is ridiculous.
Old 2012-07-21, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SFJake
Sergeant

^^

I think sacrificing a bit on the cloak to completely remove the natural sound effect you make (from running, etc) would be a fair trade.

But you can't expect to be both completely invisible and inaudible.
Old 2012-07-21, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
DarkChiron
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
@DarkChiron

Unless you are running around in padded magical socks that somehow don't make noise, people NOT being able to hear you, regardless of your visibility, is ridiculous.
Optical stealth, acceptable.
Soft shoes, magic.

K then.

I don't want to be able to full out sprint silently. Or to be quiet without special implants/certs that sacrifice other things. I just want the option to not be plodding around like a HA when I'm supposed to be playing a sneaky class.

Last edited by DarkChiron; 2012-07-21 at 04:54 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion