Gameplay: New ES Shotguns - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: bite my shiny metal ass.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-08-19, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
TommyZakh
Private

New ES Shotguns

In my opinion, all current shotguns actually classified as shotguns in PS2 (i.e. not the Jackhammer) are all generic and identical for all factions. So, being extra careful to not upset balance across factions, here are my ideas for 3 new weapons added to the game.

All cost 1000 Certs, 700 SC.

Terran Republic

TS6 Raider

Description: "The seemingly endless shell capacity of the Raider has not only saved numerous Terran lives, but has also taken hundreds of enemy ones."

Pretty self explanatory, a shotgun with a 24-shell drum.

Stats:
ROF: 215 RPM
Pellet Damage: 135@8m / 45@18m
Pellet Count: 5
Muzzle Velocity: 295m/s
Reload: 3.5s short / 5.2s long
Magazine Size: 24
Reserve: 48

Same as the Haymaker for all stats not mentioned, except its accuracy is slightly worse all around.

Interesting aspect: It has semi-auto and 2 round burst.

New Conglomerate

LA44 Anvil

Description: "The double barreled Anvil's reputation for reliable one-shot kills is credited to its high pellet count, good cone of fire, and impressive pellet damage."

As if the Bruiser wasn't heavy enough...

Stats:
ROF: 60 RPM
Pellet Damage: 250@6m / 184@20m
Pellet Count: 8
Muzzle Velocity: 280m/s
Reload: 3.4s short / 3.6s long (yes it is a clip weapon)
Magazine Size: 2
Reserve: 34
Accuracy: Same as Claw
Recoil: 10 degrees up (wow!)

Interesting Aspect: To balance this shotgun's incredible damage at longer ranges, it has a .15 second firing delay similar to the Railjack. All in all, with this shotgun, you'll have to get used to firing before your target enters the normal effective range of other shotguns.

Vanu Sovereignty

Twilight VX-5 SGV

Description: "Following the success of the Zenith, VX Labs developed a shotgun variant for closer quarters that retained the carbine's traits of high rate of fire and tight spread."

The Vanu's answer to the Jackhammer.

Stats:
ROF: 436 RPM
Pellet Damage: 44@10m / 22@25m
Pellet Count: 11
Muzzle Velocity: 350m/s
Reload: 2.9s short / 3.4s long
Magazine Size: 14
Reserve: 70
Accuracy: Similar to Jackhammer, but slightly more accurate.
Recoil: 0.1 degrees up, +- 0.3 degrees horiz.

Interesting aspect: It's slugs are not affected by gravity and its full-auto.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by TommyZakh; 2014-08-20 at 10:03 PM.
Old 2014-08-22, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
TommyZakh
Private

Re: New ES Shotguns

After talking with some friends, they said that the Anvil is overpowered. Im not sure if I agree, but it would be nice to have a discussion regarding it and the others when it comes to balance.
Old 2014-08-23, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Game needs less shotgun type weapons, not more.
Old 2014-09-01, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
TommyZakh
Private

I disagree, they are really boring and identical across all factions. Even the NS shotgun is boring.

My point is, if SOE is already making money grabs by introducing (for the most part) pointless guns noone asked for, then they might as well add meaningful ones. Considering I put quite a bit of thought into these, it would be awesome if SOE realized these in game.

Also, what do you mean "less shotgun types"? That makes no sense. Which ones would get removed? You have stock ones, full-auto ones, high capacity ones, and two kinds of pumps. They all fill roles and are necessary.

Last edited by TommyZakh; 2014-09-01 at 02:01 AM.
Old 2014-09-01, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Also, what do you mean "less shotgun types"? That makes no sense. Which ones would get removed? You have stock ones, full-auto ones, high capacity ones, and two kinds of pumps. They all fill roles and are necessary.
This other poster answered you pretty well I'd say:

Originally Posted by TommyZakh View Post
I disagree, they are really boring and identical across all factions. Even the NS shotgun is boring.
Frankly though, there are too many weapons as it is. They needed to go the AR-15 route and simply let us mod the way we want the gun to perform.
Old 2014-09-07, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
TommyZakh
Private

I meant if you compare the faction equivalents of each shotgun, they are very similar. Each individual shotgun class is different enough.

While I was always a fan of having separate weapons rather than attachments, I can see your point. The problem is, when a game has less weapons, SOE makes way less money. Thats probably the only reason most guns in the game dont get extended clip or overclocking or cool ammunition types.
Old 2014-09-08, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

There are plenty of ways to cash shop the shit out of it, one way is the way they do now by letting you SCheat getting the attachments. People will pay dumb amounts of money for tacticool weapons.

Allowing more attachments would be a good start, hell even just making the system more sensible would be a huge step forward. Extended Mags as a rail upgrade? Seriously? They should be under Ammo if anything.
Old 2014-09-14, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TommyZakh
Private

Lol SCheat, never heard that one before. I completely agree with everything you said. What I meant by "Im not a big fan of attachments" I meant when a game has a lot of guns, attachments would really blur the distinctions too much.

The lack of inspiration and creativity in PS2 gun design really makes it so 5 guns per gun class is already too much, which is frankly quite sad. I would love to see more cool and functional optics, more underbarrels, more interesting ammo types, and less guns like the Terminus that no-one asked for.

Seriously, look at the Ursa. Yet another long range LMG for the VS, rather than a close quarters one, which VS only have one of at the moment. Plain stupid. How about a relatively original damage model like 143 damage down to 134 for long range guns? Why don't these exist!?

The Corvus, for example, can have normal full auto, lowered rate of fire full auto, 3-round burst, 2-round burst, and a charge up mode.

So many missed opportunities for cool stuff in PS2.
Old 2014-09-14, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
TommyZakh
Private

To add on, if the Reaper could get Extended Clip and an option to lower rate of fire, then the AlbaTross could be removed. Yay!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault