Since EVERYONE has a new weapon... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Curiosity didn't kill the cat. I did. And guess whos next..
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-08, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Yeah, a flashbang would need to affect both as it is a crippling device. Otherwise, just have a guy running around spamming these things and you'd walk in nearly unopposed.

Thinking on it more, the Rifle Jammer may be a thing of simple beauty for assault forces. It'd work for both assaults and defense really (have a cloaker chuck one at a back door as it opens....watch assault falter). It doesn't damage, it doesn't keep them from fighting, they just have to use their pistols or, failing that, knives.

It *only* affects the rifle slots (slots 2 and 4 by default). Maybe 5 seconds though? 10 seems a bit long in a firefight.

It definately would need to be it's own grenade though, and not an addition for the Jammer, otherwise they become too powerful. Hand thrown version only (no Thumper/Punisher rounds). Maybe keep them at 1 per item (rarer grenade, not as readily available). Special Assault cert perhaps (to keep things from being insanely common).

Thoughts?
Old 2004-03-08, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Krinsath
Yeah, a flashbang would need to affect both as it is a crippling device. Otherwise, just have a guy running around spamming these things and you'd walk in nearly unopposed.

Thinking on it more, the Rifle Jammer may be a thing of simple beauty for assault forces. It'd work for both assaults and defense really (have a cloaker chuck one at a back door as it opens....watch assault falter). It doesn't damage, it doesn't keep them from fighting, they just have to use their pistols or, failing that, knives.

It *only* affects the rifle slots (slots 2 and 4 by default). Maybe 5 seconds though? 10 seems a bit long in a firefight.

It definately would need to be it's own grenade though, and not an addition for the Jammer, otherwise they become too powerful. Hand thrown version only (no Thumper/Punisher rounds). Maybe keep them at 1 per item (rarer grenade, not as readily available). Special Assault cert perhaps (to keep things from being insanely common).

Thoughts?
That sounds real good.

I agree on all those points.

Old 2004-03-08, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I have a solution:

Make it like the Lasher so it doesn't damage friendlies who are in the vicinity.
Old 2004-03-08, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Problem with flashbangs is that they *have* to effect both sides. If it doesn't affect them both, then it because a game breaker because effectively, it's going to turn the screen all white and make it so you can't see.

If you can't see, then you become easy pickings. If it doesn't affect friendlies you just need a guy in your squad with an inventory full of these and just keep chucking them as you move forward. Becomes an unfair advantage.

The Rifle Jammer not effecting friendlies isn't such an overpowering thing, as the enemy still has a chance to fight back, just not at full ability. The flashbang effectively makes it so there's no chance of real resistance at all.

I'm liking this Rifle Jammer the longer I think about it. With the constraints proposed it's a very useful addition, but not one that will be so common as to be overpowering. Makes it a real choice between AV and SA for those troopers who don't have everything. Sure, you can take down MAXes with AV, but the Rifle Jammer makes it easier to fight Surgiles and other infantry, which are much more common.
Old 2004-03-08, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

To fight surgiles, you get rexo and a good rifle, and a Jammer grenade. Jammers make them slow and rexo means you have more than they do.

Your flashbang shouldn't be a complicated deal and I don't think you need a so-called Rifle Jammer. Weapons are not "temporarily shut down" on modern battlefields unless some retard uses a nuclear weapon. Even then, simple mechanics function. Meaning my Cycler better not be affected because then we're just being impractical and stupid.

Flashbangs are not a weapon. They are a diversionary tactic. They are noisemakers designed to stun opponents through super-high noise, blinding light, pyrotechnic explosions, and possibly smoke. At the most, it should make a big-ass explosion (which doesn't do anything really) that could possibly lock weapons for about two, three seconds to simulate shock, and a blinding flash that makes it nigh impossible to see for about two, three seconds, and possibly work in "afterglow" effects. My post about the Lasher effect was a joke.

Sort of.
Old 2004-03-08, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
noxious
Second Lieutenant

It's not a good idea.
Old 2004-03-08, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

A no damaging weapon that disrupts friendlies gaming experience.. A lamers dream.

Sides, i get pissed off enough by friendlies beeing careless whit nades, don't need to be blind aswell as bruning whit plasma hehe.

I like the idea tho, doubt it would work ingame.
Old 2004-03-08, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Deadlock
I forgot to mention that that vehicle would only be permited to upper levels of cr, either 4 or 5... and as far as being too powerful, if it were to be put into the game in combo with base defense ideas that i have they'd all balence each other out... again, its still really sketchy, just thought it might inspire the flashbang idea.
Deadlock, why in holy hell do attackers need more of an advantage? Bases are already a pain in teh butt to hold.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion