Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 43 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not mix with alcohol
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-10, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #631
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Isn't that also true of multi-crew tanks(ie dedicated gunner)? Yet, I see people rushing to cheer for that being made optional.
Most of those people are cheering for it to be optional because they know SOE is dead set on having solo MBT's. I for one would rather have all MBT's require a dedicated gunner, making it optional is a compromise.

And in that case you should be at a disadvantage, because the other tank has taken 2 people off the battlefield while your solo tank only "costs" 1. Anyway, that's a whole other topic, and it depends a lot on how it's implemented (ie. a true extra gunner vs just giving the existing gunner both weapons).
Old 2012-06-10, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #632
mirwalk
Sergeant

I would have to say no to prone for gameplay reasons. With a big as the game world is, so much cover, brush, buildings and such, I think it would be a sniperfest if you put in prone. not to mention the issues of camo and finding people who are prone, without the use of a kill cam it becomes a mystery of finding out who shot you.
I think it would also increase the learning curve a bit too much as newer players would be getting the tar shot out of them but more experienced people.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #633
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by mirwalk View Post
I would have to say no to prone for gameplay reasons. With a big as the game world is, so much cover, brush, buildings and such, I think it would be a sniperfest if you put in prone. not to mention the issues of camo and finding people who are prone, without the use of a kill cam it becomes a mystery of finding out who shot you.
I think it would also increase the learning curve a bit too much as newer players would be getting the tar shot out of them but more experienced people.
could you at least read some one the opinions on this and how it would be taken care of like mine?

Lest say prone was coming into the game for a temperary trial? What would there be restrictions on,

Will first off maxes and and big weapons could not go prone unless you switched to a smaller weapon and got prone.

There would be NO dolphin dives, because we all know that jumping into a door way with a camper/tactically placed person is just to easy.

There would be a 1 second duration from up to down and back to up.

Infultratiors have to have 50% of there cloak off or just all of it because people can't move as a group and have an inferred scoop person that can detect the sniper, because heaven forbid that you move in Groups!

You could only see as far up as your spine will let you because it's not really fair.

You can only move slowly turning on the ground so that you can't do a 360 in a second moving. Good example for prone would be arma 2 if any one watches it.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #634
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

This thread needs to go prone.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-10, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #635
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
nah because heavy assault have the minigun wich ot will not make sens for them to go prone but all others class yess

all the class exept max and heavy are more vesatile and base on movvements etc..

heavy and max are mostly defense and (( offense support )) they dont have the same role at all its like saying tank must fly
Look, here's the point I'm making. Forget how stuff looks and look at it from a purely gameplay point of view. From what we've seen, HA isn't that much tougher than LA/engineer etc. So if the LA can go prone, it creates an unfair playing field for HA vs LA/engineer etc. So if you want LA to go prone, HA also need the ability to go prone in order to maintain an even playing field. If you are so averse to HA going prone because it looks silly, then in the spirit of fairness, no one should be able to go prone. Either that and give the HA something more.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #636
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

^^ I agree.

Old 2012-06-10, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #637
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by MadPenguin View Post
Look, here's the point I'm making. Forget how stuff looks and look at it from a purely gameplay point of view. From what we've seen, HA isn't that much tougher than LA/engineer etc. So if the LA can go prone, it creates an unfair playing field for HA vs LA/engineer etc. So if you want LA to go prone, HA also need the ability to go prone in order to maintain an even playing field. If you are so averse to HA going prone because it looks silly, then in the spirit of fairness, no one should be able to go prone. Either that and give the HA something more.
Why shouldn't heavy assault be able to go prone? Instead of designing machine guns to be hipfire only, design them to also allow prone. And even if machine guns can't be done that way, HA can still use other weapons that wouldn't prevent prone.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #638
EVILoHOMER
Major

I mean I don't think Prone is something that would ruin the game but it just doesn't need it. I mean BFBC2 getting rid of prone made the combat so much better, it just keeps moving and it's why I prefer it over BF3.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #639
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
I mean I don't think Prone is something that would ruin the game but it just doesn't need it. I mean BFBC2 getting rid of prone made the combat so much better, it just keeps moving and it's why I prefer it over BF3.
I played BC2, and I almost never snipe, and usually prefer to attack aggressively, but at such times as I did snipe or camp, lack of prone never did anything to keep me moving. Sure, it kept me moving in terms of running behind a rock to reload or AD-AD-AD stepping, but I believe you mean moving as in moving toward objectives, and it most certainly didn't encourage that kind of moving.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #640
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by MadPenguin View Post
having this logic will lead in this kind of thing ...

Why tank do not have the ability to fly ? If you are so averse to tank going Fly because it looks silly, then in the spirit of fairness, no one should be able to Fly ...

pretty much it

MAX for sure is a mostly a vehicules need to be repair so this isnt a infantry its a mini mechwarior ! SO no prone automatically

for the heavy assault its not that iam againt is its thats HA have the MMguns and i dont know how it should be possible for them to use is while prone or if they go prone they cant use the MMgun just their regular LMG

And anyway i do not want prone as a offensive thing u can break up compleatly the shooting mechanics while prone i do not care !

the important thing about prone is mostly be able to use the terrain to get cover in many dangerous situation ! to reload safely etc..
Old 2012-06-10, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #641
EVILoHOMER
Major

The other thing I think goes against prone is flora in Planetside 2 vanishes quite quickly where in the small maps of BF3 you can see it from far away. People often hide in flora and don't realise they're not covered and to people in the distance you just see someone laying down. Where as with crouching only, people tend to to hide in that stuff and hide behind things like big rocks and trees.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #642
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
The other thing I think goes against prone is flora in Planetside 2 vanishes quite quickly where in the small maps of BF3 you can see it from far away. People often hide in flora and don't realise they're not covered and to people in the distance you just see someone laying down. Where as with crouching only, people tend to to hide in that stuff and hide behind things like big rocks and trees.
i think you will also not be able to see players if you dont see the flora
Old 2012-06-10, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #643
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Adams clegg say it i swear He as said thats prone isnt in yet but they want to test it out during the beta and if prone doesnt work it will not make it in the final build

it ws in a inteview iam looking for the link
I remember hearing it being said as well. sadly it might have been during day 2 of the live e3 stream which I dont belive has been posted online yet.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #644
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Having prone benefits the game by offering you an additional tactical decision of making yourself more effective in fire-fights, but less effective at escaping or dodging.

It's the same trade off as that between light assault and heavy assault, just a less dramatic one that has less restrictions on its use.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #645
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Will this thread ever die? Just leave it till the beta. And I still don't support prone.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion