Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be better? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if this will fit... Uh... *Yanks hard* DAMN! It's stuck...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Implementing Eve Style Factions?
Only use Eve Style Factions: 2 2.04%
Only use traditional Planetside Style Factions: 92 93.88%
Use Both 'Side by Side': 4 4.08%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-04, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet

EVE is a bad example, because despite people's choice of race, it's not a restriction on who they fight with or against. The vast majority of fights in EVE aren't Minmatar vs Caldari vs Gallente vs Amarr.

I think 4/5/6/7/8+ empires could work in PS if it could work anywhere. You'd just need enough continents that were large enough and some system that meant having them all be part of the same fight at once wasn't very likely.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet

I like the three empire system, and what do you tell to the people who played the empire you axed? tough shit?
Old 2011-08-04, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Serisno
Private

Originally Posted by Bruttal View Post
Its a lil hard to go back to 2003 and find all the conversations posted on the forums, Oh and No i dont want EVE if i wanted EVE id play EVE, I dont Play EVE because i dont Like EVE.
I was under the impression that Eve was a major inspiration for PS2.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/13/ev...-planetside-2/

And I agree on the fact that I don't want to play Eve. I'm tired of the space ship clicking buttons and waiting for the bad guy to die game. But you can't argue that they don't have an amazing community and faction system.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Raymac
Brigadier General

Dose anybody here honestly think they are going to stray from the 3 faction system at this point in the development?

Old 2011-08-04, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

My wife will likely never agree to a 3-way, so I'm left counting on PS to provide me with more than one thing to shoot at.....

okay ?

Don't take my only 3-way away.

booyah
Old 2011-08-04, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Dose anybody here honestly think they are going to stray from the 3 faction system at this point in the development?
The answer to this question is No.

This thread is a moot point.

2 Factions would be BORING.

4+ Would just simply be too much shit going on.

But 3333333333333333333 is the perfect #
Old 2011-08-04, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Serisno
Private

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
EVE is a bad example, because despite people's choice of race, it's not a restriction on who they fight with or against. The vast majority of fights in EVE aren't Minmatar vs Caldari vs Gallente vs Amarr.

I think 4/5/6/7/8+ empires could work in PS if it could work anywhere. You'd just need enough continents that were large enough and some system that meant having them all be part of the same fight at once wasn't very likely.
You know thats true. I guess I wouldn't want a 4/5/6/7/8 faction game. I can see how it would be hard to make that worthwhile for every faction.

So in summary I can see how a 1/2/3/4/5/6/7... faction game will always have some drawback. I guess the devs chose 3 to pick the lesser of 7 evils.

At this point I'd say I'm really just down to wanting one of two things...

1. Use the Eve faction system. Which is: Don't force people into factions, let them make their own. (I'm going to hold onto hope that this could be implemented "later on in the story". I think I remember Smedley saying that there would be some big changes between release and what they envision the game to be years down the road.)

2. Use a 3 faction system on "some worlds" and maybe have an "outer territories" area where the factions have zero presence and everything is run based on player created factions. (Basically the faction system and the eve system living side by side.)
Old 2011-08-04, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Serisno
Private

Originally Posted by Serisno View Post
2. Use a 3 faction system on "some worlds" and maybe have an "outer territories" area where the factions have zero presence and everything is run based on player created factions. (Basically the faction system and the eve system living side by side.)
Now that I think on it some more. There is no way that they will eliminate the faction system entirely... They would have hinted at it already to get a feel for how the community would like that idea.

But I will still hold out hope that they might implement the 'side by side' approach.

How do you "3 faction lovers" feel about living in the 'side by side' world?
Old 2011-08-04, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
JanitOr KanOs
Private

I'm sure the good people who still play Dark Age of Camelot would like to have a word with you.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Now that I think on it some more. There is no way that they will eliminate the faction system entirely... They would have hinted at it already to get a feel for how the community would like that idea.

But I will still hold out hope that they might implement the 'side by side' approach.

How do you "3 faction lovers" feel about living in the 'side by side' world?
Game of Thrones, year NNNNN A.D.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Serisno
Private

I suppose an "I don't care" option would have been smart. You know... for the apathetics.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

2: I now agree that 2 factions would be bad.

3: What other games? And don't list Star Craft. Because that is not a persistent world. Yes it works well for balancing (rock paper scissors style) the three sides, but I'm not talking 'strength balance' I'm talking "battlefront balance". I'd like to see an example of a three faction system in a persistent world. But even if you show me a three faction system in a persistent world that works... I'll always look at Planetside and see a three faction system that ended up being a worldwide stalemate.

4: Apparently you never played Eve

------------------------------

Trust me. I want to like the three faction system. I just need someone to help me see how we won't devolve into what Planetside is right now?

Also, nobody has mentioned making the world more like Eve. Thoughts on that?
3: Erm, plenty of games. true, the persistent stuff is missing in most of them, but that doesnt matter, because the only difference is that you can win and then get a reset. While Planetside 2 wont have a reset, once one empire is pretty much beated down, the remaining two would clash each other, allowing the third one to regain ground. And it isnt just expirience from various games here, these are the very basics of war.

4. I played eve, alot, for years. Was a X-Trader, part of the Xetic, Trust as well as Dusk and Dawn. I blew up BOB, Goon, Stain, Curse and other alliance ships, as well as got blown up by them. I have taken part in countless battles, from small to large, including the destruction of TRUST in EC-p8r. Ive helped build container storages in Immensea, mined ressources in Branch, etc.
And from all those years playing eve, i know very well that 4+ can work, if you have enough options. But in Planetside 2, you wont be able to build alliances with other factions, or betray them by doing a suprise attack. You wont be able to crush an entire Alliance all by yourself. Eves deepness in this matter is somethign Planetside 2 will never reach, and should never reach. Planetside 2 will be a war between factions, that will always be at war. Thats the very core of Planetside, thats why we still enjoy the old one and look forward to the new one. Changing this very core aspect would take away almost everything that made Planetside to what it is.

And if you play eve, you should know how big fights can get. YOu know the lag. Eve can handle this barley, because the game is capable of rendering alot of players because it simply doesnt have to render much else. In Planetside, you would have 1000 or more players on terrain, in bases, with vehicles, including weather and much more lightning than in eve. That would cause alot of lag if fights get to big, hence the limitation to 1000 players. Besides that, playing with lag in Planetside isnt fun, after all you have to aim and shoot, not point and click.
Now, putting more than 3 factions would mean each faction would have less players. 333v333v333 with 3. 250v250v250v250 with 4, 200 each with 5, 166 each with 6, etc.
Fights would be smaller and smaller, and the entire idea of planetside, the massive war, would go into the bin.

Now, lets get to your actual concern: The issue.
Yes, its true, it sucks sometimes, but the problem there is not 3 factions, the problem is the lattience. It often forces your path, because doing back operations is pretty impossible with the right teamwork, and teamwork (the good outfits) mostly left years ago. That wont be that way in planetside 2. For once, going behind enemy lines seems to be easer this time, and besides that, those skilled outfits will be everywhere, filling up their ranks, doing awesome stuff. The Issue planetside has right now wont occur that much in the sequel, if ever at all.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Serisno
Private

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Now, lets get to your actual concern: The issue.
Yes, its true, it sucks sometimes, but the problem there is not 3 factions, the problem is the lattience. It often forces your path, because doing back operations is pretty impossible with the right teamwork, and teamwork (the good outfits) mostly left years ago. That wont be that way in planetside 2. For once, going behind enemy lines seems to be easer this time, and besides that, those skilled outfits will be everywhere, filling up their ranks, doing awesome stuff. The Issue planetside has right now wont occur that much in the sequel, if ever at all.
They have mentioned that they are working on a new lattice system that is much more granular and should "solve the problems of Planetside". So maybe they have found a way to end the days of cyclic battling through a lattice upgrade.

I suppose I can just hope that things are in good hands and wait to see what happens. Worst case scenario I'll have a new shiney version of PS to play.

Last edited by Serisno; 2011-08-04 at 02:52 PM.
Old 2011-08-04, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Solution is recruit more players. People want this game but many of them simply don't know they want it. Hint hint SOE spend a bit more time recruiting players who have never heard of planetside because all the planetside players are coming back any way.
Old 2011-08-04, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

When PlanetSide was very early in development there was a fourth faction. They didn't have a name, but their style was more of a modern military color scheme, with dark greens and browns (you may have seen really old screenshots with them). They were eventually cut because with four empires the fear was that two teams would end up forming, with two empires creating a tentative cease fire, and the game would become a two on two. It might happen in a week, it might take three years, but eventually the game will devolve into two sides. This was the reason the fourth empire was cut.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion