@ps2 Devs - What about 1 or 2 even bigger Map? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PlanetSide Koolaid: Resistance is futile
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-02, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DevilzRightHand
Sergeant

@ps2 Devs - What about 1 or 2 even bigger Map?

"This will be a lot of text, But please read it all "

Hello devs of ps2, you are doing and have done so far a hell of a work with this game.
Love every part if it, Sure its still some bugs and tweaks and still some bad optimizations in some areas but im sure that you will fix it later down the road

Tho the thing i want the most and many other with me is BIGGER maps.
Don`t take me wrong, The map now is "big" but a lot of ppl including me want at least one map that is even bigger. I have heard now many times over the voip chat that people including me is thinking that its a lot and even a little bit "to much" of "base jumping" right now.

What i mean is: There is no "travel time" that make the maps feel as big as they are made to feel.
You go from one base to an other in like 30sec-1min and if you fly strait you can cross the map in like 5-8min.
In my opinion and in a lot of other peoples opinions the maps don`t feel big.

To make you understand what i talk about when talking "big" maps i will do a reference to an other game with "big maps" i played called WW2Ol (world war 2 online)

What i and a lot of other people want in ps2 is a map with more SCALE.
A little story from the WW2 online, Just so you know what i am going 4 here with "big maps"

I remember when i fought in ww2 OL and we just took a "base". After we took it we were just looking at the map trying to figure out where to attack next when our commander wrote to us saying that a caravan of fuel trucks and tanks and infantry trucks would be coming thru ouer area going to the front line that we should catch up with and then go and hold the front line. 5 min passed, 10 minutes passed, We held back some scout infantry from the little village when my spotter suddenly saw a HUGE caravan of tanks and trucks coming in the far distance, People riding on top of tanks and back of the trucks talking in "area voip" so it felt like it was real ppl coming in the caravan (i know it sounds strange but it was sooo awesome).

We jumped on the last truck in the line and then traveled to the front line, The time it took to travel to the front line was maybe 15min. That imo is scale !! And that is what we at least want 1 or maybe 2map in PS2 to be.

I KNOW that you guys want the game to be more accaceble to "new ppl" and faster phased but i beleave that at least ONE big map for people like us will make the faction/community even tighter.

Like think about it:
You travel in that caravan going towards the front line, Suddenly a gang of mosquito's is flying down from above scouting the "support line" for your faction and spots you. They take out 3 infantry trucks making you loose 3 ppl from your squad and 12 other soldiers-
You can't do anything except screaming to the driver to keep driving past there burning wrecks and continue towards the front line where your people need you.

When you look out thru the back of the truck you see like 10+ tanks going in a line thru the dessert guarding the inf trucks. With libs/and attack planes flying above in formations after formations going out bombing the front 4 your arrival.

Sure it will be less fighting "all over the map" probably but the community and the feeling that you are fighting next to "your friends" and "faction" will be HUGE as it were in WW2 online.

In ps2 its like: You do a base then the zerg train move for like 30sec to 1 min - attack the next base and here we go again..

I think at least ONE HUGE map where some people like me that like the feeling of SCALE and dont mind to "wait" until you get to the fight, talking to your friends, (traveling time) would be awesome in a game like this where the community is already awesome in so many ways.

Like you did in ps1 where you had some maps "under ground" you could have some HUGE MAPS in ps2 where the war actually took WEEKS before a map were "some what" finished on that map.

Like where people can go if they are tired of the "fast phased" combat there is some times on the maps and want a slow moving battlefield with more teamwork and scale .

Just an idea
Time to go and kill me some smurfs again

Last edited by DevilzRightHand; 2012-10-02 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2012-10-02, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: @ps2 Devs - What about 1 or 2 even bigger Map?

I agree, not on the scale of WW2OL but bigger than now.

Some maps on the original PS were Indar sized (with fewer bases/outposts), the speed of aircraft in particular was slower.

Some maps were bigger, e.g. Esamir.

Travel time is very important.
Old 2012-10-02, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

There will be less bases on Esamir for the same continent times.

= greater travel distance between them. Now go be happy.
Old 2012-10-02, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Daavy
Private

nope, make maps smaller. I don't want to play hikeside 2

Thanks Devs
Old 2012-10-02, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
DevilzRightHand
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Daavy View Post

Thanks Devs
Smaller? Are you serious? Did you play ps1?
Maybe ps2 is not 4 you?

Go play battlefield 3 or CoD is my advice.
Old 2012-10-02, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Ther would still be base hopping but with more time watching the terrain slowly go by. So my vote is no on your plan.
Old 2012-10-02, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
cellinaire
Captain

Thanks Devs
...why even play MMOFPS game and why even decided to play this game in the first place, then?

I agree. I hope the future continents to be larger than current ones. (not that I don't know they're all 100% hand-crafted..but)
Old 2012-10-02, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

They have said they can do larger maps, I'm sure they will someday.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-10-02, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Yes bigger maps are better for the speed in which you can move on the current maps travel time is too short imho.
Old 2012-10-03, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Chewy
Major

Thanks Devs
The game is great so far but just fighting over base after base after base and never out in the open gets rather old after a while.

Look at DayZ. I put damn near 200 hours into that mod alone and %70-%80 of it is just running from town to town and covering the asses of my group. You never know when someone will find you or if that dot on the hill is a sniper about to kill you or the goat you need to stay alive. Those moments of running into a random person in the wilds give such a rush that words fail to leave my fingers when trying to describe it. All I can say is that it's MUCH better than roaming a town where you expect to see someone.

Just imagine rolling with flash mob over a barren wasteland watching your objective get closer and bigger by the moment. Not only would that give you time to plane an attack but it would let the other factions have time to setup to defend. They maybe even push a counter attack and meet your forces in the open for an all out war before you can get near a base.

Having a HUGE map would make defending a much more vital part of PS2. As it is now all I get to do is either leapfrog from outpost to outpost or spend a few hours defending a base that can (and will) be retaken in under half an hour thanks to the other factions leapfrog. Hell, I can't even repair a base that can take all day to cap before the herd leaves me behind to fight off the very guys we just pissed off.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion