Outfit Barracks: The good, the bad, the ugly. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You better have on clean underwear.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-08-15, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Huma
Sergeant

Outfit Barracks: The good, the bad, the ugly.

So seeing that got me thinking. It could actually perform some viable in game functions. With the ability to put some signage up you could effectively advertise your outfit. Just slap a information kiosk in front with info regarding the outfit and requirements. Then put a part in there for people to put in an application.
Also considering the removal of the no-fire zone there's a good chance you'll see grieving going on. Having a safe place to meet, mess with your class load outs and potentially pull vehicles would be a good idea. Not to mention it would be awesome if an outfit could have a VR room and a command room with a battle map.
Old 2011-08-15, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Outfit Barracks: The good, the bad, the ugly.

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
So seeing that got me thinking. It could actually perform some viable in game functions. With the ability to put some signage up you could effectively advertise your outfit. Just slap a information kiosk in front with info regarding the outfit and requirements. Then put a part in there for people to put in an application.

Why couldn't this be done via an interface? Have a "Browse outfit" menu that outfits can put advertisements in.

Also considering the removal of the no-fire zone there's a good chance you'll see grieving going on. Having a safe place to meet, mess with your class load outs and potentially pull vehicles would be a good idea. Not to mention it would be awesome if an outfit could have a VR room and a command room with a battle map.

Continents already have unconquerable footholds on them, so this feels redundant.
blah
Old 2011-08-15, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Outfit VR room is an awesome idea. I know there will be no more sancs, but VR is just a great way to ease new people into the game, also a great place for testing. It's hard to figure out how many bullets a gun takes to kill in battle. VR could also be used for "Outfit Practice" or training.

I'd also like to see outfit bases as a constant spawn point. So only that outfit can choose to spawn there at any time for defense
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-08-15, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Huma
Sergeant

Lol I know bags but it's there. I'm assuming they'll be where the foot hold is anyway. It's more fluff for the other mmo peeps. But there will be griefing. Friendly fire and no weapon lock zones means there will be ass hattery galore especially between rival outfits. So it would serve it's purpose on that end.
Old 2011-08-15, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CutterJohn
Colonel

I want my solo player hut then.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
You are starting to become very pesimistic bags....
His comments speak the truth though. Outfit barracks just distract from the core gameplay. Outfits can meet at empty bases or the main uncapturable base.
Old 2011-08-16, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
His comments speak the truth though. Outfit barracks just distract from the core gameplay. Outfits can meet at empty bases or the main uncapturable base.
Who cares? They don't distract from the core gameplay.

The core gameplay of a MMOFPS is the FPS aspect, the grunt game. This means, in your logic, the skill system distracts from the core gameplay. People should just be able to have everything at once. Just since it doesn't have anything to do with the "core gameplay". If all the devs focus on is the "core gameplay", the game will fail. There needs to be additional aspects other than just shooting people, or the game would get boring very fast.

What fun is it to meet at an empty base? I like the idea of customizing a base with the outfit; it is something we could call our own.

Outfit bases would in no way distract from the game, but in fact add to it. Of course.
Old 2011-08-16, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Maybe outfit bases will have so many customizations, they will vary more then regular bases. This would be a great way to implement player generated content, through base design. It could start with different benefits like better turrets, or less vehicle entrances? Radar jamming, or improved enemy radar detection? Then things like actually modifying walls, ramps length/width and maybe some visual design, could be the long term.

Further down the line I'm imagining a whole continent with no preset bases, just room to create.

think I'm done idea rambling
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-08-16, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Valdae
Sergeant

Seems like a good idea, but really what are it's practical applications?

Outfit communication? That'll happen online elsewhere.

A rallying point? That can happen anywhere.

A chance for n00bs to get to grips with the game? Most new players wanna get straight into the heart of battle anyway.

Outfit training? Will never be as effective as direct combat experience, but 'training' can also can occur anywhere.
Old 2011-08-16, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zulthus
Colonel

Doesn't have to have a practical application to be fun. As stated already, outfits can battle one another at these bases. Adds another level to the game.
Old 2011-08-16, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Huma
Sergeant

Guys I think your reading the wrong thing into this. They called it housing because that's what they meant. Not a base but a building most likely in the faction uncappable area. Basically a place for outfits to get together in a secure location. Why? I'm assuming
1: Uncapturable doesn't mean ass hats aren't going to try and hit it. With no HART Building there won't be much cover.
2: With the no-fire ban lifted we'll see the return of the griefers in the uncap area in force. Atleast before you just had to worry about getting mowed. You'll have people gunning everyone down as well.

There are number of other bonuses that they could offer besides being game store money sink holes. Giving every outfit it's own base would be impractical and cause all sorts of balance problems I'm sure.

Last edited by Huma; 2011-08-16 at 03:25 AM.
Old 2011-08-16, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Senyu
First Lieutenant

I want my own house.......ontop of a mountain............................in space....
Old 2011-08-16, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Valdae View Post
Seems like a good idea, but really what are it's practical applications?

Outfit communication? That'll happen online elsewhere.

A rallying point? That can happen anywhere.

A chance for n00bs to get to grips with the game? Most new players wanna get straight into the heart of battle anyway.

Outfit training? Will never be as effective as direct combat experience, but 'training' can also can occur anywhere.
Personally, I think it adds to the "cool" factor.

After all, it's a video game. Does everything really need to serve a purpose?

I vote yes to this thread.

Last edited by Logit; 2011-08-16 at 08:52 AM.
Old 2011-08-16, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
morf
First Sergeant

I'm okay with it so long as they have a weekly reality show like Cribz where some outfit shows off their pad.

Would in-game television programming distract from core gameplay? Nah, when did tv ever distract anyone?
Old 2011-08-16, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Huma View Post

Considering that SOE stated that the outfit bases can be customized/adding additions to them, via the "resources" or in game "credits" will give these outfits a sense of accomplishment. On top of that, I can see these outfit bases being viable in a tactical adv when attacking or defending a base or certain areas of interest. If anyone thinks that this wont be a practical in game item, I beg to differ. Since there are "landing struts" on the tower/outfit base in the first trailer, this tells me that a senior role in the outfit can place this base anywhere on the map within certain limitations of course. I would love to have these outfit bases/towers, gonna add a lot of variety and tactical gameplay to PS2, however the majority of my comments on how exactly they will work is pure speculation at the moment. I support Huma on this subject.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion