First time playing Planetside - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 50% less fat than the official site!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-01-24, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ShockFC
Master Sergeant

Re: First time playing Planetside

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Cert aircav, fly reavers and mosquitos exclusively, win game.
keep telling yourself it was ever that easy.
Old 2012-01-24, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ShockFC View Post
Beat me to it.

That being said.

Always have engineering certed regardless of play style, it's simply too useful a cert.

If you plan on doing a lot of fighting indoors, medical goes a long way to increasing time on the field without returning to an e-term for fresh kit, though you can still get by with just medkits.

Speaking of. ALWAYS have medkits, even if you have medical certed. You can adjust the medkit function key to be something more comfortable that you can pop in the middle of a fight to increase the amount of time you stay alive.

Implants. When you hit BR6, implants are basically interchangeable perks. I recommend Audio Amp as your first implant, simply because being able to KNOW where an enemy is at, can either get you a kill or help prevent you from dieing.

Join an outfit, I recommend GotR from VS (look for their listed squads), good bunch of guys.

There's a lot more stuff out there, planetside in it's own way, is fairly complex. It takes time to realize what does and doesn't work. And do not compare it to any other FPS you've ever played, you will only burn yourself.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-01-24, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
TacKLed
Private

Misc Info

To add to what I said earlier. The mechanics of this game are also outdated to me at least. When I grew up past the Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh stage of my child, I migrated to the regular Xbox and played Halo 2 and Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on there before I came to PC and catch up on all the games I had missed (I'm 18) so when this game was in it's prime, I was sitting in a clan lobby in some random Xbox game. (I wish the fucking console devs would put clan support back into their games but that is another discussion). The TTK in this game is foreign to me since I've been playing the Battlefield games and Halo for the better part of a decade. I've played Quake Online and some older type games like Tribes Ascend so I welcome the changes that PS2 will bring to the table.

Simulations games are also a must if you are a PC gamer.
Old 2012-01-24, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

this one time i killed a rexo and i only had to fire 43 rockets.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-25, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
this one time i killed a rexo and i only had to fire 43 rockets.
Sounds horribly much like my flying lol.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-25, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Qwan
Captain

Well ill give you some pointers this may help you get a feel for the game.
1. Stay in sanctuary, get the xp for running around and playing with the equipment.

2. Spend your certs wisely, though they can be reassigned, find out a good combination.

3. follow the zerg, get a feel for large scale combat, well what battles are still going on. I dont know how populated the game is lately.

4. Find an outfit, Im sure there are outfits that have went inactive, have gone active looking for new recruits for PS2.

5. listen to your squad leaders during the fight, makes for lots of wins and lots of wins means more xp.

6. once you get use to the different bases, and know how they work, volunteer to lead, you should not ignore Command Rank (CR). Nothing like calling down the wrath of god

7. Most of all have fun, I made alot of online friends and we still hang out online to this day.

I started in 2003 and stopped in 2008, now I just log in periodically, and run around. Alot is going to change when PS2 comes out so dont get to used to the michanics of PS1, but the large scale combat and the team play will be there im for sure.
Old 2012-01-25, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Reaver/mosquito pilot spotted.
Old 2012-01-25, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Someone who doesn't know the concept of "Anti-Aircraft" spotted

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-01-25, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Someone who doesn't know the concept of "Anti-Aircraft" spotted
lol, he probably has no situational awareness.

One of those guys with MA sitting on a base wall and you straif him and he does not even move.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-25, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Graywolves
General

Rocket spamming was so 7 years ago. It's all about jumping out of a phantasm on top of people now.

(you would still kill someone faster with a reaver)
Old 2012-01-25, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
ShockFC
Master Sergeant

No matter what, you will be always be one of those players that comes to complain about your own shortcomings on the forums of games you will not take the time to learn to be good at. Piloting alone did not make you "good" at PS1, but it was a skill that was learned by the vast amount of good players.

I've seen your kind before, especially in the PS community. One that has zero concept of how game mechanics work on even a basic level. You play "support" without ever exploring how to also assist your team by killing another player. I know for a FACT that one play style does not just win planetside. This game is about how effective you can be in your own style of play, I've seen players across the board be exceptional at very specific play styles - pure grunt, support players, engineers, and even ATV drivers. All of them, however, have basic talents at every other aspect of the game and can help when needed. These players also have a tendency to not blame the limitations of their play style on other aspects of the game or members of the community who have a direct counter to them. They work their way around these limitations by becoming more flexible and gaining a deep understanding of how this game works.

Yep, I fly the reaver/mosquito - in fact I greatly enjoy that aspect of the game. Do I personally agree that there is too much AA? Absolutely. However, I've worked my way around it STILL to this day. It was said best by a friend of mine in this community: "No matter how much you complain on the forums, and how much you get things changed or nerfed for your personal enjoyment, we WILL always find a way to wipe the floor with you." My play style is effective, but I'm effective at almost every other aspect of the game as well. In fact, I'm willing to bet I'm more effective at your own particular play style than YOU are.

Sure, there are imbalances in the game - I can even admit that. Aircraft USED to be very over powered, but they are so held back by the amount of AA these days it's silly. Not that I mind, I'm still playing 100% more effectively at any role than you ever did at just one.
Old 2012-01-25, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

To support Shock: while I do hate good TR/NC reaver/mossie players with a passion, I love them when our VS pilots join the battle.

Honestly, as a skyguard driver, I always found it fun to play vs. good reaver players (when I had a good gunner with me).

I do hate reaver/mossie bailures for all those times I was not in my SG though.

love/hate relationship much ?
Old 2012-01-25, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

words words words
Oh, okay. Well that was interesting.

Anyway, if you as a new player want to use a powerful vehicle which doesn't require you to find someone to gun for you, use a reaver or a mosquito. If you want to be a crazy weirdo who writes huge blocks of text to people he's never seen in Planetside before, do what this ShockFC guy just said or whatever.
Old 2012-01-25, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Punker
Corporal

Some great advice in here, also make good use of your minimap, and 3rd person view
Old 2012-01-25, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Jakusotsu
Private

I'd like to give Planetside a try but I can't figure out a way to buy and make a subscription. I went to Direct2Drive and found out it was bought by Gamefly so I try to buy from Gamefly but it can't find it. I downloaded the Gamefly Client and I can find Planetside on it but no option to purchase. Just wondering how you did it lol.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion