Engineering: Assault vs Fortification - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: lifes a bitch thats why i married one.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-04-06, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Engineering: Assault vs Fortification

Hello been playing around with Advance engineer but I got to drop it for assault engineer or fortification engineer, What one is more useful or better?
Old 2012-04-06, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Juniata
Private

Re: Engineering: Assault vs Fortification

They both have their uses, but it really comes down to what you want to do. If you have the cert points get both!

Short answer: I prefer fortification.

When I have fortification certed I use it as a means to defend against a larger opponent. For instance, cerb and upgraded flak turrets are a great deterrent against air vehicles. It's difficult to gain air superiority around a base, or even a tower, when there is literally too much flak to fly around; mosquitos and reavers will be eaten alive. It's even great to put a field of cerb turrets in a random area away from a base/tower that air vehicles tend to fly over (AMS). Also, the ability to place extra mines and spits is great too.

Assault engineering is handy when you're attempting to hack and hold a base. Try gal dropping or bailing on a rooftop to resecure a base, and you'll quickly realize how much a pain in the ass it is from the opposing point-of-view.

Overall, I'm a big fan of CE and I almost always have it certed. Sensor disruptors, boomers, mines, and spits I use constantly in any game session.
Old 2012-04-07, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Fort's extra mines is stupid useful as is upgrading turrets. Flack turrets are currently broken imo. You can also break the game with tank traps.

Assault is good for being evil as a cloaker. Go to an enemy base and slap down a mine and spitfire on top of each other right outside a door. The aegis is also fun but you need to be able to give it shield to make it really useful but that requires fort. The field turrets are wonderful against BFRs for system damage but no one in their right mind uses BFRs these days.

Keep Fort.
Old 2012-04-07, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

I just take the easy way and get both.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-04-08, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Not BR40 yet ? Got Milk ?
Old 2012-04-24, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
The field turrets are wonderful against BFRs for system damage but no one in their right mind uses BFRs these days.
Hey! I use BFRs still... and im quite good at it.

OP: Assault is cool if you spend alot of time in a vehicle, or provide support. Like a Loadstar. You can land the loady and put your own Aegis over it. Placing Spits inside enemy SoIs CAN be helpful in some cases, but a hinderance in other cases. Since if they explode, you'll likely kill allies if your attacking a base or tower. But if you set them up far enough away to cover doors and other odd areas it can keep the defenders inside and even pick up some kills on occasion.

The field turrets are nearly worthless with their neutered range. They're excellent against infantry, but cant shoot far and are stationary and worse, cannot be placed in SOIs. They get wrecked by vehicles and aircav that outrange it. I've only gotten kills with them by camping doors and providing cover fire on towers.

Fort lets you place MORE turrets along with the awesome Shadow Turrets. Place Shadow turrets in odd places and youll get lots of kills. One of my favorite places to put them is right near the Gates of a CY, usually slightly upwards so it looks like there are no turrets, but when the enemy passes through the gate, both cloaked turrets rip him apart. Cerb turrets are an annoyance at best unless grouped togather in a cluster, and the extra mines are just awesome. TRAPS are a momentary deterrance for vehicles and some slight cover, you can stall vehicles with them.

With eaither assault or fort you gain the extra Repair rate, personally i think Fort nets more kills in the end. But a good Assault Engineers can rack them up too if you get the chance to CE an enemy base.

Fort is my presonal preferance simply for Shadow Turrets. Regular spits almost always get instantly killed or infected by cloakers, Shadow Turrets dont get spotted as soon, or hacked as often by cloakers because cloakers NEED darklight to hack them, and have to be activly looking for Shadow turrets with DL.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion