about the system REQs (not commonly known info) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please, stop harrassing Vanu.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-10-21, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Metacom
Private

about the system REQs (not commonly known info)

well from what Ive gather its not commonly known any ways...through one of my nights feeding myself PS info by the bucket i came across this guy who got a chance to play PS at one of the E3 (?) gaming conventions. and he talked to one of the devs, sorry cant remember who, but the dev guy said that at his office he runs PS with a Geforce 2 and like a pentium running a lil over a gig. with 256 ram and he said it runs just fine.

I think these reqs are from the fact that there are going to be raging battles on a massive scale and tons and tons of crap is gonna be flying around. those time is where im sure we'r gonna need the extra power...but say like squad to squad combat in a building 5vs5 or 10vs10 in spots like that i think these REQs are a lil high...

but hell the game could be that graphiclly demanding, which would be also shweet :P
Old 2002-10-21, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea I am sure allot of it is the fact its a massive game. But that was just the very early game @ E3

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-10-21, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
RocketFodder
Keeper of h8ball

wth is this crap? lol

at E3 they demo'ed on a P2.5GHz w/GF4 Ti4600. They also have rather beastly computers in the SOE offices, especially considering pre-release builds are still bloated and unoptimized with debugging code. Also, you say "waah waah 5v5 or 10v10," well, that's great. What you don't realize is, PS can probably handle 5-10 times that amount for extra-large battles. If you want to play this game and have it not look like ass, you're going to need more than a 1GHz machine and a GF2. I don't understand why you guys are so insistent about using shitty computers these days. Do you realize a 64mb GF2 is ~$90, and a 64mb GF4 Ti 4200 is ~$120? WTH. There's also nearly no cpu cheaper than an AthlonXP, as they run ~$50-$80 depending if you want a 1500 or 2000 or whatnot.

Criminy.

btw, the game IS that graphically demanding... it looks incredible
Old 2002-10-21, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shiver
Master Sergeant

lol, RocketFodder.

Are there really a number of us here that insist on using shitty computers? Judging by the other Game Requirements thread, nearly everyone here is (or will be very soon) running a system well above the minimum requirements for PS (Metacom included)

I'm currently hearing people agreeing that the minumum requirements will probably be as the devs have stated, given the scale of it all. True the game is graphically demanding, but if the devs say that it will run acceptably with extremely low graphics settings on said minimum requirements (and everyone seemingly agrees with that) then they are probably right.

Everyone here understands that if they want the full-on version of graphical beauty thrown at them via their monitors, then we're going to need some equally impressive system specs
Old 2002-10-21, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea Like I said in the other thread, I am not sure why people expect game companies to make games for shitty systems.. If you miss the upgrade bus you deserve to be playing with 2fps

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...=&threadid=179

Old 2002-10-21, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Shiver
Master Sergeant

I think we all got used to the fact that games companies want to make as much money as possible, so they are going to try and cater for the low end gamer (and use a lot of time optimising for their benefit), we just expect it from them now.

If they spent a little more time and money on the high end game, and less on the low, I think everyone would be trying to catch the upgrade bus ( ) a lot sooner. So devs, it's good to promote growth in the PC games industry, screw the low end game (just dont make me upgrade every 2 months to keep playing )
Old 2002-10-21, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

That damn bus has an expensive Fare!

Old 2002-10-21, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shiver
Master Sergeant

Yeah, but there's some good sight seeing to be done when you finally catch it
Old 2002-10-21, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Noxx
Ph34r da Ph3r3t!

high fare? I could build you a system that would run PS godly for $500
Old 2002-10-21, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Metacom
Private

hey i already have a computer more than capable of handling PS to its full potential

i was just saying what i read hehe

yah the mentioned the graphics have come a long way since the start...id say beggining but i think thats spelled wrong..eh

crimeny heheheheh

oh btw does anyone know if there is going to be EAX in the game? this game would be perfect with EAX HD ...because im too sexy for plain old "surround sound"
Old 2002-10-21, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

When I saw PS at E3 2001, it was running on a P3 with a GF2, but that was "Pre Alpha" so a lot has changed since then. Hell that was even before Dave G was with PlanetSide so it was (<--note my use of italics. It makes me cool like everyone else ) a very long time ago.

Me I caught the upgrade bus a while back and took it to the GF4 Ti 4400, and Soundblaster Audigy stations. I still mightget a new processor though. 1.4 Ghz just doesn't seem fast enough any more.
Old 2002-10-21, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Metacom
Private

lol man im running a amd xp 2000+ running at 1.6 and its still faster than the p4

truth.

hehe i hardly had to pay anything for me new comp my brother was the head tech at this comp company he use to work for so i got all my stuff for hella cheap

ah ha see im not just making shit up :P at one point PS could of been ran with those type of system specs...
Old 2002-10-21, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ChrisMOG
Corporal

Well, most-likey you are gonna need a 1.5ghz+ AMD or 2.0ghz+ p4 (running rddram or maybe ddr...) to fully enjoy this game (all details max), and of course a gf4+............The game will probably run at a more-than acceptable level on lesser speced machines, but for the full experience, your gonna need mad horsepower.
Old 2002-10-27, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Flashingfish
Forbidden Leader

Plain old surround sound?

I live with stereo.

Old 2002-10-27, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tetsugaku
Corporal

an I live with headphones
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion