How much does Planetside 2 really cost you? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: NO CAPS PLEASE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-20, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Doxy
Staff Sergeant

Re: How much does Planetside 2 really cost you?

50$ on double station cash day
already got the rig that can play ps2 on high/ultra
Old 2012-07-20, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Alan Rickman
Private

Intel i5 3450 3.1 GHz (ivybridge)
AMD GIGABYTE Windforce Radeon HD 7850 2048MB
8GB 1333MHz RAM
240GB SSD
1TB HDD

In total cost me about $1,523.61, which is about £972.

Last edited by Alan Rickman; 2012-07-20 at 03:29 PM.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

This:

Has triggered me to consider upgrading two of my machines.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
BobLeeSwagger
Private

I think foliage density should not be an option. What if i have a beefy machine and i decide to lay down in some nice foliage and snipe. Mean while, someone with a lower foliage setting points and laughs at me while they pop my ass.

Ps. I know it has to be an option so that lesser systems can play, but just sayin...
Old 2012-07-20, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
I am not spending a cent upgrading and I only have mediocre specs:

Intel Core2 Quad Q9495 @2.66Hz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard

My plan is only to upgrade when the next generation of consoles hits the market. When that happens I will fork out for the best hardware I can buy, thus making sure I have a great computer for PC games for a few years, and way beyond minimum specs for any console-ported game for the next 6-8 years (until the subsequent generation of consoles after this next one is released).
Yeah, I'm pretty much thinking the same thing. The last time I did a motherboard upgrade(Sept. 2007), I bought an Asus P5K-VM motherboard, because it could handle the whole range of Core2 processors and it has solid capacitors, onboard video, and 4 DIMM slots, so built to last. I always buy something with onboard video, so as to not be tempted to get raped buying a new video card locally rather wait a couple of days for a delivery from newegg lol... However, I now have 3 pci-e video cards kicking around, so no worries about being without video.

I'll stick with my setup for a few more years, unless the CPU speed proves to be a hindrance in PS2, as it's perfectly awesome for everything else that I do. Heck, it even plays the heavily CPU dependent EQII really well...

Asus P5K-VM Motherboard
Core2 Quad Q8200 (2.3GHz)
6GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
GTS 450 1GB GDDR5

It's too bad that there aren't any inexpensive socket 775 upgrades like there were back in the Pentium Overdrive days! Really sucks crap that I bought the Q8200 when it launched, because ones 6 months later supported VT and I can't run a 64bit VM without VT. And it's not worth upgrading now, because I could get an AMD based mobo/video/ram for the cost of a socket 775 quad. Really too bad that Core2s never had the price drop that the core i3/5s had. That did not go as I had planned ( P4 > Core2 Duo > Core2 Quad > Core2 Quad again), so I stuck with the low end quad, because it works and anything better isn't worth the money...

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-07-20 at 09:28 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

I'm about to spend about $600 on a used machine that will be my starting point, it's a few years old but it has an i7 core, 12 or 16GB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon 4850 that is going to be replaced by a GTX 670 (or something comparable depending on deals) before launch. I'll probably shell out some extra cash for a nice headset, wireless keyboard/mouse, and possibly a new power supply depending on what I find in there, I'm guessing total investment to end up around $1,300-$1,500 by the end.

I don't imagine I'll be doing too much visual customization in Planetside 2, probably just whatever my outfit picks, any useful camo patterns, and probably a hood ornament for each vehicle. I will definitely want voice packs if they get the Planetside 1 voices, and I will probably buy boosts on a regular basis depending on whether/how they are worked into a subscription model. I intend to kick enough ass that I won't need to purchase the majority of my sidegrades but we'll see, perhaps once my student loans are paid off I will celebrate with a splurge!
Old 2012-07-20, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

750... Egyptian pounds.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Stormhall

I'm probably gonna only have to pay £25 for a new graphics card to replace my old crappy intel one and then I'm fine.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Jownzorz
Corporal

$900 on my rig
-AMD Phenom II X6 @ 3.2 (Can OC to 4.2 safely)
-G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3
-Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti
-ASUS M4A89GTD
-OCZ Veterx 120GB SATA III SSD

$300 on my 27" LED monitor: 1ms, Full HD HDMI

Haven't touched station cash yet, will do so next time they double up.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
andehh
Corporal

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
That should run PS2 on Low with really good frame rates, or playably on Medium.

You'll be better off than I was when Planetside 1 launched. I had a 1.4 GHz single core Celeron, 512 MB RAM, and an ATI 9600

Awesome. Set everything to max, then scale back shadow and foliage quality until you get good frame rates. You'll probably stay close to maximum everything @1080 resolution.

Cheers mate, makes me feel better!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 2012-07-20, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
SouthernGoods
Corporal

920 bucks on a new rig
Old 2012-07-20, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
SavageB
First Sergeant

Never had the intention to just upgrade the comp for PS2, but I spend 3-4k every 2 years for a new comp anyways. So $0 essentially for PS2.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
EveningTide
Private

Originally Posted by Gin View Post
I'm secretly hoping that more responses are like yours so I can pretend to justify spending $$$ on my new build.
Here is how I look at it. As long as bills are payed, the fridge is stocked and your significant other (if applicable) is happy and cool with it then it's all good.
I also built it in stages, I got the case (NZXT Phantom) MONTHS before I got anything else, then I got a killer deal on the Mobo and Proc, then the RAM from new egg (G Skill) was on sale for 10 bucks off and finally the Graphics card. I already had a 700 Gig HDD and a 1000W Power supply so those just got re-used. Start to finish took me about 8 or 9 months so the shock to my wallet was pretty spread out.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Karrade
First Sergeant

I'd put it in terms of how much food you have to buy to keep yourself playing planetside. So for me, how many potatoes, carrots, oranges, apples and the like I must digest to give my body enough energy to play.

Other than that what evening said above - take care of those you care about, and get what you want done, and then any money is just there, its not doing you any good just being there.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-20 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Gin
Private

Originally Posted by CheeZeX View Post
1300$

24inch asus 2ms monitor
GTX 670 OC'd
i5 3570k @4.2ghz
128gb SSD
8gig ram
Z77Extreme4 mobo
850w psu
1tb hd
new logitech m/key

Fiance got so mad
I'm curious how you managed to only spend 1300.. that is nearly identical to my build, sub the monitor. Mind going in depth a bit more? Did you recycle certain parts?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion