Dopplers Defensive Idea(TM):Drop Pod Receivers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only true cradle of the Hair God...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-30, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Dopplers Defensive Idea(TM):Drop Pod Receivers

The problem occured to me the other day as i was dropping into a hot battle on ishundar. Almost as soon as my pod landed i saw a guy outside repairing his deliverer, i got him but his two gunners smoked my tail good, nothing i could do about it. This got me thinking, i was coming down to helped our besieged defenders at the base. How about installing a sort of covered landing spot for friendly drop pods. THis whould allow owning empire troops to drop into the protected base SOI and shield them from roaming tanks and reavers. You could put it in central core of the building so that a personw hould never be exposed to hostile fire while landing. Personaly i think the mechanism could have its own backup generator so it can be operated even if theres no power to the base.

Perhaps not my clearest essay but what do you folks think?

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-03-30, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JakeLogan
Major

I like it but it won't be put in.
Old 2004-03-30, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Any particular reason?
Old 2004-03-30, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

I always thought the way drop pods worked was kind of dumb. In my opinion, you should only be able to HART into friendly, un-hacked SOI's.
Old 2004-03-30, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

It's like...the whole risk element. The manual or...somewhere official always said "Don't drop near roads that enemies may be on, cos that's retarded"...or something like that. Basically, there's a whole big tactical thing in just dropping, and inevitably it's sometimes going to be out of your control, or possible knowlege of there being enemies in the drop zone.
Old 2004-03-30, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BigFreak
It's like...the whole risk element. The manual or...somewhere official always said "Don't drop near roads that enemies may be on, cos that's retarded"...or something like that.
Old 2004-03-30, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I'm assuming that the reason you can't drop within an SOI is probably because it was buggy and went through the base.
Old 2004-03-30, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
scarpas
Captain

uhh... it wouldnt be worth the time and money... we need the devs to put in other things such as new weapons... weapons/vehices would be a much better thing to put in.

Edit: sorry if that didnt make sence, i just got back from rock climbing and cant think correctly.
Old 2004-03-30, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cryptica
First Sergeant

The manual or...somewhere official always said "Don't drop near roads that enemies may be on, cos that's retarded"...or something like that.

Anyways, I see both points. I like the idea of having a "safe-zone" for HART drops, but I understand BigFreak's point. Maybe with a little tweaking this idea could be helpful.
Old 2004-03-30, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

It's like...the whole risk element. The manual or...somewhere official always said "Don't drop near roads that enemies may be on, cos that's retarded.
I only enter the HART in an infiltration suit, and drop far enough off-roads that nobody will catch me.
Old 2004-03-30, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Ok heres always been my assumption, you cant drop into SOI's because the bases defense gridn whould light you a new one, which is why i think you should be able to drop into a freidnly base, give one more slight tactical advantage to the defenders.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-03-30, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I think that HART dropping now is really balanced. The only thing I would change is being able to drop closer to bases.

Old 2004-03-30, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

No. Make them have a LONGER timer, and deploy them only near or in friendly SOI.

Unlike WH40K Drop-pods (The only other types I know off) which are strictly offensive for purposes like Deep Strike (deploying far behind enemy lines), can hold at leased a platoon of troops, and can also deploy armoured vehicles from orbit, PS drop-pods can't. It's just suppose to be a quick and easy way to bring individuals to the frontline, making them any closer is sucidal for the one person.

Making the timer longer, is much better because when it reache a point you will have a clusters of pods dropping just to help push an offensive, comnig to the frontline from the safety within a friendly SOI.

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2004-03-30 at 08:36 PM.
Old 2004-03-30, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
LimpBIT
Lieutenant Colonel

Good idea make like a gated area for drop pods. I could see that put into the game. But wrong timing cause ever since broadcast WG have been put in it has made the HART close to useless. Ive only used it twice since the BWG have been put in.

Old 2004-03-30, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

That's true, and not to mention you have the "Instant Action" features too. It's a bit of a fumble now.

Wonder hows the dev going to sort this out?

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion