[HARDWARE] PS2 & PhysX - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why your girlfriend left
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-15, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Desoxy
Corporal

Re: [HARDWARE] PS2 & PhysX

Originally Posted by basti View Post
I have a better idea: Sell the red crap and go for the green guys. That actually gives you performance rather than some thing in your machine that doesnt do much.

But thats the fanboy in me speaking. ^^
The green guys surely have less annoying bugs in their drivers.. (measured in how often you have to roll back to an old version)
Old 2011-07-15, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Doesnt work anymore.
Waste of money.
Just wait, chill, smoke a pot, and see. Physx will run native on ATI cards by the time we get PS2 release.
What do you mean, doesn't work any more? All the new-ish nvidia cards support hardware physX.

I do agree about the PhyX standalone card, though. No point in dropping $150 on it when you can get a good full GPU for not much more money, if any.

(I've also never heard smoke a pot? You mean a bowl?)

On the topic of cpu/gpu physX, those w/o a background can read: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...deon,2764.html

I'm a green guy, personally...but that more has to do with CUDA's availability than anything else.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-15 at 11:46 AM.
Old 2011-07-15, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
What do you mean, doesn't work any more? All the new-ish nvidia cards support hardware physX.

I do agree about the PhyX standalone card, though. No point in dropping $150 on it when you can get a good full GPU for not much more money, if any.

(I've also never heard smoke a pot? You mean a bowl?)

On the topic of cpu/gpu physX, those w/o a background can read: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...deon,2764.html

I'm a green guy, personally...but that more has to do with CUDA's availability than anything else.
Since one of the newer drivers, Physx does not work with Nvidia cars if you have another, non nvidia card in your machine.
Old 2011-07-15, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I didn't take that comment to mean in "addition to the current card, buy a cheap nvidia card"

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-15, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sentrosi View Post
Is PhysX exclusively catering to nVidia cards or is there code within PhysX to also be used with Radeons?
nVidia cards will apply hardware acceleration to the PhsyX code. Other computers will not; instead, they'll use CPU cycles more heavily to perform the same functions.

The game, including the PhysX code, will run on any Windows DirectX system (of whatever version of DirectX the game will end up requiring). nVidia cards with PhysX acceleration support will ease the load on other components, potentially removing bottlenecks in some hardware configurations.
Old 2011-07-15, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Volw
First Sergeant

Since one of the newer drivers, Physx does not work with Nvidia cars if you have another, non nvidia card in your machine.
That's gay. Isn't there a hack to enable it?
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-15, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
nathanebht
Sergeant

PhysX has always been about extra cosmetic effects that don't do one thing to gameplay. Doubt PS2 is going to be different.

But I hadn't read much about PhysX recently, so found some up-to-date stuff.

http://physxinfo.com/news/ has this nice video of PhysX in action with comparisons of high and low settings.

Benchmarks of the same game using an AMD video card.

Also looked at other benchmarks on physxinfo.com. Seems likely you'll need a top rate Nvidia card or a 4 core CPU when using an AMD video card to maintain a good framerate in PS2 with all of the nice PhysX stuff flying.
Old 2011-07-16, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Zulthus
Colonel

I have an AMD Athlon quad-core and a Radeon 5870... I'm all set for PS2 when it comes out.
Old 2011-07-16, 02:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Spark
Private

Originally Posted by nathanebht View Post
PhysX has always been about extra cosmetic effects that don't do one thing to gameplay. Doubt PS2 is going to be different.
They mentioned that PhysX will be used for vehicle movement and bullet ballistics, it seems pretty incorporated into the gameplay. They said they're going this route because a former SOE employee develops PhysX allowing them to get top-level support when needed and because PhysX is more robust than it's competitors. The fact that PhysX isn't being used solely for those cosmetic FPS eating effects is probably the reason why it won't matter what brand of card you use in regards to performance.
Old 2011-07-16, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
nathanebht
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Spark View Post
They mentioned that PhysX will be used for vehicle movement and bullet ballistics, it seems pretty incorporated into the gameplay. They said they're going this route because a former SOE employee develops PhysX allowing them to get top-level support when needed and because PhysX is more robust than it's competitors. The fact that PhysX isn't being used solely for those cosmetic FPS eating effects is probably the reason why it won't matter what brand of card you use in regards to performance.
Good point about the vehicle movement and bullet ballistics. Hope PhysX is also used for collision. These will likely all be done using the CPU with limited realism.

PhysX is known for those extra nice effects you can see in that Alice video. The floor tiles shattering were quite good looking. However, all that stuff flying around on each hit is all cosmetic, not touching the gameplay. Since developers can't count on you having an Nvidia card or a 4 core CPU, they are prevented from doing what we'd all like to see. The 4-5 year old PC target for PS2 is the problem.

Last edited by nathanebht; 2011-07-16 at 11:09 AM.
Old 2011-07-16, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Atranox
Private

Do not confuse the PhysX engine with GPU-accelerated PhysX.

GPU-acceleration on PhysX requires an NVIDIA card for decent performance and full effects, while the engine itself does not as it runs exclusively on the CPU regardless of video card brand. Based on SOE's description, it sounds like the physics engine itself i being used, not the GPU-acceleration.

Video card brand will most likely not matter.
Old 2011-07-16, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
nathanebht
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atranox View Post
Do not confuse the PhysX engine with GPU-accelerated PhysX.

GPU-acceleration on PhysX requires an NVIDIA card for decent performance and full effects, while the engine itself does not as it runs exclusively on the CPU regardless of video card brand. Based on SOE's description, it sounds like the physics engine itself i being used, not the GPU-acceleration.

Video card brand will most likely not matter.
Thats a clear way of stating things. SOE can't be planning for the game to require GPU accelerated PhysX which is it's standout feature.

The 2nd page of those benchmarks using only an AMD 6950 card is informative. http://benchmark3d.com/alice-madness...ns-benchmark/2

At least for this Alice game, AMD video card, PhysX set to high and a 4 core CPU runs fine.
Old 2011-07-17, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
bkx
Private

Don't worry. PhysX is mostly a marketing ploy by Nvidia. It slightly lessens the load on your CPU from physics calculations, but if you have a decent CPU you'll never notice the difference.
Old 2011-07-17, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

After resubbing and playing a little Planetside again last night, I'm really looking forward to the new physics. I forgot just how bad they were in the original game. Every vehicle feels like it's driving through molasses and jumping feels more like your character goes into Matrix mode and just sort of floats for a while.
Old 2011-07-17, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Gandhi you hit it right on the head with that one. lol
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion