Is PhysX Enabled? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hazardous to people without a medkit
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-09-16, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
AceofSpadesX
Private

Question Is PhysX Enabled?

Hey everyone!
I'm wondering if GPU-accelerated PhysX is actually in the game. If it is, could you provide a link to a video showing the difference between having it enabled and disabled? I will be building a new system by the end of the year and PhysX has influenced my GPU choice. Currently I want to get a GTX 660, but if I don't like the PhysX effects, I would get a Radeon 7870 for about the same price. Thanks in advance.
Old 2012-09-19, 05:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ESR
Private

Re: Is PhysX Enabled?

http://www.geforce.com/games-applica...s/planetside-2
Old 2012-09-19, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bleihelm
Private

yes !
Old 2012-09-20, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AceofSpadesX
Private

I'm sorry I worded that terribly. I know it will be in the game, but my question was is it actually implemented yet? If so, then I requested a link to a video or photos showing the difference between having PhysX effects on and off. Sorry about that
Old 2012-09-20, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by AceofSpadesX View Post
I'm sorry I worded that terribly. I know it will be in the game, but my question was is it actually implemented yet? If so, then I requested a link to a video or photos showing the difference between having PhysX effects on and off. Sorry about that
Yes it's enabled in the beta already. Don't know about a video but I can make one for you if no one else can dig one up on for you. The servers are down right now though so you have to wait 16+ hours for it at least.
Old 2012-09-22, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
AceofSpadesX
Private

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Yes it's enabled in the beta already. Don't know about a video but I can make one for you if no one else can dig one up on for you. The servers are down right now though so you have to wait 16+ hours for it at least.
Thank you very much. This will really help me choose a graphics card.
Old 2012-09-24, 04:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sunrock
Major

Thank you very much. This will really help me choose a graphics card.
Have not got around to make that video... But so far I can't see any real difference between it on and off.
Old 2012-09-24, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
AceofSpadesX
Private

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Have not got around to make that video... But so far I can't see any real difference between it on and off.
That's ok. Take as much time as you need because I won't be building the PC anytime soon. If you want to call it off, that's fine too.
Old 2012-09-24, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Toppopia
Major

So it is working? Because i have it turned on but my GPU does nothing as it must be all running from my processor. Unless its only meant to use less than 10% of my GPU while running? (Using GeForce GT Nvidea 230M)
Old 2012-09-25, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

I'm assuming that you also have SLI? If so then use these settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLI PhysX.jpg
Views:	4304
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	949  

Old 2012-09-25, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
codylee
Private

The Game was built with Physx in it, so you can't turn it off it's literally apart of the game it's self. If you don't have a Nvidia card then your CPU handles it.
Old 2012-09-26, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
AceofSpadesX
Private

Originally Posted by codylee View Post
The Game was built with Physx in it, so you can't turn it off it's literally apart of the game it's self. If you don't have a Nvidia card then your CPU handles it.
Well yes, but that is actual physics like gravity and inertia. What I'm talking about is the GPU-accelerated PhysX effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x9B_4qBAkk
Old 2012-09-26, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Well yes, but that is actual physics like gravity and inertia. What I'm talking about is the GPU-accelerated PhysX effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x9B_4qBAkk
No, all physics are handled by physX regardless of your gpu, its just the physics engine much like Havok which is used in a lot of games. If you have Nvidia, your gpu processes it, if you have AMD then your CPU processes it. The end result tho is exactly the same. It may run better if you are cpu capped, on Nvidia, but otherwise it wont matter. Again, all graphics cards get the EXACT SAME PHYSICS. Its only whether your gpu or cpu processes it that changes, nothing that you actually see or experience will change.

In short, you cant make a video to show a difference because there is none.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-10-04, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
SGswift
Private

I have a GTX 460 dedicated to PhysX. I monitor it while in game via my G19 Keyboard and MSI Afterburner and so far it has never gone above 0% usage with the GPU-acceleration option check on (or off) in settings. However it does get used in games like Mafia 2 and PhysX benchmarking programs such as FluidMark. So unless PS2 is bypassing my Nvidia control panel settings and using my main card (a GTX 680) for GPU physX while at the same time falsely displaying on screen that it is using the CPU for PhysX (Nvida Control Panel > Settings > Show PhysX Visual Indicator)

No, this game doesn't currently use GPU PhysX.
Old 2013-03-20, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Wellnice
Private

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
No, all physics are handled by physX regardless of your gpu, its just the physics engine much like Havok which is used in a lot of games. If you have Nvidia, your gpu processes it, if you have AMD then your CPU processes it. The end result tho is exactly the same. It may run better if you are cpu capped, on Nvidia, but otherwise it wont matter. Again, all graphics cards get the EXACT SAME PHYSICS. Its only whether your gpu or cpu processes it that changes, nothing that you actually see or experience will change.

In short, you cant make a video to show a difference because there is none.
100% bullshit.

I know the thread is very old, but i found this via google and have to correct this as a lot of people without any knowledge just post any bullshit and other people believe it.

PhysX is 100% Nvidia. AMD Cards CAN NOT process any PhysX effect. The only way to get PhysX effect when your main card is an amd card is to plugin a dedicated nvidia card as a second card to handle PhysX and install hacked drivers. That is the only possible way.

General game physic has absolutely nothing to do with nvidia PhysX technology.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions