Improvement: Community mute for foul mouthed players. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-03, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Purple
Sergeant Major

Community mute for foul mouthed players.

we all know the players who this is targeted at. the ones which no matter how they die blame someone or something else (like game mechanics, hacking or lag) and send tells to the people who killed them calling them all sorts of offensive words like F**. i would like an automatic system in place where if a player gets a set amount or reports on them that they are muted for everyone in the game on all sides for a set amount of time due to the number of offences, a day for the first time a week the second a month for the third and a perma mute for the last. a mechanic like this would make the game atmosphere a little nicer for everyone. while still allowing SOE to make money off the players.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Community mute for foul mouthed players.

Too easy to abuse. A large outfit could grief someone they don't like by having all of their members report them.

What could work is a variation on that. Have a language filter built into the game, which automatically blocks or censors certain words. In addition, have a report feature similar to what you described, where if a player gets reported for being offensive enough times, it automatically blocks them, but only for everyone who has the language filter turned on.

That way, players who don't care about what words someone uses are free to hear (or personally block) what everyone has to say.

Also, the mute feature should never apply to squad/platoon/outfit chat. It should be those groups responsibility to kick or mute someone if they don't like what's being said. This should only apply to things like local chat and tells.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Purple
Sergeant Major

chat sensors or not people find ways to be offensive. and they could always add something where reports have to come from multiple places not just one outfit.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

You know how in practically every MMO ever you can turn on foul language filter for chat that turns all the bad words into **** ***** etc???

Yea, Problem Solved.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SKYeXile
Major General

/ignore

Thread over.
Old 2012-05-03, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Saand
Private

I can't think of any good reason why I should be able to receive tells from the enemy faction in the first place, nothing good can come of this, especially in a free to play game.
Old 2012-05-03, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

I like the idea but that would only stop english speaking game denizens from swearing. Germans are usually polite, French simply sound silly but we Slavs from ex-communists countries are horrible - it's usually better that you don't understand what we can say. Even the most horrible english curses I've ever heard sound like nursery rhymes compared to some of the ordinary curse phrases we tend to use frequently. It makes me feel very ashamed.
Old 2012-05-03, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Are you talking about voice chat or just regular text?

If it's text the problem is already solved as most online games with a chat function today have language filters. (Which are quite funny to test on the QA side of things)

And for Voice chat, I don't see why any offended party couldn't just simply choose to /ignore that player and never hear them again.

If there are a large number of /ignore's on that player then a message could show for said player saying they aren't very reputable and they may want to tone it down.
Another option would be to have community player ratings, but implementing something more complex when something simple can be used takes away from developing the good stuff that we all want to see in the game.

I'm assuming PS2 is aiming for a T rating, otherwise I don't see why this would matter.
Old 2012-05-03, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Saand View Post
I can't think of any good reason why I should be able to receive tells from the enemy faction in the first place, nothing good can come of this, especially in a free to play game.
I'll assume you never played the first game. It was a lot of fun sometimes. Listening to some noob rage at you, or having a chat with someone who you had a good 1 on 1 fight with.

Maybe that could be another chat option though, blocking all tells from enemy empires. I'm all for having options.
Old 2012-05-03, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

Only that it makes you feel better about yourself because you pwned him so hard he cant even comprehend your skill, it MUST BE hacks.

examples:

Old 2012-05-03, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Saand
Private

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I'll assume you never played the first game. It was a lot of fun sometimes. Listening to some noob rage at you, or having a chat with someone who you had a good 1 on 1 fight with.

Maybe that could be another chat option though, blocking all tells from enemy empires. I'm all for having options.
I have been in the original beta and played off and on, and I'm subscribed at the moment.

Listening to noobs raging was never fun for me, might have to do with me playing mostly infiltrator though. Now that you mention it I had some good chats about fights but they were far and few and I wouldn't miss them.

Giving an option would be great, I agree.
Old 2012-05-03, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Saand
Private

Thumbs up Re: Community mute for foul mouthed players.

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Only that it makes you feel better about yourself because you pwned him so hard he cant even comprehend your skill, it MUST BE hacks.

examples:

[IMG]snip
Impressive maybe I have been looking at it from the wrong perspective...
Old 2012-05-03, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
CutterJohn
Colonel

Half the friends I made in PS1 were people that had killed me in a spectacular fashion, or that I had killed in a spectacular fashion.

If people are bothering you, there will always be an /ignore feature. I would even agree with a blanket toggle to ignore tells from other factions. Completely optional of course.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
we all know the players who this is targeted at. the ones which no matter how they die blame someone or something else (like game mechanics, hacking or lag) and send tells to the people who killed them calling them all sorts of offensive words like F**. i would like an automatic system in place where if a player gets a set amount or reports on them that they are muted for everyone in the game on all sides for a set amount of time due to the number of offences, a day for the first time a week the second a month for the third and a perma mute for the last. a mechanic like this would make the game atmosphere a little nicer for everyone. while still allowing SOE to make money off the players.
Actually, an anti-cheating full-time staff that actually did something other than let all their "life partners" cheat all they wanted without any accountability would go a lot further.
Old 2012-05-04, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Methinks traak is a closet cheater who secretly wishes he had a "life partner" to protect him. The gentleman doth protest too much.

I have been in the original beta and played off and on, and I'm subscribed at the moment.

Listening to noobs raging was never fun for me, might have to do with me playing mostly infiltrator though. Now that you mention it I had some good chats about fights but they were far and few and I wouldn't miss them.

Giving an option would be great, I agree.
Didn't mean to call into question your credibility, the other post just made me uncertain.

I personally didn't get a ton of use out of the feature in the first game. I'm not the best player, so I only received the occasional hate tell, but I did always find them highly entertaining. Personal taste, which as we agree, makes having options a good thing.

For me though, the best part about it is the friendlier tells. Considering that you generally only used to get one third of the picture most of the time on your server of choice, it was a nice way to put a human face on an enemy faction that otherwise tended to be an enemy at best and a total pain in the ass at worst.

For me it was one of the many non combat parts of the game that made Planetside that much more interesting. I never wanted PS1 to deliberately have non combat aspects of the game, nor do I want anything but warfare to be the focus of PS2, but those non combat elements that popped up on their own without encouragement were a lot of fun as side diversions for me.

I can't wait to see PS2's equivalent of ANT races, and I am looking forward to hopefully many more tells, good and bad, with the TR and NC of PS2. But to each their own, it does seem a silly thing to allow in some ways. Certainly seems like something that should be able to be blocked.

I hope the T rating they are shooting for doesn't end up giving us no option for uncensored chat though. Just as I like the idea of having options to self impose censorship and blocking on the game for those who want it, I really don't want to have my words and the words of others forced through a mandatory and usually hilariously nonsensical filter.

Maybe they'll make uncensored chat be a cash shop item to help protect the kiddies

As if they aren't some of the worst offenders.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault