Wow. This place really died, eh? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Life is Good, with Planetside atleast
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2014-12-12, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Rolfski
Major

Re: Wow. This place really died, eh?

I used to prefer this forum for in-depth discussions about the game, although the disproportionate negativity and bitterness compared to other forums was off-putting at times. The decline in favour of reddit didn't help much either. I had a good discussion with my outfit mate ChipMHazzard about this a while ago. We both didn't have a real answer to what future there is for dedicated fan sites like this, but we hate to see them go.
Old 2014-12-12, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
I think more than that is people want Planetside 1 out of PLanetside 2 and they're just not the same game.
having a game that is something more than planetside in just namesake would be nice.

edit: that will probably never happen with the current team at the helm. they drop the ball more than the bears do.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2014-12-12, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
But to players hope to have it developed in a very specific direction isn't why you would want to play a game you don't quite enjoy for years.

In fact, it kinda pains you to see the potential and not getting the obvious. When I played it with another PS1 vet, we would get constantly annoyed by the detail designs that were impacting in some way as a rather annoying side-effect that you either could or couldn't do, but were forced to camp or give up or not be able to use attrition as a weapon in fighting a group of people too large to kill all medics at once for instance (we could tackle such a group in PS1 by taking their supplies (destroying terms and AMS) and then removing the med juice from the medics over time). We would constantly rant "why didn't they do this this way? Oh wait that would be like some other game we once played, what was it called again?"

It is a constant source of minor aggravations to play the game and all taken together it just isn't fun anymore. And no, can't switch that off. Tried for half a year.
Yeah mate I hear yah I actually after beta was quite discusted with the state of the game almost didnt come back for 6 months, but I said you know what it is a different game I will try looking at it as a new title rather then a sequal and when I started to do that it became a lot more fun to play.

But I do know exactly what you are saying.
__________________________________________________ _______
Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
having a game that is something more than planetside in just namesake would be nice.

edit: that will probably never happen with the current team at the helm. they drop the ball more than the bears do.
LMAO They have to try pretty hard to catch up to the bears
Old 2014-12-13, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I will remember Planetside 2 for being a moderately fun shooter, but lacking everything that made Planetside 1 a unique FPS experience and thus managing to be one of the biggest disappointments i experienced with sequels.

A bit like the new bastardized star trek; Looks nice, lots of flashy stuff and if you switch your brain off you might have a good time. But it's oozing "michael bay" and "corporate" juices all over my carpet.

I dunno, maybe i'm just being mellow but in the end it's probably better to have this over nothing at all. Atleast it gives me a shooter fix now and then. Which sadly PS1 can't do because SOE managed to fuck that up too, ARGH. Ahh there we go, un-mellowed myself again.

Oh and PS2 is also mostly responsible for this place being dead.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2014-12-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 2014-12-14, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

At least we have 13 viewing this forum. The same 13 viewing for the last 3 years.
Old 2014-12-15, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
At least we have 13 viewing this forum. The same 13 viewing for the last 3 years.
It's a conspiracy! D:
Old 2014-12-15, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Well you brats got what you wanted, one (singular) useless spitfire turret which changes absolutely nothing about the dynamic of player interaction: drive from one spawn camp to another.
Old 2014-12-15, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Figment
Lieutenant General

Well you brats got what you wanted, one (singular) useless spitfire turret which changes absolutely nothing about the dynamic of player interaction: drive from one spawn camp to another.
1. "You brats"

Nice generalisation... Inaccurate cause of point 2 and insulting too. Good way to hold a discussion.

2. "A single Spitfire turret (everyone can place one of)" is actually something nobody asked for.

What was asked for, is being able to place a larger number, (~10) which would only be allowed as part of a certification system where you do not have access to all certifications, but where it is a long term character development choice between having this or some other character attribute. Meaning you cant have both. Let alone all.

If you can't see the massive impact difference between a PS1 Spitfire turret with accompanying cert balance system and this, maybe you're the brat who never actually listened to what was being said and asked for...

I'm also quite sure most people you call "brats" here - despite you being clueless to who and why you are talking to - want these to not deploy inside, while the spawns are deep inside. Meaning they don't want camping to be easy in the first place, let alone with Spitfire turrets in between the spawn room and the control console (think AMP station and AT/Redoubt/Module Cavebuilding camping in PS1 after the introduction of Spitfires that could be deployed in hostile territory: there were a lot of complaints about those then too...).

I can assure you that nobody here has asked for, nor is waiting for this particular implementation.

Now, be a good boy and admit you're wrong about us and apologise for your rash behaviour and insulting tone and direct your anger as constructive critique (see the conditions established above) towards those responsible for this particular implementation: namely the people that want to have access to all certs through all lives by being able to change to all classes and use all vehicles with permanent cert upgrades and endless cert point gain.

Blame Brewko for BR40 in PS1 and Black Ops design and "balancing". Blame the devs for still considering teleporters with(out) shields, which are undisableable (is that a word?) on either end. Blame the devs for doing a half arsed Spitfire turret design with inappropriate balancing and being as situational, limited to prevent massive numbers and therefore utterly useless for anything but camping and zergs of engis as are PS2 mines.

Basically, the last people you want to blame are the people here, because they actually think about the consequences of design and implement appropriate counter balancing systems to avoid spam, camping and abuse.

Last edited by Figment; 2014-12-15 at 09:40 PM.
Old 2014-12-16, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
ringring
Contributor
General

This is a bit random. Did you get the right forum or even the right game?
Old 2014-12-16, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Clearly he thought this was Reddit.
Old 2014-12-18, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
IIRC Buggsy once made a post about why he rage-unsubbed from PS1: someone EMPed his carefully set up CE field, undoing all his hard work.

Probably not realising that without the EMP blast, some fortified positions wouldn't be taken.

Tbh, it wouldn't have been weird asking to review CR3-4-5 EMP blast balance as the number of CRs rises (as with the frequency of OS blasts as CR rises), but to have EMP blasts removed completely would have made it a bit too hard for tactical strikes. >.>

Speaking of which, since we're not doing anything at the moment... Anyone up for a round of CR ability discussions? Could it have been designed better?
Old 2014-12-19, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

If you understood the importance of CE/AMS for defense you would have asked for the CUD EMP blast and CUD Orbital Strike to be removed from the game 10 years ago.

You brats got exactly what you wanted so enjoy your rolling balls of zergs going from spawn camp to spawn camp with little to no resistance.
Old 2014-12-19, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
ringring
Contributor
General

If you understood the importance of CE/AMS for defense you would have asked for the CUD EMP blast and CUD Orbital Strike to be removed from the game 10 years ago.

You brats got exactly what you wanted so enjoy your rolling balls of zergs going from spawn camp to spawn camp with little to no resistance.
again I think he's got the wrong folks. Still, it's sunny outside so not everything is bad.
Old 2014-12-19, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Change the subject and since this is the only hot thread and only a few of us here I dont really feel like starting another. You guys know why Jimmy left the PS2 team? It wasn't for H1Z1 initially. They are/were working on a 256 player WW2 round based game. Think of BF1942 only much bigger. They had to stop while waiting on a technical deliverable so they started H1Z1 in the mean time. They are supposed to pick back up on the WW2 game at some future date and I for one cannot wait to see what they come up with. Enough of Zombie games already!
Old 2014-12-19, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
Change the subject and since this is the only hot thread and only a few of us here I dont really feel like starting another. You guys know why Jimmy left the PS2 team? It wasn't for H1Z1 initially. They are/were working on a 256 player WW2 round based game. Think of BF1942 only much bigger. They had to stop while waiting on a technical deliverable so they started H1Z1 in the mean time. They are supposed to pick back up on the WW2 game at some future date and I for one cannot wait to see what they come up with. Enough of Zombie games already!
Interesting, I'd picked up that H1Z1 was kind of an accidental project.

I wonder what they have in mind withe WW2 game.

Won't it trample on PS2 server smash?
And doesn't Server Smash and all those kind of scheduled matches prove that matches in themselves aren't enough and need to be backed by a game that is interesting in it's own right?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion