Cloaker and a more complex hit box? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I crossdress when I play PlanetSide.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-27, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Irish
Private

Cloaker and a more complex hit box?

was just browsing and came across an idea that i hadnt really thought of before, and noticed i hadn't read anything about. since the hit box for landing damage is more keen on recognizing where the shot lands (ie. head) is it a non issue that cloaking directly up to your enemy and putting 3 pistol shots into his head wouldnt be about 1000x more effective since HS's actually mean something..

in ps1 there was a proverbial "set" amount of shots it took to kill someone, now with head-shots and the ultimate element of surprise im thinking it can make a pretty potent mix. not that its a bad thing...but because of the lengthy time to kill in pS1 the overpoweredness of an invisible assassin was kinda moot..apologies if this was brought up before
Old 2012-04-27, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
NCLynx
Major

Re: Cloaker and a more complex hit box?

Depends on what class they're sneaking up on and how strong their pistol is species to be I would assume.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-27, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Irish View Post
in ps1 there was a proverbial "set" amount of shots it took to kill someone, now with head-shots and the ultimate element of surprise im thinking it can make a pretty potent mix. not that its a bad thing...but because of the lengthy time to kill in pS1 the overpoweredness of an invisible assassin was kinda moot..apologies if this was brought up before
When Planetside launched the TR's Repeater was really deadly, even to Rexo. You could drop even the most heavily armored target in less than 7 or 8 rounds. There were times that an Inf could defend a hack by himself against a steady stream of enemies.

Eventually they realized this was overpowered and Rexo was buffed up to the point where Infs with guns were almost useless, and they were no longer fun to play.

Of course, there will be a whole different dynamic in PS2 with Infs being able to carry rifles, but I hope they'll balance close quarters pistol use as well.

Last edited by headcrab13; 2012-04-27 at 04:00 AM.
Old 2012-04-27, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
CutterJohn
Colonel

Headshots are not a set multiplier. They are set on a per weapon basis, so any OPness can be adjusted without mucking anything else.
Old 2012-04-27, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Toppopia
Major

Were pistols decent in first Planetside? Because it would be cool to beable to get lots of certs for pistols to make them a deadly weapon in close range and a weapon to be feared, not just "oh look, he has a pistol and shot me 10 times, now i can shoot him and kill him because pistols are weak".
Old 2012-04-27, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Pistols were for cloakers and nothing else in PS1, and the only reason cloakers used them was that it was the only weapon type that fit in their slot.

They basically only worked against clueless opponents with bad aim, which was 90% of the community, so I guess they were pretty good.
So are they now a weapon for any class in Planetside 2 or is it still restricted?
Old 2012-04-27, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Toppopia
Major

So could other classes carry 2 weapons?
Old 2012-04-27, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Toppopia
Major

So if we are lucky pistols will be powerful enough to be usable then.
Old 2012-04-27, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Headshots are not a set multiplier. They are set on a per weapon basis, so any OPness can be adjusted without mucking anything else.
True, that's a good point. I hope the pistol multiplier is adjusted so that headshots feel powerful enough (2-3 shots for a kill), yet it doesn't take 20 shots in the torso to do the same amount of damage.
Old 2012-04-27, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
So if we are lucky pistols will be powerful enough to be usable then.
Don't believe the talk about pistols not being useful in PS1. All of them were built with cloakers in mind, even the newer 10mm ones. My personal favorite was the AMP which had high RoF and a bloom to match but in single shots was pretty accurate. At point blank you could take down even shotgun users.
Old 2012-04-27, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

A cloaker dual wielding pistols would be bad assed.
Old 2012-04-27, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
PredatorFour
Major

Yeh the pistols were badass when used in the right cirumcstances. My fave is the repeater which i have to loot cos im vanu. If you sit on top of a base you can snipe people on the other side, even with the beamer too. The enemies wouldnt have a clue where you were firing from. Anyone who says the pistols were crap just simply didnt use them for long enough to get to grips with them.

With headshots tho the cloaker could be OP but no doubt there is already countermeasures for that in place. Things like the stamina drain and sensor jammers not too mention the new darklight .. What ever they have im sure they`ll make it tough for us cloakers, its not going to stop us gettin the kills tho
Old 2012-04-27, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
WorldOfForms
Corporal

I can see pistols being way more useful in PS2 for several reasons:

- Every class automatically carries one (in PS1 it used up valuable space you could use for something else).

- Most classes won't be able to carry two (or more) heavy weapons (in PS1 you could easily carry a shotgun, a rifle, AND an anti-vehicular weapon.

- Headshots

- More limited ammo. Since it looks like you won't be able to fill your backpack with ammo, and you know you always have a pistol, it will become a proper side-arm, as it was meant to be in PS1.

- probably a cert tree for pistols, making them even more viable.

Yay for pistols!
Old 2012-04-27, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shlomoshun
Private

I'd really like to see a good cert tree for pistols. Some good sights/certs to allow for them to be either lower bloom for distance use, or some additional damage up-close for the cloakers.

Also a side suggestion. Anyone heard of any sort of 'stun' being put into the game. It'd be cool to earn a cert for a 'pistolwhip' which would offer a very quick stun on an enemy at point blank range...Just a thought.
Old 2012-04-27, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
JimmyOmaha
Sergeant

Without the cert tree, the pistol will probably fill the roles of; finish a guy off 1v1 if your clip runs out. Or an "Oh crap, I'm outta ammo."

But I totally agree, there should be a cert-tree to make it badass, and maybe focus on cloak-users. :]
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion