Rough Estimate on Release Date? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's that bright stuff coming through the blinds?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-24, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dov
Private

Rough Estimate on Release Date?

This is my first post here and I don't mean to stir a hornet's nest of flame for asking questions which have no concrete answers, but...

for those who've been watching video games come and go over the years or have an inkling into how long the life cycle usually takes: what can we expect.

I'm asking -- by drawing from some of your guys past knowledge (whether in the industry or not) what do you think we can expect in terms of a release date based on where the game is now?

I played PS in beta but forgot how long it was in that phase till the game went live. Anyone remember?

I'm hoping by getting ya'lls feedback we can sort of put together our own rough timeline based on mean answers (okay, I'm an engineer by actual trade).

Lastly, what up forums! I've swooped on here from time to time for my PS2 updates but I can't just be on the sidelines any longer. Time to reactivate my account...

Dov
Old 2011-07-24, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SavageB
First Sergeant

Re: Rough Estimate on Release Date?

My friends and I predict end of 2012, or Q1 2013 but im leaning more on late 2012. Depends on what kinda info we get within the next few months, more gameplay trailers etc. I m hopin the game will come out asap but at the sametime cant rush these guys and have unbalanced and buggy game. I would rather wait longer and have a well polished balanced game.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Entertain Me
Private

I would say sooner than we think. The trailer showed actual gameplay which means the game is quite far along already. However, I still think it's going to be at least a year and a half. Planetside 1 had two years between its reveal and its launch. Either way, there are plenty of other good games to keep us busy while we wait.

Last edited by Entertain Me; 2011-07-24 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Surge72
Corporal

My guess is Q1 or Q2 of 2012.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

The end times 2012!!!!11

Zomgz we'll have like a day to playz it, oh noez!
Old 2011-07-24, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
The end times 2012!!!!11

Zomgz we'll have like a day to playz it, oh noez!
PS2 release date 12-11-2012... coincidence i think not...
Old 2011-07-24, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post

I believe the closed beta would be out before the end of 2011.
Yeah, I'll be really surprised if some form of beta isn't out by the end of the year, since Higby said they are much further ahead internally than the trailer shows.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

No way this game will be released later this year as BF3 and MW3 will be out. Good luck gaining any major player base with the majority of the FPS players being enthralled with those games. If SOE wants to aim for a 2012 release I would not be shocked to see it late second quarter or early third quarter. Any later you will be putting up with the next CoD game over shadowing any other FPS. Depending on closed beta I would hope they would do that at least for 6 months and at the current rate closed beta probably will not be here till at least the fall time.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Snow
Private

Maybe we should have a competition?

Whoever guesses the exact day of release wins a cookie.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I'm leaning towards early 2nd quarter 2012 for actual release. Though as you can tell from the responses, who the hell knows. A few things I'm guessing are in it's favor for release within a year are the fact it's available for pre-order on several sites, the level of polish in the gameplay for the trailer, and the fact that it's a sequel which may make it easier for them to test as opposed to a brand new concept. A lot of the idea work and such is already their.

I'm hoping for earlier but like people said, I don't want a rushed final product. It really depends on how much they have already done internally. They may have an almost ready to go game for the most part and just need to work to pop it out to see how it performs large scale. Also it depends on how much of what they have planned is at release and how much comes as part of the 3 year plan.

So short answer - it's anybodies guess right now.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Later Q3/Early Q4 Beta

Q2 Release of full game

That's my best approximation based on the information we've been given thus far.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-24, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
No way this game will be released later this year as BF3 and MW3 will be out. Good luck gaining any major player base with the majority of the FPS players being enthralled with those games. If SOE wants to aim for a 2012 release I would not be shocked to see it late second quarter or early third quarter. Any later you will be putting up with the next CoD game over shadowing any other FPS. Depending on closed beta I would hope they would do that at least for 6 months and at the current rate closed beta probably will not be here till at least the fall time.
Those are platform FPS games first off, they have their own player base really. Second it would be easier to compete with a COD or BF3 game compared to a largely successful DUST 514 which is suppose to be released Q2 of next year. Regardless I wouldnt expect PS2 till late next year.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Well PS2 is taking modern day FPS mechanics to fit into the original to appeal to more FPS players. With that SOE is wanting to attract CoD and BF players. Did you see how many times Smed mentioned BF? Besides this games needs attention when it is released and will only fly under the radar with those two FPS games being released. BF3 and MW3 likely will be the biggest releases this year for gaming for FPS games anyway. I doubt SOE is worried about Dust 514 as that is only on the PS3 not PC.

@ Duke

I wasn't talking about Beta being an issue for getting players, but when the game is actually released on shelfs. It would be suicide to go about against the two biggest names in the FPS industry and when you have the new star wars MMO coming out too. Remember that boycott for MW2 on PC due the lack of dedicated servers? We saw how that turned out. People are still going to flock to MW3 like the past 9000 cod games released over the years.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-07-24 at 11:55 AM.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I don't think they should worry about any BF, MW or other CoD titles or whatever. There is always one of those games coming out, they release them like 3 times a freakin' week, it feels like they should be up to CoD 37 by now for christs sake. If they release a strong game that challenges those and it's bad ass, then those other games should be the ones worried, now PS2. PS2 if they do it right might completely change the way people think about FPS games.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

While they certainly shouldn't intentionally release it the same time a COD or BF comes out, you can't really avoid releasing it when one of those comes out, as they release as often as Mario Party did.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion