Trayvon Martin - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your time has come...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

 
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-02, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #196
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Meh.
__________________

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 04:53 AM.
Malorn is offline  
Old 2012-04-02, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #197
Vecha
First Sergeant
 
Vecha's Avatar
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
We know he followed Martin because of the 911 call and statement to the police.

And Zimmerman was allowed to walk, so who thinks it's acceptable? Well, I guess the state legislature which made a law saying that people could do that sort of thing and just walk away from it.

My comment should have been more clear.

I took issue with your comment in how it seemed to suggest he followed him with the intention of doing harm.

Also...I don't think the state legislature said, "Gee, let's make a law that let's people shoot whoever they want."

Laws could always be made more clear. Perhaps this law does need to be changed.
Vecha is offline  
Old 2012-04-02, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #198
Warborn
Contributor
Major General
 
Warborn's Avatar
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
Also...I don't think the state legislature said, "Gee, let's make a law that let's people shoot whoever they want."
And yet that's essentially the effect. The cops have to take the shooter's word for it and unless they have a witness or the event becomes a national thing, that's the end of it. I wonder how many situations have gone down like the Zimmerman-Martin one did, where someone kills someone else in self-defense and they simply take the shooter's word as gospel.
Warborn is offline  
Old 2012-04-02, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #199
Vecha
First Sergeant
 
Vecha's Avatar
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
And yet that's essentially the effect. The cops have to take the shooter's word for it and unless they have a witness or the event becomes a national thing, that's the end of it. I wonder how many situations have gone down like the Zimmerman-Martin one did, where someone kills someone else in self-defense and they simply take the shooter's word as gospel.
I thought there was a witness?

Anywho, I get your point, and for the most part agree with it.

If the law is worded that anyone can shoot someone and claim self defense, then it needs to be changed.

For now, I'll wait to see what the investigation find...was he actually defending himself...did he actually have a broken nose/was roughed up.
Vecha is offline  
Old 2012-04-02, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #200
Hamma
PSU Admin
 
Hamma's Avatar
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Laws like this need to exist otherwise you have criminals suing homeowners when they cut their arms on the glass as they break into their homes.

It happens all the time in states like Massachusetts.

Citizens who carry guns are not looking for reasons to get in a shootout. Quite the contrary however they hope they never have to use it but they have the piece of mind that if they need to they won't become a victim.
__________________

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-04-02 at 10:52 PM.
Hamma is offline  
Old 2012-04-02, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #201
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant
 
WildGunsTomcat's Avatar
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Laws like this need to exist otherwise you have criminals suing homeowners when they cut their arms on the glass as they break into their homes.

It happens all the time in states like Massachusetts.

Citizens who carry guns are not looking for reasons to get in a shootout. Quite the contrary however they hope they never have to use it but they have the piece of mind that if they need to they won't become a victim.
That's something people in lily white Canada...all safe as a bug in a rug in their neighborhoods where everyone is apparently perfect will never understand.

Someone got shot? OMG WHY????? WHY IS THERE A NEED FOR VIOLENCEEEEE????!!!
__________________
Emerald Veteran: NCFeralTomcat BR 24 CR 4
Steam ID: NCFeralTomcat


The Fraternity of Gamers
http://www.thefraternityofgamers.com

You are entirely dependent on others for survival. Because I have guns, I am not. It is simply something you will never understand because independence and freedom is a very strong American cultural value.
- Malorn on the Second Amendment
WildGunsTomcat is offline  
Old 2012-04-03, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #202
Warborn
Contributor
Major General
 
Warborn's Avatar
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
That's something people in lily white Canada...all safe as a bug in a rug in their neighborhoods where everyone is apparently perfect will never understand.

Someone got shot? OMG WHY????? WHY IS THERE A NEED FOR VIOLENCEEEEE????!!!
Yes, it is a bad thing that we don't let our citizens shoot each other in the street like it's the wild west. This is a thing that reflects poorly upon us as a nation.
Warborn is offline  
Old 2012-04-03, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #203
Vecha
First Sergeant
 
Vecha's Avatar
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Yes, it is a bad thing that we don't let our citizens shoot each other in the street like it's the wild west. This is a thing that reflects poorly upon us as a nation.
I hope you realize that not all states in the US have the same laws as Florida(and other states).

The US is more like...Europe...some states are drastically different from one another..like setting foot in another country.


California for instance has stricter gun laws than many southern states.

(Not saying Florida and other states are horrible--I live in Alabama. Somewhat Liberal too. Yes, my life is interesting some days.--...but just thought I'd mention that.)
Vecha is offline  
Old 2012-04-03, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #204
TheSHiFT
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Laws like this need to exist otherwise you have criminals suing homeowners when they cut their arms on the glass as they break into their homes.

It happens all the time in states like Massachusetts.

Citizens who carry guns are not looking for reasons to get in a shootout. Quite the contrary however they hope they never have to use it but they have the piece of mind that if they need to they won't become a victim.
False dichotomy. You can have laws like the castle doctrine but you dont need laws such as Florida's shitty SYG statute.
TheSHiFT is offline  
Old 2012-04-03, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #205
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Laws like this need to exist otherwise you have criminals suing homeowners when they cut their arms on the glass as they break into their homes.

It happens all the time in states like Massachusetts.

Citizens who carry guns are not looking for reasons to get in a shootout. Quite the contrary however they hope they never have to use it but they have the piece of mind that if they need to they won't become a victim.
Uhm... Sorry, but castle law (shooting people) doesn't exactly mean "burglars are allowed to cut themselves by glass bla bla".

Obviously that's an indication of bad laws though, that a burglar can sue house owners for damage they did themselves while tresspassing. But that has nothing to do with the right to shoot them. That would be the right to cut them with glass. :s
Figment is offline  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #206
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Meh.
__________________

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 04:52 AM.
Malorn is offline  
Old 2012-04-03, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #207
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Never said there wasn't any bias on either side: as said before on several occassions, BOTH sides that claim to know for a 100% certainty if he is guilty or innocent of a hate crime before court has decided are biased. Anyone claiming Zimmerman should go free without trial is just as much biased as anyone saying he should be hang for racial murder right now.

Then again,

"Yep, completely stable and rational people attending those rallies."

Can I loan this non-argument/insult/insinuation/character murder of opposition/strawman/etc. for later debates?
Figment is offline  
Old 2012-04-03, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #208
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
I thought there was a witness?

Anywho, I get your point, and for the most part agree with it.

If the law is worded that anyone can shoot someone and claim self defense, then it needs to be changed.

For now, I'll wait to see what the investigation find...was he actually defending himself...did he actually have a broken nose/was roughed up.
The problem with that is that, say there's a rape attempt, but it never got to the raping part as the guy shot or stabbed the woman first during a struggle. Say the rapist got scratched by the woman's nails and has other bruises.

Could he then go and claim self-defense against self-defense?
Figment is offline  
Old 2012-04-03, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #209
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant
 
WildGunsTomcat's Avatar
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
(Warning: This post contains references to content that may be offensive to sensitive people)

Since many folks like to call George Zimmerman a racist, how would you classify this woman?

Here's a glimpse of the media-fueled race riots that are going to occur when Zimmerman is either a) not arrested, or b) not convicted

Here's one news account:
http://nation.foxnews.com/weird-news...volution-class



Here's the Youtube video (definitely not work safe)
girl goes crazy in class at FAU - YouTube


Here's the police report:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/86380970/J...-Police-Report



She had to be tazed three times and sent directly to the nut house under the Florida "Baker Act" which allows for immediate involuntary commitment to a mental institution.

Apparently she really doesn't like Peacocks. Or whites. Or ****. Or Arabs. But she's still out on Asians...they might be ok.

In a completely unrelated note, this woman was interviewed the day before by the local news for organizing a Treyvon Martin rally. Yep, completely stable and rational people attending those rallies.
What Malorn is pointing out here, is the same thing being pointed out by a great many people...but no one is listening apparently:

Everyone is screaming that Zimmerman MUST be racist because he killed a black child. But these are the types of people screaming that: Racists.

Completely sane, rational people indeed.
__________________
Emerald Veteran: NCFeralTomcat BR 24 CR 4
Steam ID: NCFeralTomcat


The Fraternity of Gamers
http://www.thefraternityofgamers.com

You are entirely dependent on others for survival. Because I have guns, I am not. It is simply something you will never understand because independence and freedom is a very strong American cultural value.
- Malorn on the Second Amendment
WildGunsTomcat is offline  
Old 2012-04-03, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #210
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Trayvon Martin


Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
What Malorn is pointing out here, is the same thing being pointed out by a great many people...but no one is listening apparently:

Everyone is screaming that Zimmerman MUST be racist because he killed a black child. But these are the types of people screaming that: Racists.

Completely sane, rational people indeed.
So you are, as Malorn already was, insinuating that anyone attending rallies is a deranged racist, simply because one person apparently is? Isn't that... stereotyping?
Figment is offline  
 
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Bookmarks

Wiki Activity Read More >
Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.