News: Heavy Assault Comm Link - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What is that smell?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-03, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major
 
BuzzCutPsycho's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
This is the first time I've been particularly concerned with what they're doing:
They're giving HA both the LMG and rocket at the same time. So HA gets the trifecta: AV capability, more health and a gun that's presumably stronger than the normal assault rifle. If they end up being able to carry the HA gun and Rocket at the same time...well what's the damn point of classes? We're back to HA/AV Rexo being a solomobile in all but their own medic ability.

This is especially concerning because we haven't seen any indication any of the lighter classes will have non-passive AV capability (that is the ability to project hurt to a vehicle, as opposed to waiting for it to hit a mine). No light AV guns for people or pulling the heavy AV at the expense of or downgrading the rifle.
The problem in PS1 was not that REXO soldiers could carry HA and AV but that they could do that and heal/res and repair armor.
__________________
BuzzCutPsycho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Knocky
Major
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


REXO does not get to carry the mini-chain gun and AV.

The LMG is the Cycler ARV for the TR.
__________________
Knocky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I called this 2-3 weeks ago, you can see it in one of the GDC videos

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gd...tside-2/728283


2:57

TR Rexo with bright red shield that absorbs approximatley 20-22 Gauss rounds and the rexo still has full health (didn't break shield). The bright shield effect fades during the killcam and lasted 6 seconds on-camera, but it was already on before he came into sight. So we know this kinetic shield ability lasts at least 7 seconds or so currently.

And damn that TR Rexo model looks even better.
looks like my kind of class, try to ping fuck me now.

I think if the rexo is carry AV though its main wepaon will only be able to be a SMG/rifle...maybe aLMG, but def not the HA wepaon
__________________

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SkitzoSniper
Private
 
SkitzoSniper's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


I like. Alot. But i hope they don't make it surpemely overpowered.
__________________


SkitzoSniper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Dreamcast
Major
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Finally black n Red TR...Thnks!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it just me tho or is the red...really violet?
Dreamcast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by SkitzoSniper View Post
I like. Alot. But i hope they don't make it surpemely overpowered.
I think they want to have some similarities to PS1, rexo or die.
__________________

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Rbstr's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by BuzzCutPsycho View Post
The problem in PS1 was not that REXO soldiers could carry HA and AV but that they could do that and heal/res and repair armor.
HA+AV+HP was the problem to me. Considering we get rechargeable shields, it's halfway to your version of the problem anyway!

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
REXO does not get to carry the mini-chain gun and AV.
Read it again
their versatile LMGs can be swapped for the raw destructive power of their empire’s hip-slung Heavy Assault weapon.
It may still be no av and chaingun, but it's not said that way.

The LMG is the Cycler ARV for the TR.
That's pretty obvious. I'm not confusing the LMG with anything else.
__________________

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-04-03 at 07:03 PM.
Rbstr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
This is the first time I've been particularly concerned with what they're doing:
They're giving HA both the LMG and rocket at the same time. So HA gets the trifecta: AV capability, more health and a gun that's presumably stronger than the normal assault rifle. If they end up being able to carry the HA gun and Rocket at the same time...well what's the damn point of classes? We're back to HA/AV Rexo being a solomobile in all but their own medic ability.

This is especially concerning because we haven't seen any indication any of the lighter classes will have non-passive AV capability (that is the ability to project hurt to a vehicle, as opposed to waiting for it to hit a mine). No light AV guns for people or pulling the heavy AV at the expense of or downgrading the rifle.
Rexo are reliant on other classes in PS2.

1) damage sustained past half health is permanent, so they need medics and can't heal themselves

2) they will need more ammo, so they'll need light assault giving them ammo boxes

3) if they want to swap out loadouts in hostile territory they'll need infiltrators


Adding to that you have other obvious disadvantages

4) Mobility - slower than light assault, can't hop over stuff obviously

5) Might not have any tactical grenades like smoke/flashbangs/EMP. We'll have to see.

6) Close-range effectiveness against infantry. If HA are anything like PS1 the MCG and Jackhammer and Lasher won't be all that effective outside of close range, which is why they also have the "Heavy Cycler" and "Heavy Gauss" as weapon options for more medium range encounters. It doesn't appear like they have a good longer range weapon, which is where engineers, medics, and infiltrators will shine. Possibly light assault too.

Looks to me like they're the breacher infantry and intended for close-range Anti-infantry operations and Anti-MAX/Anti-Armor. That leaves speed, mobility, and medium-long range as their weaknesses, apart from the obvious dependence on some other teammates.

It's certainly interesting to see a class that is clearly a descendant from PS1's Rexo with both a AV and an AI weapon and has survivability as its class ability. They're the Tanks. The Heavies. Not good at range, not fast or mobile, but able to be an anchor for a squad.

Have to see how it pans out, I'm not seeing any red flags at the moment. Gotta see how it pans out.
__________________
Malorn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


I dont think the rexo willbe the tank, certainly it can take some dmg, but there is still the MAX...so i doubt it compares...we will see :/
__________________

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Magpie
Sergeant Major
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Rexo are reliant on other classes in PS2.

1) damage sustained past half health is permanent, so they need medics and can't heal themselves

2) they will need more ammo, so they'll need light assault giving them ammo boxes

3) if they want to swap out loadouts in hostile territory they'll need infiltrators


Adding to that you have other obvious disadvantages

4) Mobility - slower than light assault, can't hop over stuff obviously

5) Might not have any tactical grenades like smoke/flashbangs/EMP. We'll have to see.

6) Close-range effectiveness against infantry. If HA are anything like PS1 the MCG and Jackhammer and Lasher won't be all that effective outside of close range, which is why they also have the "Heavy Cycler" and "Heavy Gauss" as weapon options for more medium range encounters. It doesn't appear like they have a good longer range weapon, which is where engineers, medics, and infiltrators will shine. Possibly light assault too.

Looks to me like they're the breacher infantry and intended for close-range Anti-infantry operations and Anti-MAX/Anti-Armor. That leaves speed, mobility, and medium-long range as their weaknesses, apart from the obvious dependence on some other teammates.

It's certainly interesting to see a class that is clearly a descendant from PS1's Rexo with both a AV and an AI weapon and has survivability as its class ability. They're the Tanks. The Heavies. Not good at range, not fast or mobile, but able to be an anchor for a squad.

Have to see how it pans out, I'm not seeing any red flags at the moment. Gotta see how it pans out.
+1 pretty much says it all, can't complain with that
__________________
Magpie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
ThirdCross
Contributor
Corporal
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by Yutty View Post
the 2nd part of the gdc video where the light assault drops a heavy assault in 2 secs seems to contradict the description especially the part where it says "their ability to endure heavy fire is no doubt legendary"
That HA was already injured from when he shot him ~5 seconds before hand.

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
They're giving HA both the LMG and rocket at the same time. So HA gets the trifecta: AV capability, more health and a gun that's presumably stronger than the normal assault rifle.
Judging from the Cycler ARV the LMGs are similar to the LMGs in BF3, lower accuracy than the assault rifles but higher sustained fire. If you have an assault rifle and are semi-competent you can take out anyone with an LMG at reasonable distance. This fits in with the idea of HAs being the masters of close quarters.

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
This is especially concerning because we haven't seen any indication any of the lighter classes will have non-passive AV capability (that is the ability to project hurt to a vehicle, as opposed to waiting for it to hit a mine).
Engineers get AV turrets and boomers along with reduced explosive damage.

Last edited by ThirdCross; 2012-04-03 at 07:29 PM.
ThirdCross is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
SkitzoSniper
Private
 
SkitzoSniper's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I think they want to have some similarities to PS1, rexo or die.
I do agree that rexo should dominate in-doors, but that shield ability looks like it can be slightly OP in it's current form. I understand its the alpha so we will have to see what changes are made.
Also are weapons armor and class restricted? I can't remember if they said this would be so or not.
__________________


SkitzoSniper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General
 
NewSith's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


I want this person to wield a sniper rifle instead of a cloaker with one. Seriously.
__________________

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
NewSith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by SkitzoSniper View Post
I do agree that rexo should dominate in-doors, but that shield ability looks like it can be slightly OP in it's current form. I understand its the alpha so we will have to see what changes are made.
Also are weapons armor and class restricted? I can't remember if they said this would be so or not.
well there have been lights been seen with MCG's, but until its confirmed its probably just devs playing.
__________________

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Warborn
Contributor
Major General
 
Warborn's Avatar
 
Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link


Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
This is the first time I've been particularly concerned with what they're doing:
They're giving HA both the LMG and rocket at the same time. So HA gets the trifecta: AV capability, more health and a gun that's presumably stronger than the normal assault rifle. If they end up being able to carry the HA gun and Rocket at the same time...well what's the damn point of classes? We're back to HA/AV Rexo being a solomobile in all but their own medic ability.
Heavy assault can't heal themselves and has no special ability apart from being able to take damage and dish it out. The real question would be why anyone would ever use heavy assault if they didn't have a pretty dramatic advantage in terms of combat ability.

Actually, the question as it stands now is what exactly the point of MAXs is. Or, conversely, what the point of heavy assault is when MAXs have basically the same limitations, only they're also highly resistant to bullets. The dynamic between MAXs and heavy assault, making two classes whose only ability is to take damage and deal it be equally compelling, will be a fine line to walk.
Warborn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Wiki Activity Read More >
Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.