Gameplay: Naval Warfare and Potential "Continent" - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You have lost control of this vehicle.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-29, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Wandering Mania
Private

Re: Naval Warfare and Potential "Continent"

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
Orbital strikes are announced in game. And will almost certainly not be removed.
That is the whole idea if you can OS the fleet of ships that would be a good offence on pushing back a fleet. The faster ships may get out of range but the slower ones might not be so lucky. Kind of like in Planetside useing OS's to take down an enemy A.M.S. while the infintry are pushing you in your base. Slow down new reinforement arivles = Push attackers back a bit.
Old 2012-07-31, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

The reason we have water navy is to carry airplanes. Almost every ship in the navy is designed to support aircraft carriers. But we dont need aircraft carriers in ps2 because our aircraft dont ever run out of fuel. You could literally fly over the ocean forever.
Old 2012-07-31, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Gonzo
Private

An Aircraft Carrier, or its equivelant in PS2 would likely be equipped with aircraft spawning terminals. Instead of being a floating pit stop, it would be a floating factory. Pretty useful if you ask me. I would rather spawn on a flagship and take a plane from there than spawn at a base on the coast then fly out to the fleet.

Last edited by Gonzo; 2012-07-31 at 10:29 PM.
Old 2012-08-01, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sharkface
Private

I love me some naval combat! Hows about some capturable Super Carrier structures though instead of islands, Maybe just a few bases on land, 10-30 percent of the map maybe.
Old 2012-08-01, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I'm not a fan of naval 'arenas'. The naval aspect of the game must be viable on every continent to some degree. Even if all you can use effectively on say Indar is a river patrolboat.
Old 2012-08-01, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

If they have naval warfare they will need to get rid of out of bounds area and make it possible to sail or fly from one cont to another. Sure to fill those seas they could add some underwater facilities and platform facilities as well as docks/ports. Most smaller craft would have to be amphibious litoral type craft for swampy areas and coast land as well as small bodies of water.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Merkeva
Private

If a ship was big enough mabye they could "jam" or "shield" against orbital strkes until a certain part of the ship is disabled from within ?
Old 2012-08-01, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Griton
Private

Battling on massive floating fortresses sounds good to me!
Old 2012-08-04, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Wandering Mania
Private

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
An Aircraft Carrier, or its equivelant in PS2 would likely be equipped with aircraft spawning terminals. Instead of being a floating pit stop, it would be a floating factory. Pretty useful if you ask me. I would rather spawn on a flagship and take a plane from there than spawn at a base on the coast then fly out to the fleet.
That is what I was thinking also. But also on the other side it could also have Infintry spawn points as well.
If the loadstar is brought back however then it could also be one of 3 aircraft that must spawn at a base because of size.

The galixy, the libarator, and the loadstar would not be able to spawn on an aircraft carrier. But in the slight chance that the loadstar dose come back. Would you realy want to spawn one in the midst of a firefight? Most likely not.
Old 2012-08-05, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Don't need a new contenant, that would be too close to the caves from core combat, but definatly expanded abilities under water and mabey some underwater facilities. Als othe ability to "sail" from one map (aka contenant) to another on araxus.

Here is a list of ideas for under water capabilities for the classes.

Just an idea but here could be some cert for specalizing in water and marsh combat.

Infiltraitor Rebreath system, hides bubles along with cloak and makes it so you can stay under water indefinatly while other classes will have to carry O2 tanks or keep close to the surface. Also mabey a speargun type sniper rifle.

Light Asault hydrojet pack. A jetpack specificly designed to operate in water enviorments. Only quick jumps outside of water, but mabey just enough to jump out of the water to land on a bridge or boat or something.

Engineer hydro mines, OF course there should be more like mabey an O2 recharge station or something along those lines. Hey how about an underwater camp?

Heavy Asault Amphibious boyanccy device, without this the Heavy assault unit will be sunk to the bottom of the pond. Here he could swim much better and stay afloat indeffenatly, or switch it off to sink, or start sinking then activate it to ake an emergency surface.

MAX Anti-submarine weapons, Hey what else is a MAX for other than to take the big guns to the fight and these can be fired underwater. Als give the MAX some type of aqua jet device that works like a jumpjet under water but cannot be used out of water.
Old 2012-08-05, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Phisionary
Corporal

Originally Posted by Marinealver View Post
Don't need a new contenant, that would be too close to the caves from core combat, but definatly expanded abilities under water and mabey some underwater facilities. Als othe ability to "sail" from one map (aka contenant) to another on araxus.
If they at some point remove footholds or introduce continents without footholds, perhaps this could add an interesting dytnamic. I made a thread about the idea of a flying superfortess that could be built. Well, either that, or some sort of floating spawn/base carrier ship, could be used to implement a way to get a new foothold on a lost-continent. If the foothold was destroyed or something, you could take a set of secondary objectives that would construct and launch a floating faction base from a different continent that would sail across the ocean and introduce a new attack vector on the continent. That might be interesting.
Old 2012-08-05, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Wandering Mania
Private

Well the new contenant would not be at all close to the caves for 2 reasons.
1. It would be just like the others not enclosed in a tight ariea.
2. It would not have the annoying transit links that you can easly get lost on.

It would be concerderd new because it has more water coverage than any have had brefore but the reasoning for this is to make it more of a navy fight.

I do however think that "sailing" from 1 ariea to the next is a good idea. But this idea could be implmented inbetwene the "Main" contenants.

Engineer hydro mines, OF course there should be more like mabey an O2 recharge station or something along those lines. Hey how about an underwater camp?
You mean like Sea Mines or Depth Charges?

Originally Posted by Phisionary View Post
If they at some point remove footholds or introduce continents without footholds, perhaps this could add an interesting dytnamic. I made a thread about the idea of a flying superfortess that could be built. Well, either that, or some sort of floating spawn/base carrier ship, could be used to implement a way to get a new foothold on a lost-continent. If the foothold was destroyed or something, you could take a set of secondary objectives that would construct and launch a floating faction base from a different continent that would sail across the ocean and introduce a new attack vector on the continent. That might be interesting.
Maybe thay could put 1 foothold on 3 separite "main" contenants if thay do that and then when it is more open to fight to another contenant that is when naval battles take place to fight to the other contenants.
I know that it sounds more like the old lattuce link system but if the whole "planet" is on the hex system it could make for some intresting tactics/fights.
Old 2012-08-05, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
selmu
Private

Why use water vehicles when you can teleport?
Old 2012-08-05, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
KimJongLulz
Banned

I remember the old days of Battlefield 1942....the naval stuff was neat, maybe they'll revive it with PS2.
Old 2012-08-06, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by selmu View Post
Why use water vehicles when you can teleport?
In the old days that was the only way, beside why restrict yourself to land lock. Sure warpgate is a way to acces the cont but it is also predictible.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault