If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder? - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hrmm.. I dont think Hamma likes RPGs very much..
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-02, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
1. Who says modern theme has to also mean realistically themed combatants? That's only necessary in reality sims anyway. Just do something like Nod vs GDI from Command and Conquer. GI Joe vs Cobra, who cares.
2 You might disagree with me, but as I said, there is room in the marketplace for both, and there are plenty of future theme haters. Some overlap will occur, I am aware. Although the free 2 play model allows people to play both I think...
By the time someone gets into and plays Planetside, I don't think the theme will really matter. Planetside could be medieval and it would still rock the world.
Old 2012-06-02, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Why hasn't there been a MMOFPS released since 2003? SOE is chump change on the overall gaming landscape. Why haven't bigger players invested in it?
EA is probably just now coming into their dream payment scheme:
$60 for the game, $50 for Premium/prepaid DLC plan, $XX dollars for buying unlock packs, and servers being rented and paid for by the community instead of EA providing MMO server systems and GMs...and ALL of that is within the 12 to 24 month support life of an individual game.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Purple
Sergeant Major

compitition is great. it will keep plantside fresh and well funded.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

I had suggested in another thread that you guys convince SOE to let you hire a full additional team and also make a modern themed MMOFPS with the appropriate changes(large contiguous landmasses instead of islands, Blackhawks instead of Galaxies), which I thought would be a lot less work since half the work is just changing to modern theme appearances, and got shouted down as a fool. I'm sure that will happen now too, but I firmly believe there's room in the marketplace for both Planetside 2 and a modern theme shooter. If there is NOT, then, when someone does come out with a modern theme shooter, then either it or PS2 will die. And if there is, SOE being the first to bring a modern theme MMOFPS to market alongside PS2 could allow absolute domination of the market.
Wouldn't that just be Sony making its own competition? I think the majority of people are ok with both futuristic and modern themes, so it would just split a large chunk of the player base.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
Wouldn't that just be Sony making its own competition? I think the majority of people are ok with both futuristic and modern themes, so it would just split a large chunk of the player base.
For a game that's free to play I think a lot of people would play both and spend a little bit on unlocks in both, but that aside, I do believe there are enough people who are not interested in future theme as to provide a good market for a modern shooter. Obviously I can't prove that there are a lot of people who have future theme hate but it is what I believe. And, I'm not saying future theme hate isn't stupid, it is of course.

As I said, if there's enough room in the market for another company to add a modern MMOFPS and survive with PS2, then there's enough for for SOE release both and both survive. Yes there would be overlap.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
DrifterBG
Private

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Star I will tell you why. Microsoft a few years ago did a study on the FPS space. Their determination was that FPS should be console oriented. It's just too simplistic gameplay to offer long term value add. My suggestion to SOE is hold off releasing this game until PS4 is released.
Did Microsoft base their study off COD/BF3 with mostly infantry and small vehicle warfare? Or did they base it off something that arguably resembles real military warfare on a grand scale with vehicles, infantry, aircraft and a battlefield that stretches for hundreds of their pathetically small maps?

I, for one, HATE HATE HATE FPSes on consoles. I want to aim with my mouse, and not a joystick. If I want to aim my weapon, I don't want to have to counter aim because I went too far, or anything.

That, and I have little faith in Microsoft... their games usually suck unless it's on console, and even then they just distribute it... so I feel some bias coming from them.

Just because the $@%!ed up a halo port to the computer, doesn't mean there's no money in it... it just means they suck at it and are trying to cover their tracks.

I will also raise you the fact that people are still playing Planetside after A DECADE, which is 10 years, even without graphical upgrades or 'revolutionary' gameplay additions/changes in 5 years. No money in it? I laugh in their general direction, and in your general direction to a lesser extent for putting value in their 'findings'.

Last edited by DrifterBG; 2012-06-02 at 10:58 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Gelgoog
Private

Could you imagine the brand loyalty that a Star Wars MMOFPS with space combat would instantly inspire?
That could work, but implementing jedi would be difficult in a FPS. I have been burned on way too many star wars games, especially the MMOs.

Now if any of you ever played Mount & Blade: Warband, then that could be a route. The game is already medieval FPS mechanics, so you just branch it out to huge servers. You could do it historical like M&B with several factions-

-Asians
-Europeans
-Nordic
-Eastern
-Middle East

Setup where you control land and build fortresses on control points. Assaulting troops could build siege works. Have large open areas that can only have small field works for open battles.
Old 2012-06-02, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Jimmuc
Corporal

if something like an new WWII MMOFPS came out while i was playing PS2, i'd try it and then play it along with PS2 if i like it.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-02, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The biggest threat to PlanetSide 2 is PlanetSide 2.

For me PlanetSide was and remains the best game ever made. What destroyed it wasn't WoW or Halo or EVE or any outside party; it was PS's own development team that lost sight of the vision and butchered the game.

While fears of pay-to-win have subsided, they still linger as latent fears among many that I talk to. There's that fear that one day when the game is successful, they'll go and screw it up. They'll get greedy or think they can slide on something and it'll cascade into something that ruins the game. BFRs, Pay-to-Win, becoming a session shooter or attempting to carve PS2 into an ESport - these are all things that I see that loom as the harbingers of doom for PlanetSide 2. And its easy to see how any of them could slip in either because they think it might be cool or they see it as an opportunity to expand the business or appeal to more customers.

All we can do is wait and hope that they stay true to the essence of PlanetSide, don't over-reach, and keep the core gameplay principles in mind at all times when making changes.
Old 2012-06-02, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Speaking as a gamer, I can think of a lot of really amazing potential MMOFPSs that i'd love to play.

I'd love to see an MMOFPS with twitch FPS gameplay similar to Unreal Tournament - I love that gameplay style and think it could be made into a very cool MMOFPS.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't announce Halo online soon, seems like a no brainer for the 720 (if they call it that).

I'm looking forward to playing Firefall and I think Defiance will be pretty cool with the TV show tie in too.

Now, would any of these steal Planetside 2's thunder? No way. We're not tourists or newcomers on MMOFPS mountain, this is our hill and we have been and will remain the kings of this hill.
As much as I like to rip on you and your design, that last line made me laugh pretty hard. Badass quote there.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-02, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
FIREk
Captain

I'd love to see an MMOFPS with twitch FPS gameplay similar to Unreal Tournament - I love that gameplay style and think it could be made into a very cool MMOFPS.
For the most part that would be Tribes Universe, which I'm looking forward to very much - to have something to play between all those all-nighter PS2 binges, of course.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
cryosin
Master Sergeant

Speaking as a gamer, I can think of a lot of really amazing potential MMOFPSs that i'd love to play.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't announce Halo online soon, seems like a no brainer for the 720 (if they call it that).

I'm looking forward to playing Firefall and I think Defiance will be pretty cool with the TV show tie in too.

Now, would any of these steal Planetside 2's thunder? No way. We're not tourists or newcomers on MMOFPS mountain, this is our hill and we have been and will remain the kings of this hill.
Nice post! I think those games do look cool, but pale in comparison to what you guys are cooking
Old 2012-06-03, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Dreamcast
Major

Im glad that SOE decided to make Planetside 2 and start the revolution again.....

Back in 2003 when I was in middle School, I thought all modern games today were gonna be like Planetside...Huge wars with 1000's of people playing it, some would've of been WW2 MMO FPS while others would be fast twitch shooters. Sadly that never became true.

So Im really glad you guys are making Planetside 2 even if one day u guys lose the MMOFPS mountain which I hope never....and if it does happen, it will probably be way later when u guys start doing planetside 3

I hope you guys get competition soon because we all benifit as gamers and I hope you are right that halo MMOFPS is coming.

The battle I'm waiting for is Planetside 2 vs Blizzard-Activision MMOFPS...that is going to be great for us gamers...I bet you guys are going to push the limits.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-06-03 at 03:15 AM.
Old 2012-06-03, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Toppopia
Major

Someone mentioned Line Of Defence, seems like Planetside 2, just not as many people but has space battles and space stations and such, could be some competition to Planetside 2.
Old 2012-06-03, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

PlanetSide 3.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion