A confession - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dolphin safe
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-03, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: A confession

"You come into my forum and tell me this? What did I ever do to deserve this? Ring, you're dead to me."

Seriously though I do believe that tank combat in PS2 could be so much more than it is now. One thing I would certainly like to see is turret stabilization as default.
I'm also not all that keen on the Prowler's overall design... Why anchor mode? Just promotes boring'ish static combat, imo.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-03 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2013-06-03, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Rolfski
Major

Installed PS1 a weak ago and the first thing I noticed was how bad the driving and shooting mechanics are in that game, even for its time.
Old 2013-06-03, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hamma
PSU Admin

There are lots of things I have more fun doing in PlanetSide 2, Flying being one of them.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-03, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I'm also not all that keen on the Prowler's overall design... Why anchor mode? Just promotes boring'ish static combat, imo.
Personally, I love anchored mode. I have come to think of my prowler not so much as a tank, but direct-fire artillery with tanking capabilities.
Old 2013-06-04, 01:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
I have come to think of my prowler not so much as a tank, but direct-fire artillery with tanking capabilities.
Same here... And that's what I don't get. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why have it be the fastest MBT? Why give it a Vulcan? The Prowler just seems to scream close to med range combat, if you don't take the anchored mode into account.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-04, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Shogun
Contributor
General

in my opinion tank fights are too "fast paced" in ps2.
if you don´t have your tank pimped to the max, it feels like you are instagibbed by everything in the game...

but in all other games the word "tanking" means what it means for a reason.
why call it a tank, if it can´t take more than one hit of anything and survive?
those things feel more like those:

in ps1 a tank felt like a tank.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-04, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Sifer2
Major

In their defense I will say that there is no way an ability like Anchor mode would work for a 2 man tank. Since you essentially turn off the ability to drive so you can be a strong static turret gunner. And like the TC I actually have some fun with that.

In truth for 2 man play to be fun the vehicle has to have a need to stay mobile so the driver has something to do. It works great with the Harasser for that reason. But I actually think the MBT's are just too slow even the Prowler for a 2 man team to be of that much use. Tank play in this game really is mostly long range snipe fights.

I have gotten used to how they have chosen to implement tanks in PS2. I think it works but the is no doubt that it leaves you wondering what the point of the Lightning tank actually is now. Aside from being something you drive when your Empire has lost all Tech Plants.
Old 2013-06-04, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Figment
Lieutenant General

Anchor mode should simply not exist for anything but artillery (and tank destroyers with fixed turret). And artillery... should that exist?
Old 2013-06-04, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
In their defense I will say that there is no way an ability like Anchor mode would work for a 2 man tank. Since you essentially turn off the ability to drive so you can be a strong static turret gunner. And like the TC I actually have some fun with that.

In truth for 2 man play to be fun the vehicle has to have a need to stay mobile so the driver has something to do. It works great with the Harasser for that reason. But I actually think the MBT's are just too slow even the Prowler for a 2 man team to be of that much use. Tank play in this game really is mostly long range snipe fights.

I have gotten used to how they have chosen to implement tanks in PS2. I think it works but the is no doubt that it leaves you wondering what the point of the Lightning tank actually is now. Aside from being something you drive when your Empire has lost all Tech Plants.
That's the problem I see. That's why you get really big ass tanks and give the driver his own forward facing cannon!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion